• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Anglia Bus Scene

MotCO

Established Member
Was the tree branch lower than usual due to the heavy rain? Or was the bus off-route? Probably to early to say.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

buslad1988

Ipswich Buses appear to have a chronic driver shortage at the moment - after a few months of settling down (and First seemingly not having the same issues).

A quick look at their twitter feed confirms numerous daily cancellations for the past few weeks and tonight includes the final two journeys on services 9/10 and 12; see here:

At what point will they bring in temporary timetables to address the problem?

F Great Eastern

Established Member
I was waiting almost an hour for a 13 a couple of weeks ago due to several duties cut.

First have won a fair bit of contract work in the area recently, so I'm wondering if that's had an impact in terms of drivers moving across?

They have announced an eye watering 111 (One hundred and eleven) cancellations today.

Service 3
Tower Ramparts
0845, 0938, 1250. 1338, 1426. 1518. 1605. 1705. 1810

John Lewis
0908, 0958, 1310. 1358, 1446. 1538. 1626. 1730. 1833

Service 5

Tower Ramparts
0915, 1000, 1045, 1130, 1215, 1300. 1345. 1430. 1515

Hospital
0935, 1020, 1105, 1150, 1235, 1320. 1405. 1450. 15.35

Service 8

Tower Ramparts
0900, 1000, 1100, 1200, 1300. 14.00. 15.00 16.00 1700. 1805. 1905

Asda
0925, 1024, 1124, 1224, 1324. 1424. 1524. 1624. 1724. 1835. 1926

Service 9

ex Tower Ramparts
0930, 1110, 1250, 1430. 1610. 1750, 23:05

Service 10

ex Tower Ramparts
0840, 1020, 1200, 1340. 1520. 1700, 22:05

Service 12

ex Tower Amparts
21:35, 22:25,

Service 13

Tower Ramparts
0850, 0920, 0950, 1020, 1050, 1120, 1150, 1220, 1250, 1320. 1350. 1420. 1450. 1520. 1550. 1620. 1650. 1725. 1755

Tesco
0917, 0947, 1017, 1047, 1117, 1147, 1247, 1247, 1317, 1347. 1417. 1447. 1517. 1547. 1617. 1647. 1717. 1757

And honestly, I would say it's probably more than that.

They didn't seem to post a batch of cancellation for services between 6.00pm and I find it difficult to believe that if they were struggling all day things magically were a lot better from 6pm to 10pm before having issues again at close of service.

Last edited:

buslad1988

I was waiting almost an hour for a 13 a couple of weeks ago due to several duties cut.

First have won a fair bit of contract work in the area recently, so I'm wondering if that's had an impact in terms of drivers moving across?

They have announced an eye watering 111 (One hundred and eleven) cancellations today.

And honestly, I would say it's probably more than that.

They didn't seem to post a batch of cancellation for services between 6.00pm and I find it difficult to believe that if they were struggling all day things magically were a lot better from 6pm to 10pm before having issues again at close of service.
Surely they should reduce services like the 3, 8 and 13 to every 15 minutes to take some buses out. Atleast the service would be reliable - all they’re doing at the moment is putting fare payers off using their buses (especially in rush hour).

If it was the odd day then fair enough but it’s consistently every day now. Blaming the national driver shortage is also becoming a bit long in the tooth. Would be nice if they could put a news item on their website apologising for the situation and explaining what they’re trying to do to combat it.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Already reached around 50 cancellations for today and that's only up until 1pm. The afternoon and evening cancellations not announced yet.

For sure they will be prioritising schools services. For the Ipswich School services under Kura there are serious penalties for not operating. But also there is argument that the growing number of closed door school services are part of the problem as it takes both revenue and staff out of the public system.

buslad1988

Already reached around 50 cancellations for today and that's only up until 1pm. The afternoon and evening cancellations not announced yet.

For sure they will be prioritising schools services. For the Ipswich School services under Kura there are serious penalties for not operating. But also there is argument that the growing number of closed door school services are part of the problem as it takes both revenue and staff out of the public system.
Looks as though temporary timetables are finally going to be coming. This news article states frequencies but no dates. Nothing on IB’s website yet either.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Looks as though temporary timetables are finally going to be coming. This news article states frequencies but no dates. Nothing on IB’s website yet either.

They've posted the changes now. But considering the number of services they are cancelling it still will be hard to deliver.

It looks like three routes are going to lose on bus an hour but earlier this week they've been dropping two buses an hour.

