• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Kilbride/Barrhead electrification updates

MadMac

Larkhall was 2005 so a bit early.
Paisley Canal was 2012 so within the period I was thinking of.
But I was wondering if anyone remembered the total stks.
Canal flashed into my mind and flashed back out! I wasn’t sure of when Larkhall opened, hence the ?.

Off the top of the head again, a couple of hundred single track miles?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

snowball

Established Member
Do the budget and timescale suggest major bridge works?
I assume you mean EK? Well, it's a substantially bigger budget than Barrhead for a similar number of stks, so presumably yes. The timescale is similar to Barrhead so I hope they'll get a move on.

InOban

Established Member
I assume you mean EK? Well, it's a substantially bigger budget than Barrhead for a similar number of stks, so presumably yes. The timescale is similar to Barrhead so I hope they'll get a move on.
I was assuming that the increased cost was due to the relocation and rebuilding of Hairmyres

Rebuilding a bridge usually takes most of a year, so incompatible with completion by end of next year.

66C

I was talking to one of the NR engineers recently and he was saying that the track under the Clarkson Road bridge was to be lowered by 200mm to gain clearance.

Southsider

I was talking to one of the NR engineers recently and he was saying that the track under the Clarkson Road bridge was to be lowered by 200mm to gain clearance.
There’s a reference in a presentation on Paisley Canal electrification (screenshot below) which suggests 420mm lowering is required. Not sure which bridge it applies to but most are close to the ends of stations.
IMG_0112.png

Last edited:

Snow1964

Established Member
Network Rail have issued media release

Relocating Hairmyres station 600m off Redwood Avenue
1.4km of extended passing loop with second platform at Hairmyres
East Kilbride station enhancements
Lifts at Giffnock station
Additional entrance at Clarkston

Last edited:

snowball

Established Member
Same details as in previous press releases, and still no statement on whether EK will get a second platform.

EK community invited to railway event on station plans​

Network Rail is holding a public engagement event on Wednesday 11 October to highlight proposals for Hairmyres and East Kilbride stations.

Ahead of submitting a Prior Approval Notice with South Lanarkshire Council for the works, the event is being held at the Plaza Mall (outside Costa Coffee), EK Shopping Centre, from 1pm to 5pm.

The station proposals are part of the wider East Kilbride Enhancement project, a £139.8m investment at the centre of the Scottish Government’s ongoing strategy to decarbonise Scotland’s Railway.

Under the proposals, Hairmyres station will relocated to a site off Redwood Avenue, 600m to the west of its existing location, and a new accessible building at East Kilbride station will be built

Plans also include extending the existing track loop at Hairmyres by 1.4km and installing a second platform at the site of the new station. The enhanced loop will provide greater operational resilience during times of disruption and the opportunity to increase services to meet future demands.

Stephen McCall, Network Rail programme manager, said: “I would encourage East Kilbride residents to come along on the 11 October to meet the team and find out more about our plans for both stations and the sustainable benefits the wider project will deliver.

“The East Kilbride Enhancement project will create an electrified railway that allows us to remove diesel trains from the network and introduce carbon-free journeys for communities along the East Kilbride to Glasgow railway corridor. This will be a game changer in terms of the passenger experience, as the benefits will include improved line speed, reliability of service and a greener, cleaner railway environment.”

Working in collaboration with South Lanarkshire Council, the new location for Hairmyres station also creates an opportunity to provide an improved transport interchange hub with increased car parking, including disabled and EV charging spaces.

The council is leading on plans for the transport interchange which incorporates provision for new traffic signal-controlled junctions for the north and south areas, connections to the wider active travel network and secure cycle storage.

The station enhancements being delivered by Network Rail also include a new accessible footbridge with lifts at Giffnock station, a new footbridge and additional station entrance at Clarkston and a new station footbridge at Busby.

Members of the public can find out more about the East Kilbride Enhancement project by emailing [email protected] or calling the Network Rail helpline on 03457 11 41 41. For the latest information and updates as the project progresses, follow us on Twitter @NetworkRailScot or visit www.scotlandsrailway.com

Hairmyres station - Artist impression.jpg

See EK community invited to railway event on station plans

59CosG95

Established Member
Power has apparently gone on...
Network Rail has launched a radio campaign tomorrow (Wednesday 11 October), to warn the public that overhead power equipment on the Glasgow-Barrhead line is live.

Network Rail has launched a radio campaign tomorrow (Wednesday 11 October), to warn the public that overhead power equipment on the Glasgow-Barrhead line is live...

Last edited by a moderator:

gingertom

Established Member

The wires to Barrhead aren't due to go live until October 29th.

Was wondering, as we've not had any notices posted advising they are live. There's only 1 short section currently live and that's at Muirhouse where it ties into the existing OHLE for the Cathcart Circle toward Pollockshields West. There's also a new neutral section at Muirhouse on the up/down Barrhead.

The 29 Oct. energisation date has been notified at the start of the last three Weekly Operating Notices.

Must pay more attention to my notices - that's if the system we get them on is working and/or the super duper tablet decides to download said notices or not.

I expect we'll get a proper notice posted in the New notice case as was the case when the section at Muirhouse went live.

chuff chuff

Must pay more attention to my notices - that's if the system we get them on is working and/or the super duper tablet decides to download said notices or not.

I expect we'll get a proper notice posted in the New notice case as was the case when the section at Muirhouse went live.
Not to worry we're getting new tablets in September oh no that's gone,okay October mmmm no sign yet maybe November or maybe not....