• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Coast issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalderRail

East Coast Trains
@eastcoastuk
Owing to overhead wire problems between Newark North Gate and Retford all lines are affected.

12:15pm · 29 Aug 13

With this and the derailment East of Nottingham it appear it's going to be tricky to reach Newark...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

philjo

Established Member
I'm on the southbound Chieftain approaching Newcastle at the moment. Supposed to be changing at York onto the stopper to Stevenage. It looks like the northbound working for the stopper set is delayed at Newark and I think it is a 225 so will ask if I can stay on chieftain to Kx as we are a diesel set so more likely to run/divert.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I'm on the southbound Chieftain approaching Newcastle at the moment. Supposed to be changing at York onto the stopper to Stevenage. It looks like the northbound working for the stopper set is delayed at Newark and I think it is a 225 so will ask if I can stay on chieftain to Kx as we are a diesel set so more likely to run/divert.

Make sure you ask first!

tsr

Established Member
It is said that a dewirement occurred in the Retford area some time after 1150.

JourneyCheck reports that there are also signalling problems at Retford, but I haven't seen much about the added impact these are causing.

wensley

Established Member
It is said that a dewirement occurred in the Retford area some time after 1150.

JourneyCheck reports that there are also signalling problems at Retford, but I haven't seen much about the added impact these are causing.

There appear to be some TCFs in the area as well, although the wires are the main problem as from the latest update I got the line is still stopped!

philjo

Established Member
We were told by one of the staff on the Chieftain that 2 miles of wiring is damaged.

Train was Held at Newcastle for 50 minutes. Now at York 60 min late. ,now calling additionally at Doncaster & Peterborough and will be diverted via Gainsborough.

GB

Established Member
The dewirement and signalling issues are part of the same thing. The OLE shorted out some track circuits when it hit the ground and has also done damage to some TPWS equipment.

ushawk

Established Member
The dewirement and signalling issues are part of the same thing. The OLE shorted out some track circuits when it hit the ground and has also done damage to some TPWS equipment.

Sounds like its going to be a long job - looks like the line wont be open for the rest of the day.

GB

Established Member
Sounds like its going to be a long job - looks like the line wont be open for the rest of the day.

Up line in a pretty bad state apparently. Down line needs some work but the plan is for the down road to be open for all traffic at around 1800 today. Trains will then be signalled in either direction on that line...so delays will continue but at least services will be moving.

tsr

Established Member
To summarise, for crispy1978: Major delays due to 600m of overhead cable coming down between Newark NG & Retford, which also caused signal failures by shorting track circuits and damaging TPWS. Trains are diverted via Lincoln, where possible.

EDIT: The above summary was posted on an alternative thread, started by crispy1978.

Last edited:

philjo

Established Member
The southbound Chieftain was diverted via Gainsborough & pyewype junction to Newark. Unfortunately we were stuck in. A queue of trains so it took an hour from Lincoln area to Newark.
I got off at Peterborough at 18:15 train about 200 min late.
Now on an empty 225 to Stevenage (that had started at Newark)

westv

Established Member
Am I glad I only do the Hull to London journey twice a week. Looking this evening it seemed like every train from Kings X after 17:00 that I could have used to get back had been cancelled.Hope it's all sorted by tomorrow evening.

jon0844

Veteran Member
NRE saying that 600m of wires have become dislodged. Oops.

This is all because just a day or two ago I posted on here that the ECML hasn't had overhead wire problems for some time. I knew I was tempting fate.

Sorry everyone.

calc7

Established Member
well just sit back and think of the delay repay claim ;)

Works a treat for big fares, but if you're on a £20 "bargain basement" fare then it's difficult to justify 3-4 hours of one's time for a £20 saving!

westv

Established Member
Or even a rewards points free ticket where you get nothing!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Works a treat for big fares, but if you're on a £20 "bargain basement" fare then it's difficult to justify 3-4 hours of one's time for a £20 saving!

always take a good book!

There is no point getting wound up about the delay. You can do nothing about it so just try and take it in your stride. Yes it is very frustrating but you are powerless to affect the situation.

tsr

Established Member
The overall travel situation in the East Midlands and surrounding areas has just been massively improved* by the reported failure of a freight train between Stamford & Oakham.