Farigiraf

New U2 Universal in Cambridge is amazing, finally there's a bus to the station from reasonably close to me, will save me from 25 mins in the rain on those cursed days

And it's the only bus brand (U) in Cambridge that isn't always late!

I was firmly on Stagecoach's side but Go-Whippet have really stepped it up

Surreyman

I note that on the current Konnectbus operators licence, Rackheath is no longer show as an operating centre, assume it has closed?

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Some Beestons updates
- The loan decker YN04 UJS from Mulleys has gone back.
- OmniTown YN04 ANR has been withdrawn and has a SORN.
- OmniTown YN04 AMX has been reinstated after being out of service for a while.

Also the 91 is being revised again from January apparently, I presume the Sudbury to Hadleigh leg on a Saturday is being cut as that is when the subsidy runs out.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Further Beestons Updates

BUS 91A has left the fleet apparently as of last week. Not able to independently verify this yet.

YN55NDY, MX06LDNuYN55NJZ are shortly to become BUS 91C, BUS 91D and 91E.

No idea which one has got which. Changes to registrations are imminent but have not happened yet.

Last edited:

F Great Eastern

Established Member
See January Service Update here for Suffolk: https://www.suffolkonboard.com/bus/bus-timetable-updates/

The 91 (90) will be split into two connecting routes? Is this to further put people off using it and enable the inevitable axe to fall in due course.

I believe it is a clever way to get extra revenue by getting paid twice for those free pass passengers who are traveling from Sudbury to Ipswich.

The majority of passengers doing the whole route during the day are concessionary pass holders and Suffolk County Council only agreed to subsidise the Sudbury to Hadleigh leg until the end of the year.

The Hadleigh to Sudbury leg is the one on life support, this will probably keep it going for a bit longer. The Hadleigh to Ipswich leg is far better performing.

Last edited by a moderator:

buslad1988

Stagecoach are undertaking a review of the Haverhill network and are asking for passenger feedback.

At Stagecoach East, we care about keeping local communities connected to the people and places that matter most. We regularly review our passenger numbers and the customer feedback we receive, so that we can continue to make improvements to our services.

Currently, there are low passenger numbers on the 131 and 131A routes within Haverhill and we recognise that the network in its current form can be a little confusing. We also understand that fast and direct journeys between Haverhill and Cambridge are important for the local community.

Following this analysis, we have designed a new network that will be introduced from Sunday 3rd March 2023. This will consist of three routes: 13, 13A and X13. All three of these routes will operate between Haverhill and Cambridge, and a full overview of the new network can be found below.

Main changes are the removal of the Town Service and the estates will be fully incorporated into the 13 and new 13A.

Assume a bus will be saved somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
A quick reminder - any link to an external source needs to be accompanied by a relevant quote from that source. Thanks

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Beestons re-registrations

YN55 NDY to BUS 91C (confirmed)
YN55 NJZ to BUS 91D (confirmed)
MX06 LDN to BUS 91E (confirmed)

Last edited:

Megafuss

Stagecoach are undertaking a review of the Haverhill network and are asking for passenger feedback.

Main changes are the removal of the Town Service and the estates will be fully incorporated into the 13 and new 13A.

Assume a bus will be saved somewhere.
Minus some timetable changes, that looks suspiciously like what was in place before they messed around with the Haverhill services in the first place

CBlue

Minus some timetable changes, that looks suspiciously like what was in place before they messed around with the Haverhill services in the first place

Barring the Ann Suckling Road extension and changes to routes at peak times, yes...it's basically the pre Oct 2022 timetable routing. However the X13 will now be running all day M-F which is definitely welcome.

The 131/131A weren't popular, and running empty 'deckers around the town all day was a total waste given how much the rest of the network got slimmed down (plus a minor double-deck shortage at Cambridge depot)

duncombec

Am I missing something (not an area I know), or are there differences between the suggested new Area Map for Haverhill, and the individual route maps and timetables in the consultation leaflet?

The area map does not show the 13 going to Cambridge, and continuing around the Millfields Way/Chalkstone Way section whereas the service map shows it terminating at Millfields Way and going to Cambridge, whilst the 13A individual service map does not show the service via Chalkstone Way.

buslad1988

The area map does not show the 13 going to Cambridge, and continuing around the Millfields Way/Chalkstone Way section whereas the service map shows it terminating at Millfields Way and going to Cambridge, whilst the 13A individual service map does not show the service via Chalkstone Way.
I did spot a few anomalies on the maps as well between the network/individual routes.

