• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Early Railway Memories

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingScot

Earliest one I can think of.... it's December 1970, there's snow on the ground and I'm looking over the wall at the bottom of Railway Terrace in Rugby watching AC Electrics flashing past with shiny E-prefix numbers on.

Another is from a little later on.....me, Mum, Dad and my two year old sister are travelling on the Met-Line tube from Euston Square to Hammersmith to visit my Nan, we arrive at Paddington and as the carriage doors open I can hear an almighty roar coming from the mainline platforms, our tube train departs then catches up and runs parallel to a blue liveried Warship hauled express, we stop at Royal Oak and I watch the Warship blasting up the slight incline to Westbourne Park.... I've loved them ever since (and all the other hydraulics!).

Nidge ;O)

Very vividly told. I can just imagine this monster of a diesel roaring up the incline. I wish I was there.:cry: It was the glory days I never experienced.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
My Gran used to take me through to Newcastle station to watch the trains when I was a little 'un, same seat at the end of platform 2 every time. So:

Brand new Intercity swallow 91 glinting in the sun leaving Newcastle for London.

Running excitedly out of the old waiting shelter at East Boldon station on the Durham coast to watch a RES 47 dragged IC225 approaching heading south, only to run back in, terrified from the sheer racket the 47 was making as the driver opened the taps on the straight! (I must have been about 5)

Proper 3+2 bus seating on Pacers, the smell of Pacer exhaust as they departed Seaburn, my local station.

Penrith station, double headed class 86s on a Crosscountry service, Intercity liveried 87s and 90s passing.

Watching the clag of the 47 hauling my train out the window on the tight bends between Newcastle and Durham, I think hauling a full West Coast carriage rake with DVT on an IC Crosscountry service, I seem to remember that at the age of about 6 the West Coast DVT looked "weird" when I was used to the IC225 DVTs round my way!

Orange and black 303s and first generation DMUs in Glasgow, all with what seemed at the time to be thousands of slam doors!

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I remember being on the train to London to visit relatives in 1971, long before HST's from Swansea! I had a boiled egg and toast in the restaurant car! I loved it, it was very exciting for a 5 year old to have breakfast on a train!

bnm

Established Member
As a 6 year old being babysat by my trainspotting uncle on Taunton Station in 1979.

He knew one of the bobbies in Taunton West box and on one quiet Sunday we were allowed into the box and I had a go on the levers (with help obviously!) Totally against the rules, but it sparked a lifelong passion for all things trains in me.

On another occasion at Taunton, being lifted into the cab of a 47, waiting for the RA, to toot the horn!

Happy days!

FlyingScot

Well, when I was seven I used to look out of my auntie's flat window and watched the class 90s and dvts fly by. This was in 2006, when one still ruled supreme, and when I went back to the window last summer, the trains were rebranded.:cry:

Earliest memories..............

Watching class 50's thundering through a closed down Euxton station in 1969 with my dad.
............ good days.

Established Member
Well, when I was seven I used to look out of my auntie's flat window and watched the class 90s and dvts fly by. This was in 2006, when one still ruled supreme, and when I went back to the window last summer, the trains were rebranded.:cry:

Still 90s though be it in ONE or NXEA livery, unless she lives on the WCML in which case there has been no re-branding

sprinterguy

Established Member
Still 90s though be it in ONE or NXEA livery,
Not QUITE One livery; the "refresher" bars at the cab ends (and on the carriages) are gone and been replaced by the mid body side white stripe as used on East Coast 225s. That constitutes a rebranding to me, I definitely wouldn't still be saying that the EC225s are in GNER livery after being given the same white stripe treatment. The rubbish white NX stripe ruins everything! But I agree, at least there still ARE 90s out that way, instead of endless streams of Pendo units (except for the Pretendolino).

Last edited:

ungreat

Watching Class 44,just "9",pulling an endless rake of 16 ton wagons along the Erewash Valley line in 1973

43021HST

Established Member
I remember when I was about 4 or 5 getting stuck in the ticket barriers at Kings cross tube station, and my Dad walking off not even realising that I had got stuck until I yelled for help. Then a nice lady lifted me out of the barriers and gave me a packet of fruitgums.

Lampshade

Established Member
My earliest memory is travelling on a train of some sort after visiting Windsor Safari Park, logic would suggest it was at Windsor & ER (I was only 2/3).

Then in December 1995 my Dad took me to London from Staines on whatever used to run on that line back then, arriving into Waterloo and having hot chocolate (in a glass :shock:). My earliest 'clear' memory was travelling from Fulwell to London Waterloo and back on a 455 in 1997 before a long drive back up to Preston.

