• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Kilbride/Barrhead electrification updates

GLC

14 months seems like a very long time for a single bridge over a two track railway. The Shields Road closure is only twelve months and that is a much bigger bridge. I'm sure there are good reasons for that length of time but I'm surprised at it

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gingertom

Established Member
14 months seems like a very long time for a single bridge over a two track railway. The Shields Road closure is only twelve months and that is a much bigger bridge. I'm sure there are good reasons for that length of time but I'm surprised at it
indeed 14 months does sound excessive. It might be down to the amount of utilities that need diverting and restoring afterwards- in my personal experience some utilities are not the quickest out of the blocks.

The Firstbus website states:
Due to works by network rail, Thornliebank Road will be closed from 2nd April for a period of 6-months.

This will have a resulting impact on services 56 & 57A, which will operate a diversion as a result of the road closure.
Perhaps 6 months is the limit of their planning horizon?
The diversions via Giffnock will extend journey times significantly.

Thornliebank Road Bridge 2.jpg
Photograph of the Thornliebank Road over bridge taken from platform 1 (Glasgow bound) of Thornliebank Station.

The dates in today's press release agree exactly on start date, and approximately on finish date, with those on the Scottish Road Works site.
My comment was about the FirstBus planning horizon, not Network Rail.

I note that the routes affected are 57 and 57A, not 56 and 57A. FirstBus Greater Glasgow doesn't have a route 56!

A diversion via Barrhead Road - Kennishead Road and Boydstone Road wouldn't be possible due to the single lane low underbridge adjacent to Kennishead Station. The 57A terminates at Kennishead Station. Many passengers from Carnwadric use the 57A to Shawlands - a bus journey via Giffnock wouldn't compete with the train from Kennishead to Crossmyloof, so we might see passengers switch to the train.

snowball

Established Member
My comment was about the FirstBus planning horizon, not Network Rail.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I realised that you were talking about FirstBus. I was bringing in a third source of information in the hope that it might act as a tie-breaker in the possible disagreement between Network Rail and First Bus.

I know nothing about current bus routes and schedules in the area.

Meerkat

Established Member
The dates in today's press release agree exactly on start date, and approximately on finish date, with those on the Scottish Road Works site.
Round here there is a map that shows all roadworks in the county. But its pretty useless because the dates given are the window the contractor has applied for to do the work, rather than exactly when they need the road to be closed and for how long. Some of them are down as the road being closed for a few months but its actually only closed for a few days.

PaulC1309

Local Facebook pages are all having a good moan about this. 14 months does seem a bit excessive to replace this bridge. I'd imagine Burnfield Road bridge will be next. Another arch bridge. Hopefully Fenwick Road bridge will be ok as this really would be a traffic nightmare.

Re6/6

The real horror will the bridge at Clarkston. So many traffic flows converge there and a prolonged job will result major disruption of traffic to and from Glasgow.

Southsider

The real horror will the bridge at Clarkston. So many traffic flows converge there and a prolonged job will result major disruption of traffic to and from Glasgow.
I reckon (as a total layman) that they could build a new bridge on a better alignment leaving the old one open until it’s complete. There has been some activity, the trees and shrubs around the bridge have been removed.

snowball

Established Member
Press release

Network Rail is reminding passengers that a number of parking spaces at East Kilbride station will be temporarily out of use to allow the safe delivery of construction works.

From 4 March,129 parking spaces at the station will be used to safely house a site compound in operation until work to construct the new station building finishes in June 2025. In addition to welfare and office facilities for staff, the compound provides the necessary space for plant and materials being used to deliver the works.

The 16-month programme started last month and is a key milestone in the East Kilbride enhancement project.

It’s all part of a wider £139.8m investment at the centre of the Scottish Government’s ongoing strategy to decarbonise Scotland’s Railway.

Since activity got underway on the wider enhancement project, works have progressed significantly.

From early January, ground works cleared an area of 20,000m2 to install a new access road to the newly created site compound and to allow works to begin on the new the Hairmyres station building and platforms.

Three successful bridge demolitions were delivered over Christmas and New Year to generate the required height clearance below two of the bridges for the new overhead electrification equipment. This includes the footbridge next to the existing Hairmyres station, which is due to re-open in early March and the road bridge at Thornton Road.

d9009alycidon

I reckon (as a total layman) that they could build a new bridge on a better alignment leaving the old one open until it’s complete. There has been some activity, the trees and shrubs around the bridge have been removed.

I can't see how a new bridge could be built without demolishing buildings, I really is a tight location. Would it be possible to lower the tracks beneath the bridge and steepen the gradient between the bridge and the platform ends, this is about 150m. It is currently 1:68 around here, quite steep but as we know modern EMUs can climb gradients a good bit steeper

Southsider

I can't see how a new bridge could be built without demolishing buildings, I really is a tight location. Would it be possible to lower the tracks beneath the bridge and steepen the gradient between the bridge and the platform ends, this is about 150m. It is currently 1:68 around here, quite steep but as we know modern EMUs can climb gradients a good bit steeper
Take a bit of the car park, cross the line and come out where the advertising hoardings are.

