• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Croydon footbridge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodAtum

On Moderation
Anyone know when this will be fully open, as it's been in it's current unfinished state for years now!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GodAtum

On Moderation
Such a shambles. It would be great if they opened up the other half side of the bridge to put more shelter and retail units.

SECR263

Westfield/Landsdowne Road will not happen as the bottom has fallen out of retail commercial shop building/developments. The bridge will go downs as "Croydon's Folly" The residents of Croydon have already had the opening of the Fairfield's halls delayed twice with no hope of seeing it open until the "Spring" 2024? Any bets?

Metal_gee_man

Well the non fare payers love the bridge, the accessible gate has been broken for nearly 6 months with a big sign over the contactless/oyster pad, and rarely seen gateline staff! If the otherside will act as a public right of way and stairs/lifts added to the other end of the bridge with many more gates added it will be a bonus because currently that bridge is a free for all with barely any crowd control

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Seeing as the station is going to undergo a major reconstruction (8 platforms from 6) from 2024 as part of the CARS program I doubt much will be done at all. It will likely have to be torn down and rebuilt then.

The design would appear to allow for that. Notice how the bridge span goes well beyond the westernmost tracks giving room for widening. Also the very heavy structure suggests that it spans clear across the whole width with no intermediate supporting piers on the platforms - just stairs and lifts. Therefore it should be possible to keep the basic bridge as it is and move the stairs and lifts to wherever the platforms end up.

Metal_gee_man

Bang on, the bridge span is large enough to cover another 2 tracks and platforms and my yellow line shows where another track can go unhindered by the bridge, the bigger problem is the main station box to be honest

Screenshot_20190328_080328.jpg

mavsk

Correct - there's passive provision in the design for a new lift shaft for the new platform and to move the lift shaft and stairs to platform 1/2.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I don't think there's quite enough room for a whole new island and two more tracks west of the Platform 1 track, so I think the plan would be to move the Platform 2 track into the space between 2 and 3, and rebuild the P1/2 island a bit further east.

hwl

Established Member
I don't think there's quite enough room for a whole new island and two more tracks west of the Platform 1 track, so I think the plan would be to move the Platform 2 track into the space between 2 and 3, and rebuild the P1/2 island a bit further east.
Indeed which is why mavsk posted
Correct - there's passive provision in the design for a new lift shaft for the new platform and to move the lift shaft and stairs to platform 1/2.

Probably going to get demolished for CARS now any way and the developer is try to slime out so it may remain the "Bridge to no where"

Status
Not open for further replies.