• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Anglia Bus Scene

Mr Manager

I think it’s the bus side but was told they're in discussions but in the past they had Beestons (Hadleigh) LTD for the coach side and Constable Coaches LTD T/A Beestons for the bus side of the business.
Not any Longer :) PF0000024 SN Licence surrendered WEF 9 February 2021 CONSTABLE COACHES LTD Director(s): PHILLIP ROY MUNSON, SHARON JANE MUNSON THE COACH DEPOT, IPSWICH ROAD, HADLEIGH, IPSWICH, IP7 6BG

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kartenga

On Moderation
Bet in a few days it will be updated with new directors as happened to a previous company I worked for so would not be suprised at all

Steve_B

Cut the route into two - Ipswich Buses operating a 91 Ipswich-Hadleigh, and Chambers (based in Sudbury) running the Sudbury-Gt Cornard-Hadleigh section (maybe as a "791"?), with buses timed to connect at Hadleigh Magdalen Road.

The Ipswich Buses part would certainly fit in nicely with their ever-expanding "Babergh & Essex" operation (2/2A/92/93/94/97 etc.). Shame, as they appear to have lost interest in tidying up their own "Town" network, which is like a throwback to the 1980's. When the basic concept of a bus route connecting a housing estate to a retail park and/or key employment area, is yet to be discovered - in 2021 - , something is going drastically wrong.

Why do you think Ipswich Buses have lost interest in their town network? there was a major network review in 2018 and the town is well served, and pre COVID the town network had year on year growth. What would you change?

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Seems they had three rather uncommon vehicles on the 91 today, ones which hadn't even been seen before on tracking https://bustimes.org/operators/beestons/vehicles

Suggests a fleet reconfig has happened or is happening? Seems weird to have so many vehicles at their disposal and for suddenly three different vehicles turn up that have never been on the 91 since at least vehicles were tracking (which seems to be November)

Bet in a few days it will be updated with new directors as happened to a previous company I worked for so would not be suprised at all

When was that license last used? Must have been 10 years or so ago since I've seen them operating with legals for Constables?

Qwerty133

Established Member
Seems they had three rather uncommon vehicles on the 91 today, ones which hadn't even been seen before on tracking https://bustimes.org/operators/beestons/vehicles

Suggests a fleet reconfig has happened or is happening? Seems weird to have so many vehicles at their disposal and for suddenly three different vehicles turn up that have never been on the 91 since at least vehicles were tracking (which seems to be November)
With schools going back next week it may well be that they are bringing buses out of hibernation in order to operate schools services which have been paused since Xmas and sending them out in service this week so that issues are spotted and sorted whilst they have plenty of spares available.

dlp_888

Why do you think Ipswich Buses have lost interest in their town network? there was a major network review in 2018 and the town is well served, and pre COVID the town network had year on year growth. What would you change?

The (long overdue) network review in 2018 was a step in the right direction, however it didn't go far enough - there are still some obvious gaps in the network where areas are poorly connected, often this results in the need to "change buses" in the town centre which could so easily be avoided with some simple route amendments. We're well aware that "cross-town" workings in Ipswich are difficult to achieve with the town centre's awkward road layout/gyratory, traffic congestion and non-existent bus priority measures, but nothing is impossible. I would have pushed for the following:

• A better (frequent) connection from Whitton/Castle Hill estates through to Asda & Anglia Retail Park - achieved by merging the 9/10 into one service and extend from Meredith Road via Whitehouse Road/Goddard Road/Bury Road loop (this will also create a service to the upcoming North West Ipswich Medical Centre on the former Tooks site). Frequency of 5 buses per hour, no change to vehicle requirement. Creates a much needed link between housing estates and retail areas in North-West Ipswich - much, MUCH more potential in that 9/10 than the current "circular" service that's had no changes since 1987 - its stale!

• Splitting the 15/15A into two seperate services, and extending BOTH to terminate at Tesco Copdock via Shepherd Drive/Scrivener Drive (NOT Ward Road) - creates new link from Maidenhall/Stoke Park estates to Tesco Copdock/retail, also creates service to Aldi Pinewood store + alternative travel options to Suffolk One. Restore 3 bus per hour frequency to service 15. 15A remain as every 30 minutes (re-number service to "17").