IMG_0226.jpeg

snowball

Established Member
This discussion seems to have happened half a dozen times in this thread.

To me it seems clear on Google satellite view that there's plenty of room to build a new bridge on a new alignment at Clarkston without demolishing any buildings.

You'd go through this hoarding:

My one concern is that the road over the bridge and down to the roundabout might have to be steep.

However I now think they will not do it that way. I think they will alter the bridge in its existing location. The roadworks website says "refurbishment/reconstruction of structure".

The roadworks website also has an item for 2 nights of work coming up on 3-4 March, "carry out trial pits at base of parapets."

clc

Established Member
Hopefully they will straighten and widen the bridge to give pedestrians more space. A diversion through Stamperland shouldn’t be too problematic.

This discussion seems to have happened half a dozen times in this thread.

To me it seems clear on Google satellite view that there's plenty of room to build a new bridge on a new alignment at Clarkston without demolishing any buildings.

You'd go through this hoarding:

My one concern is that the road over the bridge and down to the roundabout might have to be steep.

However I now think they will not do it that way. I think they will alter the bridge in its existing location. The roadworks website says "refurbishment/reconstruction of structure".

The roadworks website also has an item for 2 nights of work coming up on 3-4 March, "carry out trial pits at base of parapets."
Perhaps there is room for a new alignment but it it nerds purchasing land and the owner is asking silly prices. It would certainly reduce the current replacement time and hassle. Guess it could be compulsory purchased.

snowball

Established Member
Perhaps there is room for a new alignment but it it nerds purchasing land and the owner is asking silly prices.

Who owns the car park? It looks likely to be the local authority as Clarkston Hall and Clarkston Library front onto it. Even if it's privately owned, Network Rail, or more likely the local authority as the probable promoter of a road realignment, would apply for a CPO, and the land would be valued by the district valuer (or Scottish equivalent).

But we would probably have seen a planning application by now if a road realignment was proposed.

Most likely it has either not occurred to anybody to realign the road, or the local authority has decided it can't afford it.

Who owns the car park? It looks likely to be the local authority as Clarkston Hall and Clarkston Library front onto it. Even if it's privately owned, Network Rail, or more likely the local authority as the probable promoter of a road realignment, would apply for a CPO, and the land would be valued by the district valuer (or Scottish equivalent).

But we would probably have seen a planning application by now if a road realignment was proposed.

Most likely it has either not occurred to anybody to realign the road, or the local authority has decided it can't afford it.
Perhaps the East Renfrewshire Council has had it's budget cut like all local Authorities. Even the Scottish Government has seen it's major Projects budget cut. Although it must be said that the Council is one of the more well heeled authorities. It would be the main benefactor of a new road and bridge. Sounds very much like political political posturing by the Council looking for somebody else to fund their work.

sannox

Clarkston looks no worse than others with land either side. You might have some impact when you start having to regrading existing to tie in, and it might be fairly steep but off-line looks possible.

Most of the time period is to deal with services (utilities) which are pretty complex to move and it's like herding cats to get all the service providers in line to move stuff. Shields Road for example, the time line is road shut in August, November - divert services on to temporary bridge, February - temporary bridge opening. The actual demolition and rebuild of bridge deck is listed at 3 months.

Today, I took a leap day walk and a ride up to Hairmyres. I was surprised that a DRS class 66 ran light through Pollokshaws West station to East Kilbride. Route learning for the engineering works, perhaps?

There are new bug houses behind platform 1 at Pollokshaws West station - environmental mitigation?

There are notices advising the public of planned works at platform 1 at Pollokshaws West station between Saturday 9th March and Friday 12th April.

The piling team has been busy between Thornliebank station and Busby station. Scores of steel piles and concrete foundations are in situ.

Contractors are working on the approaches to the replacement pedestrian bridge between the sites of the old and new Hairmyres stations.

Contractors are working on the new Hairmyres station.

Attachments

• Burrell bug collection.jpg
    Burrell bug collection.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 120
  • DRS class 66 at Hairmyres station.jpg
    DRS class 66 at Hairmyres station.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 117
  • DRS class 66 at Pollokshaws West station.jpg
    DRS class 66 at Pollokshaws West station.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 115
  • Hairmyres pedestrian bridge.jpg
    Hairmyres pedestrian bridge.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 111
  • New mesh at Pollokshaws West station.jpg
    New mesh at Pollokshaws West station.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 98
  • Pollok bug house.jpg
    Pollok bug house.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 105
  • Pollokshaws West station notice.jpg
    Pollokshaws West station notice.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 116
  • Site of the new Hairmyres station.jpg
    Site of the new Hairmyres station.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 127

Southsider

Today, I took a leap day walk and a ride up to Hairmyres. I was surprised that a DRS class 66 ran light through Pollokshaws West station to East Kilbride. Route learning for the engineering works, perhaps?