*Sarcasm

This is all because just a day or two ago I posted on here that the ECML hasn't had overhead wire problems for some time. I knew I was tempting fate.

Sorry everyone.

I think it's just attention seeking and has to have its own thread every three days or so... :p

Last edited:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Fortunately I found out about this an hour or so before I left Nottingham for Glasgow via bus to Newark and the EC through train. National Rail gave me an alternative via Manchester, which apart from a rather full 185 from Oxford Road to Chorley has been comfortable and if it stays on time will get me to Glasgow 7min earlier than I would have done. None of the three operators staff has queried my EC Advance ticket.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Passengers from London to Hull would have had to get the 1830 (which departed at 1849) or 1903 trains. So, you'd expect the Hull Trains service, which was starting at Doncaster, to be held, right?

Well, you would if the railway was run for the benefit of passengers. But, as it's actually run for the benefit of pen-pushers, it departed shortly before these trains arrived at Doncaster, in the path of a train that was going to Hull anyway!

It's doubtful many of those passengers would have made the Northern service, but those who were quick changing platforms might have done.

Passengers travelling from Scotland & Newcastle towards Hull were advised by the guard that they would be better off changing at Doncaster, not York. If they had been advised to change at York, they'd have got to Hull 1 hour earlier than the delay they are now facing.

I know the delays are not the fault of the TOCs, but you do have to wonder sometimes at some of the decisions that are made.

Just what is the point in running a Hull Train from Doncaster to Hull, when none of the passengers who departed London at that time, would be able to connect into it? Is that train run for the benefit of customers.... or accountants? I am convinced it's the latter!

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Is that train run for the benefit of customers.... or accountants? I am convinced it's the latter!

At the risk of taking the thread further off topic, I'd agree, except the industry is only following the government's instruction that "trains must run on time". If it wasn't for the incessant focus on punctuality, I am sure that the TOCs would see that holding connections would reduce their costs in delay repay!

philjo

Established Member

I was on a rewards points free ticket from Inverness to Stevenage (changed at Peteroborough in the end) - glad it was in 1st class as not sure I would have liked doing 10.5 hours in standard class! (11.5 hours for those going to Kings cross) I think it was the longest normal service train I have been on in one go (i.e. excluding sleepers & charters)

I was waiting at Stevenage just after 19:00 this evening and a HST called going towards Edinburgh. The platfrom staff were having problems closing some of the doors as there were at least 20 people standing in every doorway.

Last edited:

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
The 21:00 southbound out of Edinburgh arrived into Edin on time from Aberdeen, being formed from one of the last East Coast services out of Kings Cross before the wires came down. It arrived ok. but isn't going anywhere soon because it slowly became apparent that there was no Guard to take the train onwards. Control has been alerted and arranged for a guard to come in to Edin around 21:45.
Shame schedules are so tight that there's no crew 'spare' for operating their services. Or even noticing!

dk1

Veteran Member
I was on a rewards points free ticket from Inverness to Stevenage (changed at Peteroborough in the end) - glad it was in 1st class as not sure I would have liked doing 10.5 hours in standard class! (11.5 hours for those going to Kings cross) I think it was the longest normal service train I have been on in one go (i.e. excluding sleepers & charters)

I was waiting at Stevenage just after 19:00 this evening and a HST called going towards Edinburgh. The platfrom staff were having problems closing some of the doors as there were at least 20 people standing in every doorway.

Business booming on the railways :D

philjo

Established Member
The 21:00 southbound out of Edinburgh arrived into Edin on time from Aberdeen, being formed from one of the last East Coast services out of Kings Cross before the wires came down. It arrived ok. but isn't going anywhere soon because it slowly became apparent that there was no Guard to take the train onwards. Control has been alerted and arranged for a guard to come in to Edin around 21:45.
Shame schedules are so tight that there's no crew 'spare' for operating their services. Or even noticing!

the southbound chieftain I was on I think had a couple of crew that it was taking back from Doncaster to Kings Cross as they were short of crew at the London end - one gott off at Peteroborough where an HST to Edinburgh was going a crew change in platfrom 2. One of those guards was helping with service on the train as only the chef left was on board to serve everyone - the Edinburgh based crew had all got off at York.

Status
Not open for further replies.