• Amend route 4 to serve Broke Hall, THEN to Sainsburys Warren Heath, terminating at Futura Park, NOT Bixley. (route from Felixstowe Road via Bixley Road, Penshurst Road, Ashdown Way, Felixstowe Road, Sainsburys then Futura Park - Broke Hall loop served both inbound and outbound). Creates new linking of Felixstowe Road/Broke Hall with south-east Ipswich retail areas. No change to frequency, no additional vehicle requirement.

• Extend service 6 to serve Bixley (instead of the 4). Adjust current running times and use Hospital layover time to accommodate route extension. Creates new link between Bixley and Ipswich Hospital.

• 1 and 3 terminus moved forward to Sainsburys Warren Heath.

ITFC21

The (long overdue) network review in 2018 was a step in the right direction, however it didn't go far enough - there are still some obvious gaps in the network where areas are poorly connected, often this results in the need to "change buses" in the town centre which could so easily be avoided with some simple route amendments. We're well aware that "cross-town" workings in Ipswich are difficult to achieve with the town centre's awkward road layout/gyratory, traffic congestion and non-existent bus priority measures, but nothing is impossible. I would have pushed for the following:

• A better (frequent) connection from Whitton/Castle Hill estates through to Asda & Anglia Retail Park - achieved by merging the 9/10 into one service and extend from Meredith Road via Whitehouse Road/Goddard Road/Bury Road loop (this will also create a service to the upcoming North West Ipswich Medical Centre on the former Tooks site). Frequency of 5 buses per hour, no change to vehicle requirement. Creates a much needed link between housing estates and retail areas in North-West Ipswich - much, MUCH more potential in that 9/10 than the current "circular" service that's had no changes since 1987 - its stale!

• Splitting the 15/15A into two seperate services, and extending BOTH to terminate at Tesco Copdock via Shepherd Drive/Scrivener Drive (NOT Ward Road) - creates new link from Maidenhall/Stoke Park estates to Tesco Copdock/retail, also creates service to Aldi Pinewood store + alternative travel options to Suffolk One. Restore 3 bus per hour frequency to service 15. 15A remain as every 30 minutes (re-number service to "17").

• Amend route 4 to serve Broke Hall, THEN to Sainsburys Warren Heath, terminating at Futura Park, NOT Bixley. (route from Felixstowe Road via Bixley Road, Penshurst Road, Ashdown Way, Felixstowe Road, Sainsburys then Futura Park - Broke Hall loop served both inbound and outbound). Creates new linking of Felixstowe Road/Broke Hall with south-east Ipswich retail areas. No change to frequency, no additional vehicle requirement.

• Extend service 6 to serve Bixley (instead of the 4). Adjust current running times and use Hospital layover time to accommodate route extension. Creates new link between Bixley and Ipswich Hospital.

I have joined this forum purely to get involved in this conversation. There are some great ideas there dlp_888! I echo your thoughts that the home town buses have been left behind. More attention seems to go on country and contracts, except the 8B which sounds like a variation of the 8 but runs from a different bus station and is totally separate!

Speaking of which I see the next brand is 8 as ‘Whitehouse’s Own’ which is probably the oddest. In my opinion like a Lidl/Aldi poor relation of Trent Barton. All a bit Del Boy haha.

Your changes make sense. It would save bus hopping through tower ramparts, especially as the driver gets off for a break at the bus station for what seems like an age! Maybe running cross-town services (like Ipswich Reds 66 and Park & Ride) would be better with recovery time at the terminus rather than the bus station which seems more for the convenience of the driver than passengers. Other bigger towns than Ipswich must have congestion too and manage it.

In particular like the 9/10 and 15 ideas. Some of those have been the same the whole 20 plus years I’ve lived in the town.

I also see they are planning to use a coach on this years day trips programme. Is this wheelchair accessible?

Does anyone here know if they’ll order some of those wright single decks they had on trial recently too?