The timetable itself is very complicated too and not easy to read! I understand to be helpful they’ve listed every bus stop but between 11am and 3pm it’s difficult to know what’s going on? It looks like the 13/13A will be a Haverhill town service off peak every 20/40 minutes?

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Further Beestons Fleet Changes
  • Scania N230UB Omnilink BUS 91A has been repainted Orange and moved to Mulleys with previous registration YT11 LPY

• Scania N94UB East Lancs OmniTown YN04 AMX has now become BUS 91A and will be used on route 90 Hadleigh to Sudbury on Saturdays and non school days.
Unfortunately since the split of the 91 service to 90 (Sudbury to Hadleigh) and 91 (Hadleigh to Ipswich) the services no longer track properly on bustimes.org.

RacsoMoquette

Does anybody have any idea if Mulley's two Dealer White liveried ex Reading Buses diesel Optare Metrodeckers have turned a wheel in service yet recently? As on Bustimes.org, they have only occasionally ventured out on route 988 and often they do not operate for prolonged periods. Often the 988 is worked by YN04 XXX Scania Omnidekkas.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Serious incident this evening in Polstead, nearly Hadleigh, where a Beestons vehicles has come off the road and ended up in a field, multiple fire engines, police and ambulance called. 3 have been taken to hospital. It was not on the 91 route, as both BUS 91C and BUS 91E operating the route at the time have been seen since.

Does anybody have any idea if Mulley's two Dealer White liveried ex Reading Buses diesel Optare Metrodeckers have turned a wheel in service yet recently? As on Bustimes.org, they have only occasionally ventured out on route 988 and often they do not operate for prolonged periods. Often the 988 is worked by YN04 XXX Scania Omnidekkas.
YJ23 EKN has been in service for the last few days.

Kartenga

On Moderation
Serious incident this evening in Polstead, nearly Hadleigh, where a Beestons vehicles has come off the road and ended up in a field, multiple fire engines, police and ambulance called. 3 have been taken to hospital. It was not on the 91 route, as both BUS 91C and BUS 91E operating the route at the time have been seen since.

YJ23 EKN has been in service for the last few days.
You are correct. It was not the 90 service to Sudbury but was in fact the 84C connecting service from Colchester Sixth-form. Unfortunately 3 people went to Hospital but only as a precaution. Bus involved can not be disclosed currently.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
You are correct. It was not the 90 service to Sudbury but was in fact the 84C connecting service from Colchester Sixth-form. Unfortunately 3 people went to Hospital but only as a precaution. Bus involved can not be disclosed currently
Hope driver and passengers are okay.

Pretty sure I know which bus it is, based on it not being out on it's regular school run this morning and the picture in the EADT, but not going to name it since there is a reason not to seemingly.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
I believe that Beestons 523 FN / YN03 DDA that was involved in the incident on Tuesday has now sadly been written off.

The vehicle doesn't come up on the gov.uk vehicle service under 523 FN registration plate anymore so that would appear to confirm it's fate.

According to BusListsOnTheWeb, this was a historic vehicle, in that it was the first ever low floor Scania Double Deck vehicle to be built in the UK:

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Beestons open top Scania Omnidekka BUS 91R (formerly YN55NKZ) is to leave the fleet and has been sold to an operator in Ireland

Also the last remaining Enviro 400 MMC YX23 OSM is due to leave shortly, with the delivery of the new Volvo / MCV Double deckers due in the coming weeks.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
I believe that Beestons 523 FN / YN03 DDA that was involved in the incident on Tuesday has now sadly been written off.

The vehicle doesn't come up on the gov.uk vehicle service under 523 FN registration plate anymore so that would appear to confirm it's fate.

According to BusListsOnTheWeb, this was a historic vehicle, in that it was the first ever low floor Scania Double Deck vehicle to be built in the UK:

A new Volvo based delivery to Beestons is 523FN, which inherits the plate that the Omnidekka that was written off used.

Unclear at the moment what vehicle this is.

Scania Irizar i6 222 GRA has also departed Beestons.

Last edited:

Kartenga

On Moderation
A new Volvo based delivery to Beestons is 523FN, which inherits the plate that the Omnidekka that was written off used.

Unclear at the moment what vehicle this is.

Scania Irizar i6 222 GRA has also departed Beestons.
There is a Yellow Plaxton coach that has appeared in their yard. This was seen yesterday on passing. Not sure if will be in fleet or it’s with their PSV Recycling LTD company.