• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Croydon mail platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichJF

Hello all.

Having gone through East Croydon the other day & being a regular user of it both since the footbridge & back in the 2000s for school with the old underpass, my interest has been peaked by seeing a picture of a train in a possible parcels platform there.

Does anybody have memories or images (they're happy to share) of the station when this was operational?

TIA

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
There certainly was a GPO parcels platform beyond #6 and I remember seeing vans in it (probably in the 70s), no other details though.

Rescars

I recall seeing parcel vans on this platform in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Also I think a class 33 or a class 73 very occasionally. Sadly no photos.

big all

On Moderation
When i became a second man at Redhill around 72 we had at least one evening up vans to Wilsden junction where we would stop at Croydon on the up around 2100 .
now over the years i can remember both having the Croydon pilot attach to the rear and we would just pick up the van/vans on return to Redhill perhaps at 3am .
Later on as years progressed when there was no longer a pilot we would detach the loco run round and pick up the vans or just wait in platform 4 whilst vans were loaded as normal .
there also used to be an mlv with several vans from London bridge that picked up at Croydon and would terminate at Redhill yard pick up vans and return north '

Status
Not open for further replies.