• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Kilbride/Barrhead electrification updates

No rumours of going live yet?

Have heard end of September, beginning of October for testing to start taking place.

There's still some platform work being undertaken at Pollokshaws West and some wires still to be strung at Busby Junction for the down line crossover from the EK branch onto the down Barrhead.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Is it just a trick of the camera or is the slope at Nitshill pretty steep?

It seems to me that the existing ramp from the road up to platform 1, perpendicular to the platform, is steeper than the new ramp up to platform 2, although a lot wider.

The new ramp has level stages at intervals up to the platform - if you look at the handrail you can see where it is level. It was easy enough for me to walk up the ramp, but I am not in a chair. I assume that the slope is within current standards.

No rumours of going live yet?

There is work underway to build new a new high voltage cable route from the upgraded Eglinton Street sub station to the Muirhouse junctions - new trunking is clearly labelled with warnings about high voltage. Perhaps this must be commissioned before testing to Barrhead can begin?

snowball

Established Member
Press release

Network Rail will open a new railway footbridge at Strathbungo in Glasgow’s southside tomorrow (Friday, 18 August).

The new structure, part of the Glasgow - Barrhead Electrification project, now provides the required clearance for an electrified railway.

It’s all part of the Scottish Government’s investment to decarbonise passenger services across Scotland’s Railway.

Network Rail, along with contractor Bam Nuttall Ltd, started work in March 2023 to replace the former 146-year old structure that connects Darnley Road and Moray Place.

Around 5,000 local residents and businesses were invited to vote for their preferred bridge design from three different options in the summer of 2021.

Through feedback from those who responded, the majority chose a bespoke curved design inspired by the former footbridge, with this receiving 85% of the votes cast.

One of the challenges was in delivering a design that kept with the conservation status of the area and that met with the required safety clearance for electrification within the restricted footprint of the previous structure.

This limited the opportunity to enhance the access to and from the bridge, although the new bridge is wider than its predecessor.

Less that 100-metres from the footbridge, the new road bridge at Nithsdale Road was completed earlier in January as part of the project, providing an accessible route between Darnley Road, Moray Place and the wider area.

Michelle McCaig, Network Rail’s project manager for the footbridge work, said: “The new footbridge was necessary in allowing us to electrify the line in this location.

“We understood at an early stage the significance the former footbridge held for the community and I want to thank residents and local businesses for their positive engagement in determining its design.

“I’m confident it will enjoy the same legacy at its predecessor and I’m very grateful to the community for the patience shown not just during the delivery of this work but the wider project.

“The footbridge represents the completion of the last piece of structural engineering on the Glasgow – Barrhead project, as we move even closer to introducing greener and cleaner electric trains on to the route.”

The new steel truss of the footbridge features a toughened glass parapet to achieve a solid but open look. It also incorporates elements sympathetic to the former bridge, including its black and white colouring and balustrades that match the existing railings at Moray Place.

The former footbridge was rehomed earlier this year with Caledonian Railway, a volunteer-run charity that maintains and operates a heritage railway in Angus and it will be installed as part of a restoration project at Brechin station.

Over the next few months, engineers will carry out snagging and finishing works to the overhead line equipment as part of the Glasgow - Barrhead project. This will be followed by signalling commissioning and running test trains on the route in the autumn, ahead of the introduction of electric trains from December.

If you have any questions about the works, you can contact Network Rail’s 24-hour national helpline on 03457 11 41 41. For the latest information and progress updates follow on Twitter @NetworkRailScot or visit www.scotlandsrailway.com

OB23Gone

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    568.3 KB · Views: 146
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    856.5 KB · Views: 147
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    691.2 KB · Views: 161
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    827.3 KB · Views: 172
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    937.2 KB · Views: 168
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    911.1 KB · Views: 155
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    941.2 KB · Views: 144
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    850.8 KB · Views: 136
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    970.7 KB · Views: 132
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    926.2 KB · Views: 124
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    706.2 KB · Views: 121
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 120
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    707.2 KB · Views: 117
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    675.5 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:

Southsider

There are suggestions on the Haymarket to Dalmeny thread that work there has ceased to focus on East Kilbride.
I have to say that signs of progress on EK are scarce, for example we’ve had a few letters telling us piling was about to start but the dates have come and gone without my beauty sleep being disturbed. Is anything happening?

snowball

Established Member
There are suggestions on the Haymarket to Dalmeny thread that work there has ceased to focus on East Kilbride.
As an active contributor to that thread in recent weeks, I can say that none of my posts were intended to suggest that, and I haven't noticed any other posts saying that. EK was mentioned only for its place in the overall programme. I can't make any personal observations as I haven't been in Scotland this year.

