• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Kilbride/Barrhead electrification updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OB23Gone

Must apologize if I spoiled anyone's shots today for the First test run through Pollokshaws West this morning . I was the culprit at the Glasgow end of platform 1 with the High Viz. Didn't look as though there was anyone there for the occasion. Must echo praise of FJ's photo. Some from today

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 124
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 122
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 118
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    993.5 KB · Views: 121
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 121
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 127

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Must apologize if I spoiled anyone's shots today for the First test run through Pollokshaws West this morning . I was the culprit at the Glasgow end of platform 1 with the High Viz. Didn't look as though there was anyone there for the occasion. Must echo praise of FJ's photo. Some from today
As I mentioned above my mate and I were present at Pollokshaws West for both of 380114's runs earlier today; I think we saw @Frankton Junct but I'm afraid I didn't notice yourself unless your high vis caused you to blend into the Network Rail crowd doing some pruning over on 1.

My own efforts from today:

(At least those I was happy enough with to post on my Flickr account.)

snowball

Established Member
Press release

Scotland’s Transport Minister, Fiona Hyslop, has today travelled on the first electric passenger service from Glasgow Central to Barrhead.

The minister joined railway colleagues to travel on a ScotRail Class 380 in a final test of the new infrastructure ahead of the start of public passenger services from Monday, December 11.

The Glasgow-Barrhead Electrification Project is a £63m investment by the Scottish Government and is the latest phase of the rolling programme to decarbonise Scotland’s Railway passenger services.

Ms Hyslop said: “It’s fantastic to join industry partners today as we celebrate the first electric passenger train between Glasgow and Barrhead.

“This latest milestone in our rolling programme of electrification demonstrates this Scottish Government’s commitment to greener public transport as we work towards our low carbon economy and Net Zero goals.

“I’d also like to thank everyone involved in delivering this project and the investment it represents.”

Alex Hynes, managing director of Scotland’s Railway, said: “It’s a privilege to be able to welcome the Minister to travel on the first electric passenger train from Glasgow to Barrhead. We are incredibly proud to be delivering this project on behalf of the Scottish Government.

“Electric trains are faster and greener, offering a better travelling experience and they’re more reliable too. They encourage people to switch from road to rail and help us build on the railway’s reputation as one of the greenest forms of public transport.

“We look forward to welcoming the communities along the Barrhead line onto our electric network and will continue to further expand our decarbonisation of Scotland’s Railway in the years ahead.”

Over the last two years, Network Rail engineers have electrified over six miles of the railway and renewed 130 metres of track.

Major modifications have been carried out to bridges along the route, including the replacement of Nithsdale Road bridge at Strathbungo and the removal of the old lattice footbridge at Nitshill station.

Bridge sidewalls were raised in height at Kennishead and Priesthill and Darnley stations to make them compliant for an electrified railway.

----------------------------------------------

Curses! This will be automerged.

But rejoice, some info at last about bridgeworks on the EK line! Press release with video.

Work begins this month to three railway bridges in Hairmyres as part of the East Kilbride enhancement project.

This activity marks the start of the wider engineering works on the £139.8m electrification project as part of a Scottish Government investment to decarbonise passenger services.

Two bridges must be raised and re-decked to create the room required to run overhead powerlines beneath the structures.

Engineers will replace a bridge at Thornton Road from 11 December until 9 April 2024, with the structure closing to traffic and a diversionary route in place during this time.

Work to a footbridge close to Hairmyres station and neighbouring Eaglesham Court takes place from 11 December, with a footpath diversion in place until 21 February.

A third bridge near Thornton Farm which has been out of use for a number of years will be demolished.

Key elements of the works will take place over the Christmas and New Year holiday period during 29-hour periods of continuous working:

Removal and replacement of bridge at Thornton Road from 22:00hrs on 24 December until 07:00hrs on 26 December.
Removal and replacement of footbridge at Eaglesham Court from 22:00hrs on 24 December until 07:00hrs on 26 December.
Demolition of bridge near Thornton Farm from 22:00hrs on 31 December until 07:00hrs on 02 January.