Went back to Waterloo in 2008 for the first time since and I could remember absolutely nothing :(

Wyvern

Established Member
Travelling to visit my Aunt Marjory in St. Ives in Cornwall by train overnight, in 1940 I think. I can remember the wartime train, packed tight with soldiers, sailors and airmen. I remember sitting on the floor of the toilet, the only spare space on the train, with Mum opposite me. My Dad who, with his artificial leg, couldn't stand for long periods, sat on the seat. I have the feeling someone took pity on us, for I can vaguely remember the three of us moving into a compartment, and of my looking in awe at all the people in their uniforms.

My aunt met us at St. Ives station in her car and drove us to the studios fronting Porthmeor beach, where she lived. It had what was called a dickey seat which pulled out at the back for Mum and I to sit in.

Last edited:

Wyvern

Established Member
I dont remember such. There were of course no retention tanks, the toilet discharged straight on to the track.

caliwag

First spotting memory would be the trial of a class 26 on a freight from Edinburgh to Perth (and possibly beyond)...summer '58. I think within a year they were allocated to Inverness. Interesting that although Perth still had 80 odd black fives, lineside fires were a real problem on the Highland line.
Missed the early trial of a 31, which certainly made it to Perth.

Occasional visits by the metrovicks on the evening Heilan Piper goods (the Polmadie to us) would produce great excitement...most of my cops, other than loco swaps betweenn Upperby and Kingmoor, were produced by the Polmadie...Crewe South Scots, unrebuilt Patriots (never seen the like, I was 11) foreign Jubilees and black 5s. Apperently lay-overs from the Condor and Anglo-Scots passenger trains.

Incidentally the Condor would be the first timetabled diesel-hauled train in Scotland...discuss!
Earliest non-spotting memories...Perth to Dundee (the big city!), perhaps 1955 when 7 and the trial DMU from Crieff to Comrie in around '57...sign of things to come?..nah, the Gleneagles to Crieff/Comrie branch ended its days in 1964 with BR standard tanks and Black 5s with a couple of LMS coaches.

9K43

8Fs on the Fleetwood fishes - stale fish and coal smoke, a "Man's clag". Getting up to Lightfoot Lane by 6am, and being rewarded by seeing Duchess of Gloucester and Duchess of Buccleuch before anyone else turned up. Seeing Mallard on a special to Blackpool, with the lineside heaving with ordinary folk just wanting to see. Sheer joy when Britannia appeared on a Blackpool special.
And, just for the weirdos, seeing my first brush 4 in bright pink paint job.
[Am I the only one here born before the 70s?]

Mallard came to Blackpool in September 1960 with a charter called
"The North Rubber Special. "
Mr Alan Pegler was on board at this time.
I saw this train at Doncaster, I was 11 years old at the time.
I met Mr Pegler on numerous occasions when he was on charters to Scarborough with steam locos in charge. That was in the mid 2000's.
He is one of lifes gentlemen, he even offered me a brandy.
I had to decline this drink as EWS have a strict drugs and alchol policy, and rightly so.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
My dad took me down to British Oak Coal disposal site at Wakefield in the mid 1950's.
It was a Saturday morning and they had a J94 type saddle tank in steam on which the driver gave me and dad a ride up an down the sidings.
We then went to the Railway Station at Horbury Millfield Road, Horbury Jct, where my dad grew up.
On that railway bridge my dad had carved his name on the wall toppings in 1922.
He then carved my name underneath his, and I went down to this bridge last week and both names are still there.

bse35

My dad taking me to Kings cross to see the trains after school on some days.
Dad taking us on a trip on the DLR.
Going to the London Transport museum and seeing the little model LUL train and bus race each other down the spiral.
Going on the WAGN/NSE liveried 313's to friends on the great northern.
Getting Anglia to Diss and being excited if we were sitting in an intercity liveried coach.

kennethw

My earliest memories were the my godparents were based at Holsworthy north Devon and we travelled there and back by the Atlantic Coast express for 2 happy years - it was a letdown when they came to Ealing! At the tender age of less than 10, I had my priorities right and insisted that the train was the right way to travel between Holsworthy and Bude so we must have made a contribution, all to be swept away by Beeching, the site of Bude station now a housing estate. Fond memories of unrebuilt spam cans and BR standard tanks which were the usual performers, a 1962 ABC of Southern locomotives as well as being invited to go on the footplate

gdale1

My earliest memories are sitting on Bloomfield Rd bridge aged about 4 taking all the numbers down of the excursion trains and looking enviously across to Blackpool central sheds which at that age seemed miles away even though it was only the other end of the bridge. The highlight in the week was the London train which if I rememeber correctly left at 10.00 and was often pulled by 46100 Royal Scot.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Earliest memories are mid-70's ( pre-May '78 ), of big noisy blue Peaks and Duffs, on t'southern end of Midland Main Line. Clearer memory of school trip in late-autumn '84, with a Carlisle-Leeds trip; seeing my first 40 in passenger service; and, after a juddering halt in the Pennine wilderness, our cheery guard telling us that our train had broken down... I still recall the offender, 31432; but I can't recall the number of the 25/1 which rescued us.

caliwag

Nice one gdale1...recall a family hol at Blackpool in '64. Could not believe that Central was due to close...seemed so busy. Shedbashers guide suggested locos were held South of the station and lo, a string of Jubliees and Scots.
Took a day trip to Preston and Man Vic (parents didn't know)...Preston full of bank hol traffic and what seemed like streams of Coronations (probably 3 or 4, well seen 'em all in Perth anyway!) Vic was superb...a baby Deltic from Newton Le Willows wandered through.
Quite superb though... the longest platform in the country...still have a snap (from the Brownie box) of a double headed XC leaving exchange...to say nothing of banking up Miles Platting...superb. Ha sorry to ramble, but I can still see it all.:D

A couple of my early memories.

York in the very early 80's. Cant remember seeing a Deltic, but certainly remember the sound of HST's departing.

Ilkley when it was unstaffed and before the supermarket was built & Skipton line plaforms filled in & becoming the supermarket carpark.

GearJammer

My earliest memory is a cab ride on a Cardiff - Portsmouth train from Fareham to Portsmouth & Rtn when i was 5 or 6 years old, all i can remember is the big blue diesel (a crompton) coming to a stop in Fareham station and dad shouting above the roar of the engine saying to me 'Whos that driving the train' it was Uncle Tom that i only ever seen a few times a year, when he'd seen that i'd seen him he shouted out 'You wanna come for a ride?' i was up in that cab like a rocket! Funnily enough i remember nothing of the cab ride, i recall us at Portsmouth Harbour walking from one end of the train to the other and another crompton coming in, hooking up and eventually we got on it and came back again but again recall nothing of the locos, numbers, route, nothing! My last memory of that day was being in absolute floods of tears back on Fareham station as the crompton and Uncle Tom went roaring away towards Southampton!

scotsman

Established Member
In general. Scared of loud trains!
1. 37s on freights
2. Screaming HSTs
3. Waves and friendly two-tones (always the same tone combo) from the drivers
4. The odd 117 in locals, "the old train" and general dislike of the 150s
5. The love on Virgin HSTs (bright red! and recognised the name off coke bottles - yeah, nineties guys)
5. The joy of watching the red and yellow front cruise round the bend at Inverkeithing
6. Riding a Great Western trains Mk3 on loan to Virgin XC into Edinburgh

Welshman

Established Member
Halifax [Town] station in the 1950s [long before Eureka!] when it boasted six platforms and two signalboxes. The lovely aroma of toffee and chocolate from Mackintosh's just adjacent. Sitting in the large waiting room on platform 3, listening to the solemn tick of the station clock and the popping of the gas mantles. Eventually the Leeds/Bradford train arrived - six red coaches hauled by a Crab or a Black Five, and you were away on your journey - only to stop again about 10 minutes down the line at Low Moor, while the front 3 coaches were detatched for Bradford Exchange and a tank engine came down from the shed to take the rear 3 on to Leeds Central, eventually getting the road through a smokey Bowling tunnel and forking right instead of dropping down to Bradford. Arriving at a dingy Leeds Central and the dash to Leeds City for a connection onwards.
On returning, the climb out of Leeds through Holbeck High level up to Armley Moor, then arriving again at Low Moor, the tank engine coming off, and the 3 coaches waiting on the main line while the 3 from Bradford arrived at the back platform, drew forward ahead of us and then backed down on to us. Then on together to Halifax and Beacon Hill tunnel [which was usually filled with smoke], with the treadle near the end giving an audible warning to the loco crew that they were approaching daylight again and the signals protecting the station just outside the tunnel.
Then the amazement of travelling on a Derby Lightweight dmu between Leeds and Bradford in 1957, with those large front windows and pretending to be the driver, and begging my parents to pay extra in case the 1st class was at that end. Those were the days before drivers used to leave the blinds down all day.
The pre-printed Edmondson card return tickets you had to break in two, but the ticket office staff would cut the ticket at an angle to signify it was for a child. Noting the number one week and finding I'd been issued with the other half the following week....
I could go on all night......

LoversWalk75A

Seaford - British Railways Southern Region
My earliest memory was being sandwiched into a very comfortable compartment onboard a 2EPB into London Bridge. I was only 3 but it's always stuck in my mind of how dimly lit the carriages were, and who the people reading large newspapers were and where did they go once they got off the train.

I've always had a passion for Southern Region slammers since then!

Status
Not open for further replies.