• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Anglia planned pylons

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Won't the buzzing just be 50hz hum, the "crackling" will be discharge, the 33kV lines on wooden pylons that go through work can be quite loud when it's damp.
Never sure of the exact mechanisms in play, but I’m pretty sure it’s not the main structure of the pylon.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ediswan

Established Member
Never sure of the exact mechanisms in play, but I’m pretty sure it’s not the main structure of the pylon.
As far as I am aware, there are two sources. The wires themselves, and the insulators attaching the wires to the pylons. The condition of those insulators is a factor.

dgl

Established Member
As far as I am aware, there are two sources. The wires themselves, and the insulators attaching the wires to the pylons. The condition of those insulators is a factor.
and naturally a wet insulator (well assuming it's not distilled water!) will conduct some electricity to the structure, causing corona discharge

bleeder4

Personally i prefer the traditional style metal pylons/towers to the new T type which look like ski lifts.
I'm the opposite. I prefer the new T type pylons, I think they look much smarter and less intrusive than the traditional ones. Driving down the M5 from the Midlands, I always know when I've passed into Somerset when I start seeing those T shaped pylons. Incidentally, my understanding is that the traditional ones are shaped the way they are because they were designed during the unlocking of Tutankhamun's tomb during a time period when the general public was going crazy for Egyptian style architecture.

ABB125

Established Member
The BBC is now covering today‘s National Grid announcement (link below). Government straight on the defensive, but they can’t have a future based on offshore wind and solar etc without some sort of change to the distribution system. (Although there’s probably MPs who think it can all be done with batteries…)

Is it just me who is surprised by the fact that the ESO will be apparently transferring to the government later this year?

Snow1964

Established Member
According to the plans, a significant stretch of the route will be buried where it goes around the picturesque "constable country" area south of Ipswich.
Very similar to the new t-pylon route in Somerset to Hinkley point.
That has underground section through Mendip Hills. They are also removing about 30 existing pylons and moving that underground at same time

New route is 48.5km are overhead, and 8.5km underground. A few conventional pylons exist near the ends. Wiring has just finished