*Works up to the morning of 26 December will completed ahead of Boxing Day train services. Please to check www.scotrail.co.uk for service information.

Gerry McQuade, Network Rail capital delivery director, said “The bridge works are the starting point for our two-year programme to deliver the East Kilbride enhancement project.

“After several months of planning, along with our contractor Story, the team’s excited to be on the ground as the bridge works get underway.

“The three bridges are the first of several structures we’ll be replacing or modifying along the line of route. This will allow the installation of the new overhead equipment that will power a greener and more reliable railway for our passengers and lineside neighbours.

“Given the scale of the engineering being delivered over the Christmas and New Year period, and the road closure and footpath diversion in place, we fully appreciate the patience and support of the community during this time.”

The East Kilbride enhancement project follows on from the recent electrification of the Glasgow - Barrhead line, with electric Class 380 trains being introduced on to this route from 11 December.

If you have any questions about the works, you can contact Network Rail’s 24-hour national helpline on 03457 11 41 41. For the latest information and progress updates follow on Twitter @NetworkRailScot or visit www.scotlandsrailway.com

Last edited:

Southsider

Press release

----------------------------------------------

Curses! This will be automerged.

But rejoice, some info at last about bridgeworks on the EK line! Press release with video.

It will be interesting to see what they do with these bridges as they are the same design as several others on the route including the two at Clarkston.

H&I

I was on the first electric train in public service from Glasgow Central to Barrhead and back! The destination was not set on the train and there were no announcements whatsoever.

Attachments

• IMG_7064.jpeg
    IMG_7064.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 120
  • IMG_7075.jpeg
    IMG_7075.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 120
  • IMG_7068.jpeg
    IMG_7068.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 118

Falcon1200

Established Member
[QUOTE="snowball, post: 6530340, m...senger-train-on-glasgow-barrhead-line[/QUOTE]

I wonder whether anyone thought to ask the Scotrail bigwigs 'why, having spent all this money, will only one electric train per hour actually run to Barrhead?'

The first advertised service, 2A36, 0652 Glasgow Central to Barrhead, ran this morning.

380107. However, it looks like that to provide a 4-car set for Barrhead, one of the three off-peak Neilston diagrams, formerly all 4-car Class 380, has been reduced to a 3-car, 380001 working the route today. Thanks Scotrail!

I wonder whether anyone thought to ask the Scotrail bigwigs 'why, having spent all this money, will only one electric train per hour actually run to Barrhead?'

There were two Barrhead stoppers per hour in the pre-Covid timetable. The post-Covid timetable has one limited stop and one all stations Kilmarnock per hour, which makes one of the Kilmarnock services uncompetitive with the bus.

380107. However, it looks like that to provide a 4-car set for Barrhead, one of the three off-peak Neilston diagrams, formerly all 4-car Class 380, has been reduced to a 3-car, 380001 working the route today. Thanks Scotrail!

The new timetable hasn't restored the two trains per hour evening frequency to East Kilbride, still only one train per hour, which really isn't frequent enough. Neighbours of mine used to use the train for day trips to Edinburgh. Now they drive because they don't want to wait 30+ minutes in Glasgow Central for their return train. The last time they used the train, they waited 20 mins in Glasgow for a bus (cancelled), another 20 minutes for a bus (boarding denied due to over crowding) and then another 20 mins for a bus they could board. Hanging around in the city centre at night is not the best experience.

I was on the first electric train in public service from Glasgow Central to Barrhead and back! The destination was not set on the train and there were no announcements whatsoever.

I think they still have to do individual uploads on the 380s for new routes, so possible that the unit used this morning hadn't been done yet.

Conductors would normally do additional manual pa announcements on the Barrheads, but on 380s the manual pa announcement comes through on the speaker in the drivers cab if using a handset anywhere else on the train, and most drivers find it distracting - especially when the conductor drones on repeating what the auto announcements have just said!

Southsider

All that time and money for an underwhelming service - East Kilbride should have been done first (to suit me !!)

