• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Kilbride/Barrhead electrification updates

Paid a trip to the exhibition earlier today. It didn't seem to attract many on my time there. Unless you could read engineering drawings it did not really tell very much. Thankfully I can but perhaps others could not there probably was more information on the notice than what was available on the Day.

Bit of a poor show that could have been a lot better.
I visited the exhibition too. There were staff there from Network Rail and South Lanarkshire Council. There was a steady stream of visitors, mostly retired folk.

Yes, there were engineering drawings. I prefer these to a 'PR speak' interpretation - I want to see what is actually proposed. There is another presentation in an empty shop nearby in the mall on the proposed redevelopment of the East Kilbride Town Centre - this uses some of the worst 'Town Planner speak' terminology I have seen in a public presentation.

Some of the retired folk complained about the limited opening hours of the ticket office in East Kilbride station - they were not pleased when they were told that the rebuilt station will have ticket machines but no ticket office. (The Scotrail ticket machines do not sell concession tickets, although they may be bought from the guard on the train or at the excess fares desk in Glasgow Central)

It is clear that the relocated Hairmyres station will become the main station for East Kilbride. The engineering drawings refer to it as Hairmyres Park & Ride Station. It will have two large car parks with room for further expansion. There will be an EV charging station too. This will be a two platform station on the extended double track section with lifts and a pedestrian overbridge. South Lanarkshire Council will own the car parks, not Network Rail.

There isn't space to expand the car park at East Kilbride station - it will remain a single platform station. The station is located beside the old village rather than the town centre malls and bus station - it is about a 15 minute walk, partly in a trench - not good in the dark, rain, snow, sleet - this won't change.

There was nothing about the other stations on the line - I hope that the project team will host another public event in Clarkston or Giffnock.

The project plan is for the new stations to be completed and open by Summer 2025 with electric trains running in December 2025.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

clc

Established Member
I visited the exhibition too. There were staff there from Network Rail and South Lanarkshire Council. There was a steady stream of visitors, mostly retired folk.

Yes, there were engineering drawings. I prefer these to a 'PR speak' interpretation - I want to see what is actually proposed. There is another presentation in an empty shop nearby in the mall on the proposed redevelopment of the East Kilbride Town Centre - this uses some of the worst 'Town Planner speak' terminology I have seen in a public presentation.

Some of the retired folk complained about the limited opening hours of the ticket office in East Kilbride station - they were not pleased when they were told that the rebuilt station will have ticket machines but no ticket office. (The Scotrail ticket machines do not sell concession tickets, although they may be bought from the guard on the train or at the excess fares desk in Glasgow Central)

It is clear that the relocated Hairmyres station will become the main station for East Kilbride. The engineering drawings refer to it as Hairmyres Park & Ride Station. It will have two large car parks with room for further expansion. There will be an EV charging station too. This will be a two platform station on the extended double track section with lifts and a pedestrian overbridge. South Lanarkshire Council will own the car parks, not Network Rail.

There isn't space to expand the car park at East Kilbride station - it will remain a single platform station. The station is located beside the old village rather than the town centre malls and bus station - it is about a 15 minute walk, partly in a trench - not good in the dark, rain, snow, sleet - this won't change.

There was nothing about the other stations on the line - I hope that the project team will host another public event in Clarkston or Giffnock.

The project plan is for the new stations to be completed and open by Summer 2025 with electric trains running in December 2025.
Thanks for the summary. Do you know if the new Hairmyers station will have a ticket office?

This past week, a contractor built a new industrial mesh fence alongside Pollokshaws Road from the entrance to the VW dealership to the entrance to the Pollok Country Park. In my opinion this design of fence is not in keeping with the country park, although this boundary would be just outside the designated conservation zone. Green palisade fencing would have been better.

Also, another contractor removed about 10 mature trees from the Busby Junction side of the Thornliebank Road over bridge - an improvement and perhaps a necessary prerequisite to other work on this bridge. The end of the electrification from Busby Junction is now visible from this bridge.