Though as I said in that thread, I do think there's an attempt to slow down overall cashflow, so I suppose it could be being applied to EK too.

I have to say that signs of progress on EK are scarce, for example we’ve had a few letters telling us piling was about to start but the dates have come and gone without my beauty sleep being disturbed. Is anything happening?
Maybe all the workers had holidays booked for after the Barrhead blockade?

As an active contributor to that thread in recent weeks, I can say that none of my posts were intended to suggest that, and I haven't noticed any other posts saying that. EK was mentioned only for its place in the overall programme. I can't make any personal observations as I haven't been in Scotland this year.

Though as I said in that thread, I do think there's an attempt to slow down overall cashflow, so I suppose it could be being applied to EK too.

Maybe all the workers had holidays booked for after the Barrhead blockade?
It coukd well be thst budget constraints have brought about a slow down on electrification work and priority of schemes.

East Kilbride is certainly the current project, but could still be in the design phase with no site works taking place. Believe a blockade is planned for future work. Which will show cost savings on the project.

The Puddock

The East Kilbride project is still in the design stages at the moment. As above, there is a 16 week blockade planned for spring 2025 with track and station commissioning in summer 2025 and final overhead line energisation and entry into service in autumn 2025. Or at least that's what I've heard anyway.

snowball

Established Member
The East Kilbride project is still in the design stages at the moment. As above, there is a 16 week blockade planned for spring 2025 with track and station commissioning in summer 2025 and final overhead line energisation and entry into service in autumn 2025. Or at least that's what I've heard anyway.
That sounds plausible. I'm trying to remember when was the last time we saw an official statement that it would be finished by December 2024.

Now I look, the Gilruth article (see #939-#940 on page 32 of this thread) does not give a completion date.

Southsider

That sounds plausible. I'm trying to remember when was the last time we saw an official statement that it would be finished by December 2024.

Now I look, the Gilruth article (see #939-#940 on page 32 of this thread) does not give a completion date.
The completion date seems to have been removed from the project summary on the Scotland’s Railway website.
https://scotlandsrailway.com/projects/east-kilbride-enhancements
Regarding piling, this statement remains but has not materialised :
We will be starting the three-month programme of works between Busby and Thornliebank stations on 24 June 2023, with the piling due to complete in August.

snowball

Established Member
Didn't someone mention piling had started further up the thread?
There have been masts at the west end of the branch since May, see for example #1354, but my impression from reading posts by locals is that visible work is patchy rather than continuous, and that not much has happened in recent months. In particular some piling episodes have been notified to locals and then not happened.

nlogax

Established Member
As an aside from EK progress, I noticed these on the platform adjacent OHE at Barrhead. Right of the image, little bracket-y thing (technical term!) where the F+F registration arm connects. Anyone know of their actual purpose?

IMG_0182.jpg

59CosG95

Established Member
As an aside from EK progress, I noticed these on the platform adjacent OHE at Barrhead. Right of the image, little bracket-y thing (technical term!) where the F+F registration arm connects. Anyone know of their actual purpose?

View attachment 141718
Those look like Uplift Stoppers, presumably to try and minimise oscillation of the contact wire over the platforms.

snowball

Established Member
There might be some interest in this video I found on the web. Taken by a passenger, so no direct forward views, it's of a Glasgow to EK journey on 31st May. Busby junction is passed about 12:30; between then and 13:00 the first masts on the branch can be seen. Before Busby J we can see some of the works to the Barrhead line discussed in this thread. At 29:42 we pass what I think is the site of a demolished bridge also discussed upthread.

Last edited:

gingertom

Established Member
There might be some interest in this video I found on the web. Taken by a passenger, so no direct forward views, it's of a Glasgow to EK journey on 31st May. Busby junction is passed about 12:30; between then and 13:00 the first masts on the branch can be seen. Before Busby J we can see some of the works to the Barrhead line discussed in this thread. At 29:42 we pass what I think is the site of a demolished bridge also discussed upthread.

a lot of vegetation needing to be cleared away before piles can be driven and masts go up.

deltic08

On Moderation
Had my last journey to Barrhead today on all station stopper from Central by diesel. OHLE appears complete and only one cherry picker seen in line side compounds. Not one orange suited worker seen. EK branch wired as far as eye could see from train at Busby Jnc.
Gravel and cement bags supporting ramp to bay platform now sprouting healthy crop of grass.
Conductor complained that she is not being trained on electrics and has to stay on Glasgow-Kilmarnock/Carlisle diesel services.
Kilmarnock Bound service had to wait 8 minutes at Barrhead for northbound service to clear single line although it was on time. Single line a continual handicap to timetabling.

clc

Established Member
The Programme for Government is being announced by the FM in Parliament tomorrow. Hopefully we’ll hear something about East Kilbride.

