• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East coast main line. Weds 25 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nlt

Has anybody got the inside story on today's issues near Peterborough and Wakefield, and when the service is likely to get back to something like normal?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

skyhigh

Established Member
Cable theft near Peterborough, cable has now been replaced and testing ongoing. There was also a broken down train at Wakefield, which has since moved.

Established Member
Has anybody got the inside story on today's issues near Peterborough and Wakefield, and when the service is likely to get back to something like normal?
Broken down Voyager at Wakefield. Line is open now.

Established Member
Cable theft near Peterborough, cable has now been replaced and testing ongoing. There was also a broken down train at Wakefield, which has
Cable fitted and testing has failed. Following testing and an attempt to power up the signalling, there has been no success. Network Rail are now working on a revised rectification plan.

Wakefield was Cross country 1S31 which had to carry out rotational tests, ultimately terminated at Leeds.

nlt

Now on the 1230 to edinburgh rather than 1233 lds. "It's easier getting from Los Angeles," says one irate passenger.

londonmidland

Established Member
I’m surprised National Rail Enquires hasn’t stated this as major disruption and outlined this in red at the top of their page.

Instead it’s just been a steady extension of ‘disruption expected until…’

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Cable theft near Peterborough, cable has now been replaced and testing ongoing. There was also a broken down train at Wakefield, which has since moved.
Yes its convenient to just say a fault with the signalling system which is what LNER and other TOCs are calling it on there websites but why not tell the passengers the reality that some urchins have trespassed on the railway and cut and stolen cables and as a result the signalling system isn't able to function so we have use temporary arrangements which limit the number of trains we can run.

CdBrux

Yes its convenient to just say a fault with the signalling system which is what LNER and other TOCs are calling it on there websites but why not tell the passengers the reality that some urchins have trespassed on the railway and cut and stolen cables and as a result the signalling system isn't able to function so we have use temporary arrangements which limit the number of trains we can run.

As a customer I would have a much more sympathetic reaction to such an explanation

nlt

Stopped at Huntingdon plaforrm for 3 mins. How does this work? Do we pick up a pilot or get permission from signaller to proceed?

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Stopped at Huntingdon plaforrm for 3 mins. How does this work? Do we pick up a pilot or get permission from signaller to proceed?
Looks like there block working Huntingdon to Peterborough as both lines in use so need for a pilot but im not there.

Edit looks like NWR as a flight of trains are heading south from Huntingdon rather than one every 20mins.

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
Sitting at Eastfield and watching a procession of stuff going past as we prepare wagons to leave. Lots of stuff terminating at PBO and then empty back north to try and have stock at Leeds etc for southbound stuff at lunchtime. Some stuff sitting at signals for 20+ mins!

DanNCL

Established Member
If anyone wants something incredibly rare, as a result of the disruption 1A31 13:15 Leeds - Kings Cross, with 91111, will stop to pick up and drop off passengers at Huntingdon.

Joe Paxton

Established Member

As a customer I would have a much more sympathetic reaction to such an explanation

Agreed. Tell it like it is.

nlt

Now stopped near Claypole. "We are waiting for a platform to become available." Not enough platforms at Newark?

RolandR

I was on the LNER 8:15 from Leeds this morning and we had to firstly pick up additional passengers from a terminated GC train at Doncaster.
We were then stopped just before Peterborough, on P3 at PBO without opening the doors, stopped again after PBO and then a pick up only stop at Huntingdon.
We finally arrived over an hour late at KGX.
LNER are currently saying that things will be back to normal at 17:00. I'm returning to Leeds this evening and I'm keeping an eye on things in case it is extended and I have to take the alternative route from Euston to Manchester Picc.

Established Member
Calling point to collect/drop GTR customers

Because cable theft wasn't actually identified until midday, keep the message the same?

I was on the LNER 8:15 from Leeds this morning and we had to firstly pick up additional passengers from a terminated GC train at Doncaster.
We were then stopped just before Peterborough, on P3 at PBO without opening the doors, stopped again after PBO and then a pick up only stop at Huntingdon.
We finally arrived over an hour late at KGX.
LNER are currently saying that things will be back to normal at 17:00. I'm returning to Leeds this evening and I'm keeping an eye on things in case it is extended and I have to take the alternative route from Euston to Manchester Picc.
All departing Kings Cross roughly on times as booked.

Last edited:

choochoochoo

Established Member
For a while today only LNER were running between Peterborough and Huntingdon and not GN

Was this because of some sort of capacity limitation on the line during the repairs?

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
For a while today only LNER were running between Peterborough and Huntingdon and not GN

Was this because of some sort of capacity limitation on the line during the repairs?
I can only go on what i could see on SignalMaps but trains standing North of Huntingdon for periods of time and only proceeding when previous train was at Peterborough suggests to me they had to block work the whole section so capacity considerable reduced so they needed to reduce service levels hence GTR were bouncing back at Huntingdon.

Established Member

Yes, the contingency plan that Network Rail implemented, was to allow 3 trains per hour in each direction to be operayes by Lner.

Huntingdon calls for lner were to convey GTR customers between Huntingdon and Peterborough.

choochoochoo

Established Member
Yes, the contingency plan that Network Rail implemented, was to allow 3 trains per hour in each direction to be operayes by Lner.

Huntingdon calls for lner were to convey GTR customers between Huntingdon and Peterborough.
Thanks, what type of working was it ? Temporary Block, Emergency Special or Single Line (there was talk earlier about pilotmen) ?

GordonT

ECML has had better days. 60004 on 6D43 the 1610 ex Jarrow Shell to Immingham Refinery failed just south of Durham around 1730 and still there awaiting rescue at 2000. Single line working introduced with significant disruption including additional delays to southbound cross-border services at Newcastle awaiting crews from northbound services delayed by the failure. Edit: 6D43 on the move just after I'd posted this around 2005!

Last edited:

Joe96

Thanks, what type of working was it ? Temporary Block, Emergency Special or Single Line (there was talk earlier about pilotmen) ?
Emergency special working was just originally on the down then implemented to the up around 7.
Calling point to collect/drop GTR customers

Because cable theft wasn't actually identified until midday, keep the message the same?

All departing Kings Cross roughly on times as booked.
It was identified way before that around before 8am.
1B90 & 1A49 currently stuck in or near Stoke Tunnel, all lines blocked. Any info?
1S31 ADD.

Established Member
Emergency special working was just originally on the down then implemented to the up around 7.

It was identified way before that around before 8am.

1S31 ADD.
It wasn't confirmed as cable theft until mid morning, 10am before lner were confirming it as cable theft, so maybe within lner it was identified before 7, that certainly wasn't communicated to lner service delivery team.

YorksLad12

Established Member
Not sure where you’re getting your info from but from a internal prospective it was confirmed by teams onsite at 0720.
Quite. The first clue would have been the lack of cable...!

However: with my PR hat on I suspect that there would have been a delay/lag in confirming this to the public, etc. while a comment was put together and a relevant spokesperson briefed. Otherwise you just get passengers asking on Twitter or reporters phoning press officers when they don't have the information themselves - which can look worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.