• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Easing of Coronavirus restrictions in Scotland

Status
Not open for further replies.

route101

Established Member
Not as many mask wearers as I was expected in shops or on the trains. Quite a few office workers on train into Glasgow, surprised me as I thought Monday would be a favoured WFH day.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Not as many mask wearers as I was expected in shops or on the trains. Quite a few office workers on train into Glasgow, surprised me as I thought Monday would be a favoured WFH day.
My impression is more people prefer to take Friday and if possible Thursday off than a Monday. Thursdays always seem to be a lot busier than before, practically Friday/Saturday busy.

102 fan

Agreed. The amount of plastic that has been wasted during the past two years is outrageous. Where has it all gone now? Has it been stored somewhere pending future use or simply gone in a skip somewhere?

It's amazing how plastic went from being the cause of many environmental problems, to the saviour from Covid. Now things are returning to normal, is plastic going to be the environmental Antichrist again?

Berliner

Single use plastic is discouraged due to it being sent to landfil a lot of the time, but plastic which has long term use is not really frowned upon. In any event keeping the screens in place would be good for the environment as it means none of the plastic is wasted.

Single use plastic is discouraged due to it being sent to landfil a lot of the time, but plastic which has long term use is not really frowned upon. In any event keeping the screens in place would be good for the environment as it means none of the plastic is wasted.

And what about the chemicals which are needed to regularly clean the useless screens? Are they good for the environment too?

VauxhallandI

Established Member
So in order to cover up the waste of the plastic let’s keep them forever even though they are pretty much pointless.

Proves there is always a bigger hole to dig

102 fan

And the single use plastics in the test kits and masks? Are they considered OK?

BluePenguin

On Moderation
As someone who is hard of hearing, plastic screens in shops were the most offensive thing personally, second only to masks of course.

If we had to keep any restriction permanently, I'd take all the one-way systems and social distancing in the world over having my ability to communicate removed.

Different people will have been affected by different restrictions and mitigations in different ways - which is why it's so important that we remove all of them, and not just the most offensive.
It’s impossible to hear someone speak wearing a mask from behind the plastic screen. I went to the doctor the other day and had to speak very very loudly to be heard by the receptionist. Good thing I wasn’t there for anything private or sensitive and only needed a dressing

VauxhallandI

Established Member
It’s impossible to hear someone speak wearing a mask from behind the plastic screen. I went to the doctor the other day and had to speak very very loudly to be heard by the receptionist. Good thing I wasn’t there for anything private or sensitive and only needed a dressing
I’ve just been into my GP surgery, it looked like it had been tagged by graffiti artists. There were so many posters about masks!

They are living in another world and I would tell the Dr if they existed.

I didn’t wear one for my operation on Monday so I am sure as hell not wearing one in the Dr shop.

Last edited:

Peter0124

Established Member
I just wish they’d give it a rest. I last travelled a couple of weeks ago and there were 3 different face covering messages, voiced by different people, playing on rotation, one of which is just a long string of patronising orders about letting people off the train, standing back from the platform edge and the usual favourite, buying a ticket before boarding. GIVE IT A (expletive here) REST!!!!!!!!!
The constant announcements at Scotrail stations are starting to do my head in.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
That sounds like a version of the Sunk Cost Fallacy.
I can only asssume @Berliner's post was tounge in cheek and was missing a ';)' smiley!

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
With the restrictions now revoked, perhaps Sturgeon's mouthpiece Jason Leitch can actually get back to doing the day job he is actually qualified in i.e. dentistry.

One of Leitch's first tasks could be is to sort out the dental practices in Cumbernauld, as registrations for new patients have been suspended since March 2020. I know one person at least who still has to travel to the dental practice that they used in Paisley when they used to reside there.

Kite159

Veteran Member
With the restrictions now revoked, perhaps Sturgeon's mouthpiece Jason Leitch can actually get back to doing the day job he is actually qualified in i.e. dentistry.

One of Leitch's first tasks could be is to sort out the dental practices in Cumbernauld, as registrations for new patients have been suspended since March 2020. I know one person at least who still has to travel to the dental practice that they used in Paisley when they used to reside there.
If it's like NHS dentists in this area, most are not taking on new NHS patients (but will quite happily take you on as a private patient).

I wonder if the Euro Hostel in Glasgow has gotten rid of the slightly over the top screen on reception (from desk to roof with only small gaps at the bottom in order to pass paperwork through, very much bank style). I guess I will find out on Saturday night

--------

One way system still in use at the entrance of the Coatbridge Tesco Extra. Also the bank style plastic screen is still in place at the EuroHostel.

Mask wearing is probably less than 5%, including one lady who decided to stand in the heavy rain wearing her mask because the shelter had a couple people inside. Probably more chance at catching a cold from getting wet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.