A330Alex

No mention unfortunately.
  • Publish a refreshed Rail Services Decarbonisation Action Plan, as well as electrifying the Glasgow to Barrhead Line, opening East Linton station and re-opening the line to Levenmouth, including new stations at Cameron Bridge and Leven.

snowball

Established Member
I've just been watching the actual speech as delivered. Around 14:38:30 he quickly mentioned, in this order, ferries, Levenmouth, Barrhead, East Linton, the A96 (specifically Inverness to Nairn and Nairn bypass) and A9 (procurement started for Tomatin-Moy). If he mentioned the decarbonisation refresh, it must have been in a different part of the speech.

---------- Curse the dreaded automerge!! ----------------

Transport Scotland press release:

The Scottish Government has today confirmed funding of £140m that will see the delivery of the East Kilbride Enhancement Project.

In addition, the Transport Minister, Fiona Hyslop confirmed that the Barrhead route electrification and associated station improvement works remain on track for completion in December this year.

This latest funding commitment demonstrates continued progress with the Scottish Government’s rolling programme of railway electrification as a key element of transport decarbonisation.

Ms Hyslop said

“I am very pleased to confirm that I have now approved full funding for the completion of the East Kilbride Enhancement Project. This will deliver electrification of the route, a new intermodal transport hub at Hairmyres, a new accessible station at East Kilbride, accessibility works at other stations and a 1.4km extension of the Hairmyres double track section to enhance operational performance and flexibility of service on the route.

“This £140m commitment from the Scottish Government will contribute to our net zero objectives and will enable the introduction of greener, faster and more comfortable electric trains on the route from December 2025.

“In addition, the Glasgow to Barrhead line will see electric services operating on the route from December 2023. I would like to thank passengers for their patience during the recent route closure to allow the rapid and efficient delivery of electrification works by Network Rail and its partners.”

Alex Hynes, Managing Director, Scotland’s Railway said:

“This project will enhance a key transport corridor, providing a more reliable, more inclusive and greener railway for our customers.

“The electrification of the East Kilbride line is the next phase of our rolling programme of decarbonisation, creating more environmentally friendly travel options for communities throughout Scotland.”

No mention of timescales for EK. (Edit: oops, sorry, it says December 2025, as clc points out below.)

If I remember correctly, the £140M price tag is a 40% increase on the last time we heard.

Last edited:

clc

Established Member
The press release states that there will be a new accessible station at East Kilbride but doesn’t say how many platforms it will have. Can we assume it will have a second platform?

takno

Established Member
The press release states that there will be a new accessible station at East Kilbride but doesn’t say how many platforms it will have. Can we assume it will have a second platform?
Everything I've seen linked from this thread suggests that the second platform at EK is still on. It's just the double line to the station which got descoped

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
If I remember correctly, the £140M price tag is a 40% increase on the last time we heard.
This was reported in Scottish Govt Major capital projects progress update

Progress at March 2022: The total project cost is now estimated at £111 million to £124 million which is an increase from that at OBC and as previously reported. This is due to the scope being changed and Network Rail providing an updated estimate which includes the additional scope. The construction start date is now later than previously reported

which is subject to review due to the additional scope. The operational date however the remains as that at OBC as previously reported.

Progress at September 2022: No change to cost or timing since the last report.

Progress at March 2023: No change to timing since the last report.

The total cost of the project is now estimated at £136.8 million which is an increase in that previously reported. This is due to further refinement of the Full Business Case (FBC) cost and additional scope of the Hairmyres Loop extension and accessibility enhancements.

The project went to Transport Scotland’s Investment and Decision Making Board (IDM) in November 2022 and instruction was given to provide further assurance on the programme and the cost. Network Rail is working through providing further details to Transport Scotland and this should be finalised in the coming months. The project will then return to IDM Board prior to being provided to the Minister for Transport for endorsement
Umm keep sending it back to NR and they will add some more cost. Given this is supposed to be a rolling programme now in Scotland we should be seeing lower costs this is coming out at 10m/route km (ive deducted 20m to cover the track doubling) you have to question whether this was warranted given they have a plan for BEMUs - well they did but until we get the decarbonisation update perhaps not which is why they are committing to this now.