Attachments

• Pollok Country Park 1.jpg
    Pollok Country Park 1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 184
  • Pollok Country Park 3.jpg
    Pollok Country Park 3.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 183
  • Pollok Country Park 4.jpg
    Pollok Country Park 4.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 176
  • Thornliebank Bridge.jpg
    Thornliebank Bridge.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 192

Falcon1200

Established Member
This past week, a contractor built a new industrial mesh fence alongside Pollokshaws Road from the entrance to the VW dealership to the entrance to the Pollok Country Park. In my opinion this design of fence is not in keeping with the country park,

Given that the fence is alongside a very busy dual carriageway road I don't see it as an issue myself!

snowball

Established Member
Is it known to be meant to be permanent? It has a bit of a temporary look.

Edit: Checking the map location it's not clear why they would be putting it there now if it's temporary.

Last edited:

Southsider

Is it known to be meant to be permanent? It has a bit of a temporary look.

Edit: Checking the map location it's not clear why they would be putting it there now if it's temporary.
Looks temporary to me too. I wonder what it’s protecting. Possible tree felling?

mcmad

Its standard weld mesh fencing so its a permanent fence. Looks better than palisade fence to me and will soon weather down.

clc

Established Member
Am i right in thinking that only 1tph will be electric as the other 2tph continue to Kilmarnock?

Am i right in thinking that only 1tph will be electric as the other 2tph continue to Kilmarnock?

Yes, from 10th December 1tph will be operated by a class 380/1 to Barrhead. All other services will continue to be operated by 156 DMUs.

I see the RMT is balloting for industrial action over DOO on the Barrhead line.

Guess it's not really a surprise considering The amount of DOO in use from Glasgow Central. No doubt a similar deal to the SPT one many years ago where guards retained their grade and pay but were Ticket Examiners. RMT can hardly claim the Safety Issues given the number of years it has been in use. Will be an extension of the SPT manning agreement.

InOban

Established Member
There was a major standoff before the Airdrie / Bathgate line opened because this involves DOO extending out of Strathclyde into Waverley. I'm not sure of the staffing on the Shotts services.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes it's effectively a re-run if what happened with the Airdrie/Bathgate line, however any further discussion on the topic would belong in a separate thread

OB23Gone

Yes, all wires from Muirhouse to Barrhead are now live.
Through the door update and thank you. Also noticed that on the test run the dwell time has risen from 1/2 mim standard to 8 mins.

Attachments

• IMG_20231102_0001.jpg
    IMG_20231102_0001.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 127
  • IMG_20231102_0002.jpg
    IMG_20231102_0002.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 124
Yes, all wires from Muirhouse to Barrhead are now live.
The covers were removed from the "Electric Trains No Access" signs for the Larkfield chord, which seems to confirm it.

The contractors erected protective screens along part of the mesh fence behind platform 1 at Pollokshaws West station, adjacent to the masts. Are these temporary? Are they there in case of a fault condition during testing?

Attachments

• Pollokshaws West 2.jpg
    Pollokshaws West 2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 117
  • Pollokshaws West 3.jpg
    Pollokshaws West 3.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 117

59CosG95

Established Member
The covers were removed from the "Electric Trains No Access" signs for the Larkfield chord, which seems to confirm it.

The contractors erected protective screens along part of the mesh fence behind platform 1 at Pollokshaws West station, adjacent to the masts. Are these temporary? Are they there in case of a fault condition during testing?
I think the screens are temporary - my hunch is that the fencing will be renewed with something a little more robust than the current concrete post & steel mesh affair.

SC318250

The link above is for tonight.
There were 3 trips early this morning, 1 to each platform

I think the screens are temporary - my hunch is that the fencing will be renewed with something a little more robust than the current concrete post & steel mesh affair.
Recently, they renewed the gates in the concrete post and steel mesh fence and so I would be surprised if they renewed the whole fence.

There were 3 trips early this morning, 1 to each platform
Yes, I saw the first 'Up Barrhead' working pass my house early this morning. It seemed that everyone involved in the project was onboard.

Barrhead is bi-directionally signalled and the Barrhead stopper can turn back from any of the three platforms, although usually it turns back from the bay platform.

I see the RMT is balloting for industrial action over DOO on the Barrhead line.

Barrhead line electric services will be full conductor operation until at least June 2024. Confirmed today that conductors will open and close doors on class 380s working services to and from Barrhead.

Seems the threat of industrial action in the lead up to the Christmas period has been enough to sway ScotRail management for now.

(I'm not able post the internal communication of this update, as I like my job too much to risk any sort of social media policy breach)