Last edited by a moderator:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I think it's time for a bit of a rules refresher:

All contributions should be readable and understandable. You should use the forum's default font and formatting, unless appropriate to aid clarity. Additionally you should make reasonable efforts to use correct spelling, punctuation and grammar in all your contributions.

I try not to wield the grammar hammer too often, but recently I've noticed that quite a few posts in this thread have failed to comply with our forum rules. Please refrain from posting long passages of text without any punctuation.

I will, where possible, do my best to correct poor posts, but in the event that I cannot make head nor tail of what you're trying to say, your post will be deleted.

Steve_B

Some really good points there, the 9 & 10 might be difficult as its a very political area but the others especially the 1/3/15/15A are really good, especially with the uncertainty for the John Lewis store.
I have joined this forum purely to get involved in this conversation. There are some great ideas there dlp_888! I echo your thoughts that the home town buses have been left behind. More attention seems to go on country and contracts, except the 8B which sounds like a variation of the 8 but runs from a different bus station and is totally separate!

Speaking of which I see the next brand is 8 as ‘Whitehouse’s Own’ which is probably the oddest. In my opinion like a Lidl/Aldi poor relation of Trent Barton. All a bit Del Boy haha.

Your changes make sense. It would save bus hopping through tower ramparts, especially as the driver gets off for a break at the bus station for what seems like an age! Maybe running cross-town services (like Ipswich Reds 66 and Park & Ride) would be better with recovery time at the terminus rather than the bus station which seems more for the convenience of the driver than passengers. Other bigger towns than Ipswich must have congestion too and manage it.

In particular like the 9/10 and 15 ideas. Some of those have been the same the whole 20 plus years I’ve lived in the town.

I also see they are planning to use a coach on this years day trips programme. Is this wheelchair accessible?

Does anyone here know if they’ll order some of those wright single decks they had on trial recently too?
The coach was purchased for a private contract so it doesn't need to be PSVAR and the market is being tested to see if there is any interest in day excursions with it, and if demand is sufficient there could be a case to invest in a couple of PSVAR coaches.

The new route branding is aimed at giving local people ownership of their routes, Whitehouse was a hard one to think of a name and didn't include Whitehouse and had just a meaningless word or phrase.

There is no order for the WrightBus, IBL have helped Wright with the development and testing of the vehicle before it went to Millbrook.

ITFC21

Some really good points there, the 9 & 10 might be difficult as its a very political area but the others especially the 1/3/15/15A are really good, especially with the uncertainty for the John Lewis store.

The coach was purchased for a private contract so it doesn't need to be PSVAR and the market is being tested to see if there is any interest in day excursions with it, and if demand is sufficient there could be a case to invest in a couple of PSVAR coaches.

The new route branding is aimed at giving local people ownership of their routes, Whitehouse was a hard one to think of a name and didn't include Whitehouse and had just a meaningless word or phrase.

There is no order for the WrightBus, IBL have helped Wright with the development and testing of the vehicle before it went to Millbrook.
That is very helpful, thank you.

Could the 14 also not be re-routed (like the 15A) along Handford Road, Hadleigh Road, Dickens Road, London Road, Robin Drive, Kingfisher Avenue then do the Gippeswyk Park loop? Would connect Chantry better to Sainsbury’s and Next. You’d miss out Stone Lodge Lane West but it’s only a short walk for a 12 or 13.

It’s interesting that you say about the 9 & 10 being a very political area. Should that really get in the way of operating a more useful bus service? Maybe that’s why many routes have hardly changed over the years due to political reasons? It’s a shame Ipswich Buses can’t just be left to run the buses as they see fit without interference. Is that a constraint of being owned by the borough council?

F Great Eastern

Established Member
It seems that in the last few months Beestons have sold much of their modern coach fleet and their 2017/2018 Enviro 400 MMC double deckers.

The 2019 Enviro 400 MMC has now also been sold like the 2017/2018 earlier this year as has the 2016 Jonckheere JHV coach. Only modern bus vehicle they have now is a single Enviro 400 MMC from 2020 which may also be off soon I guess?

That means that their bus fleet now consists of about 15 Scania deckers dating from 2004-2006 and a bunch of Ominicities and Omnitowns from 2004.