Trainbike46

Established Member

I wonder whether anyone thought to ask the Scotrail bigwigs 'why, having spent all this money, will only one electric train per hour actually run to Barrhead?']
I've seen this asked on social media several times. While I clearly don't speak for ScotGov, I do think it is fair to point out this is only the initial electric service, and more will come:
- A lot of the Barrhead track will be used for the East Kilbride services when that electrification project also finishes
- Hopefully they will return to pre-covid frequencies (2 tph to Barrhead, both electric) in the future
- When things progress with the Scotrail new trains order, the new trains will use the electrification on services that extend beyond Barrhead

The key point is that the infrastructure wasn't build just for the service today, but to last many years, hopefully with an improved service

Falcon1200

Established Member
A lot of the Barrhead track will be used for the East Kilbride services when that electrification project also finishes

True of course.
Hopefully they will return to pre-covid frequencies (2 tph to Barrhead, both electric) in the future

I hope so too, although IMHO the start of electric services would have been the ideal time to also re-introduce the pre-covid TT (even if it meant pinching another 4-car 380 from the Neilston line....)

hux385

Could someone tell me what the pre-covid timetable was? Was it 2tph Barrhead terminators plus 1tph Kilmarnock?

Kite159

Veteran Member
Two of each with both Kilmarnocks semi-fast.
From memory 1tph was fast to Dunlop with the other fast to Barrhead.
-----
Hopefully at some point Barrhead will go back to the pre covid timetable to allow the Kilmarnock train which currently calls at all stations to Barrhead to go back to being non-stop to Barrhead to improve end to end speed.

I think they still have to do individual uploads on the 380s for new routes, so possible that the unit used this morning hadn't been done yet.

Conductors would normally do additional manual pa announcements on the Barrheads, but on 380s the manual pa announcement comes through on the speaker in the drivers cab if using a handset anywhere else on the train, and most drivers find it distracting - especially when the conductor drones on repeating what the auto announcements have just said!

That sounds like a design fault with PA announcements playing in the cab.

snookertam

No that’s not the case. The Barrhead unit has been accounted for since May.

route101

Established Member
Hopefully see the East Kilbride every 30 minute frequency restored. Services can be very busy, is it down to lack of staff ?

route101

Established Member
Yes.

XX:13 fast to Dunlop
XX:43 fast to Barrhead

Presumably you mean in the evening?

It is every 30 mins through the day until evening (1920), then hourly 1947 until 2247 finishing with a 2317.
Yes evening frequency. Must be really busy on Friday and Saturday nights.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Yes evening frequency. Must be really busy on Friday and Saturday nights.
Possibly, but I live close to the line and I frequently see evening trains (post-1800) running as four or six quite empty coaches. The busy period seems to be more 1400-1800 away from Glasgow.

It would probably be much busier late if an event was on, a concert or something for example.

Possibly, but I live close to the line and I frequently see evening trains (post-1800) running as four or six quite empty coaches. The busy period seems to be more 1400-1800 away from Glasgow.

It would probably be much busier late if an event was on, a concert or something for example.
The evening service has been hourly long enough now for former passengers to make different arrangements and establish new habits. It will be hard to change these new habits, especially if the service remains hourly.

We should congratulate Network Rail and their contractors for the successful delivery of the Barrhead electrification project. It seems that the Scottish Government has confidence to continue the programme of electrification, given their decision to fund the East Kilbride electrification project.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The evening service has been hourly long enough now for former passengers to make different arrangements and establish new habits. It will be hard to change these new habits, especially if the service remains hourly.
I suppose that is the crux of it - reduce the service, that puts off passengers and in turn that reduces the perceived need to increase it again. A self-perpetuting cycle.

That sounds like a design fault with PA announcements playing in the cab.

This only happens when a handset anywhere else in the unit is used to make manual announcements. Given that the vast majority of the services 380s work are DOO, it is a minor issue, but annoying all the same if the conductor rambles on for ages!

The auto announcements don't come through the speaker in the active cab thankfully.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just a gentle reminder that this thread is an Infrastructure section thread to discuss East Kilbride/Barrhead electrification updates.

If anyone wants to discuss anything else then they are welcome to start a new thread elsewhere.

For ideas about how the relevant EMU fleet should be diagrammed now that Barrhead is electrified then please see this thread: