• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Easement from Abergele allowing doubleback via Colwyn Bay or Rhyl?

gray1404

Established Member
Is anyone aware of any easements from Abergele and Pensarn allowing doubleback via Colwyn Bay or Rhyl on a Sunday?

The Sunday timetable at Abergele is dreadful with late starts and very long gaps in the service pattern. There are usually trains going through but not stopping.

I have previously been able to get a booking engine to sell me a ticket allowing travel in the opposite direction, depending on if I'm going East or West, then a double back to my destination but not stopping at Abergele but I can't reproduce this anymore.

The poor service provision is so bad for Abergele I'm tempted to write to my family's Welsh Assembly Member from their local address. There are usually TfW services but just not stopping.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
The stations Abergele, Rhyl and Colwyn Bay do not feature in any easements, so it would appear not.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Could a walk up ticket from the Bangor/Holyhead side of the North Wales Coast line legitimately be bought for the same price so as to enable double back via Rhyl or even Prestatyn, rather than buying to Abergele and Pensarn?

Abergele and Pensarn looks to be in the same-priced fares cluster as Rhyl/Prestatyn for a number of flows.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Is anyone aware of any easements from Abergele and Pensarn allowing doubleback via Colwyn Bay or Rhyl on a Sunday?

The Sunday timetable at Abergele is dreadful with late starts and very long gaps in the service pattern. There are usually trains going through but not stopping.

I have previously been able to get a booking engine to sell me a ticket allowing travel in the opposite direction, depending on if I'm going East or West, then a double back to my destination but not stopping at Abergele but I can't reproduce this anymore.

The poor service provision is so bad for Abergele I'm tempted to write to my family's Welsh Assembly Member from their local address. There are usually TfW services but just not stopping.
There's a number 12 bus from Rhyl to Llandudno that calls at Abergele station every 20 minutes on a Sunday.