Any more news about the takeover by Ipswich Buses? It is very odd to see a company shifting all their newest vehicles like Beestons continue to do. Are they doing so as they think there is more money in selling the assets off this way because Ipswich Buses are not interested in such vehicles as part of the deal?

Robertj21a

On Moderation
The 2019 Enviro 400 MMC has now also been sold like the 2017/2018 earlier this year as has the 2016 Jonckheere JHV coach. Only modern bus vehicle they have now is a single Enviro 400 MMC from 2020 which may also be off soon I guess?

That means that their bus fleet now consists of about 15 Scania deckers dating from 2004-2006 and a bunch of Ominicities and Omnitowns from 2004.

Any more news about the takeover by Ipswich Buses? It is very odd to see a company shifting all their newest vehicles like Beestons continue to do. Are they doing so as they think there is more money in selling the assets off this way because Ipswich Buses are not interested in such vehicles as part of the deal?
Perhaps they're just short of funds and need some ready cash?

Kartenga

On Moderation
Beestons have ordered another Enviro 400 MMC as they have put up their former London (56 Plate) FHJ 565 up for sale for £30k.
Scania N94UD OmniCity
This was a test bus for a new look but now surplus to requirements.

Last edited by a moderator:

F Great Eastern

Established Member
I was always surprised Beestons went down the route of Omnicity Double Deckers with that vehicle, considering the number of Omnidekkas they had. Makes sense to get rid of it, especially with the strange seating layout inside with all of those seats against the sides downstairs.

However, this is interesting as it appears to have had a significant refurbishment

This is a test vehicle for a new look as well?

Kartenga

On Moderation
I was always surprised Beestons went down the route of Omnicity Double Deckers with that vehicle, considering the number of Omnidekkas they had. Makes sense to get rid of it, especially with the strange seating layout inside with all of those seats against the sides downstairs.

However, this is interesting as it appears to have had a significant refurbishment

This is a test vehicle for a new look as well?
The other was. The one your stating was new paint job. They have two new 21 plat coaches but now showing cherished number plates. That’s probably why the Enviro400’s were sold.

cnjb8

Established Member
Sanders Coaches have taken four 10.8m Volvo B8RLE/MCV Evora vehicles for the coasthopper service. They are BV21OOA/B/C/D.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
The other was. The one your stating was new paint job. They have two new 21 plat coaches but now showing cherished number plates. That’s probably why the Enviro400’s were sold.

Was more than a new paint job, they fitted white LEDs to it and also it has dark tinted windows that it never had before. No idea if they did anything inside.

cnjb8

Established Member
Also, First Norwich have acquired a decker numbered 34432. Anyone know its identity?

Kartenga

On Moderation
Beestons have 7 single deck Scanias arriving this week for contracted routes - all PSVAR compliant.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Christ, that's a lot. Have they won a few more routes for schools etc? I assume they are something N94 based, knowing how much Beestons love that chassis!

Also to note is YX19OUW, the third Enviro 400 MMC, has now left for pastures new with a 2021 model due shortly. I believe that 2006 Scania Omnicity Double Deck FHJ 565 is also for sale.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
From what I gather
YN56 NVC -is a CN94UB ex Ipswich Buses
YN56 FAA/F are CN94UB, ex Reading Buses (although they appear to have the CN230UB style front?)
YN56 FBX/Y/Z are N94UD, ex London United?

That would very much tally with what I would expect Beestons to go for chassis wise. They're well known to vastly prefer the N94 based chassis to the later Scania ones.

Do we know if anything is set to leave the fleet with the number of vehicles that are coming in?

Last edited:

cnjb8

Established Member
From what I gather
YN56 NVC -is a CN94UB ex Ipswich Buses
YN56 FAA/F are CN94UB, ex Reading Buses (although they appear to have the CN230UB style front?)
YN56 FBX/Y/Z are N94UD, ex London United?

That would very much tally with what I would expect Beestons to go for chassis wise. They're well known to vastly prefer the N94 based chassis to the later Scania ones.

Do we know if anything is set to leave the fleet with the number of vehicles that are coming in?
Yes that looks correct. The OmniCity deckers were purchased from Ensign so I imagine the others were too