There are new bug houses behind platform 1 at Pollokshaws West station - environmental mitigation?

There are notices advising the public of planned works at platform 1 at Pollokshaws West station between Saturday 9th March and Friday 12th April.

The piling team has been busy between Thornliebank station and Busby station. Scores of steel piles and concrete foundations are in situ.

Contractors are working on the approaches to the replacement pedestrian bridge between the sites of the old and new Hairmyres stations.

Contractors are working on the new Hairmyres station.
The Class 66 has just passed Giffnock heading for East Kilbride again.

Southsider

A wooden template of the mast baseplate hole centres will be sat across the top of the circular steel former and heavy duty threaded rod will be inserted prior to pouring the concrete. Steel reinforcing bar may also be placed inside the steel former down the augered out hole.

Quite a few of the mast bases on the Barrhead line have been done this way, presumably because the ground conditions were not hard or stable enough to take the standard steel pile.
This has now been done.

OB23Gone

Pollokshaws West Neighbour News Sheet:- West Station Platform Works 5 Weeks. Pollokshaws Road New Fence now to be REPLACED Ie dismantled, got shot of and Another New Sympathetic one to Replace It. Why not get it right in the 1st place and save money. Darnley Road Compound to be dismantled and Stone boundary wall to be reinstated. Hope they do a good job

Attachments

• Shaws West Platform Works.jpg
    Shaws West Platform Works.jpg
    418.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20240304_0002.jpg
    IMG_20240304_0002.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 39
Pollokshaws Road New Fence now to be REPLACED Ie dismantled, got shot of and Another New Sympathetic one to Replace It. Why not get it right in the 1st place and save money.
I posted photographs of this industrial mesh fence in post #1685:
This past week, a contractor built a new industrial mesh fence alongside Pollokshaws Road from the entrance to the VW dealership to the entrance to the Pollok Country Park. In my opinion this design of fence is not in keeping with the country park, although this boundary would be just outside the designated conservation zone. Green palisade fencing would have been better.
Some forum members thought that this type of fence is acceptable. I think it should have a notice on it starting with the letters "H.M.P." I am pleased that it is to be replaced but I agree with @OB23Gone that it would have been better to have specified a more suitable type originally.

Southsider

I posted photographs of this industrial mesh fence in post #1685:

Some forum members thought that this type of fence is acceptable. I think it should have a notice on it starting with the letters "H.M.P." I am pleased that it is to be replaced but I agree with @OB23Gone that it would have been better to have specified a more suitable type originally.
Glad to hear it’s being changed but I echo the comment that it should never have been erected.

snowball

Established Member
Press release

Network Rail has opened a new railway footbridge next to Hairmyres station.

The bridge installation is one element in a wider engineering programme on the £140m electrification project and is part of a Scottish Government investment to decarbonise passenger services.

Alongside contractor Story, Network Rail opened the footbridge on Friday 1 March, having started work in December 2023 to replace the footbridge next to Eaglesham Court and leading to Peel Park Place.

It’s one of several along the East Kilbride to Glasgow railway corridor being raised to provide the safe height clearance to run the overhead line equipment underneath.

At 22 metres in length, the footbridge is more than double the span of the former stone arch structure (8.3 metre span) it replaced.

This is to allow a 1.4km track extension to the existing Hairmyres loop, which will improve the operational resilience of the branch line particularly during times of unplanned disruption.

Simon Humble, Network Rail’s project manager for the bridge works, said: “The new footbridge is necessary in allowing us to electrify the line in this location.

“This work also represents the completion of the first piece of structural engineering on the East Kilbride enhancement project and as such, is an important milestone achieved by the team.

“I want to thank the community, particularly our nearest neighbours at Eaglesham Court, for the patience shown throughout delivery of the works.”

This bridge is one of three in the Hairmyres area demolished over the Christmas and New Year period, with work to replace the road bridge at Thornton Road due to complete next month.

The East Kilbride enhancement project follows on from the recent electrification of the Glasgow - Barrhead line, with electric Class 380 trains introduced on to this route in December 2023.

Electric services will be introduced on the East Kilbride line following completion of the project in December 2025 and will offer enhanced operational performance and flexibility of service on the route.

I've updated my list in #1827.

Network Rail will hold a public information event about the replacement of the Thornliebank Road over bridge.

Wednesday 13th March 16:00-19:00
Thursday 14th March 16:00-19:00

Venue: Thorntree Hall, 7 Main Street, Thornliebank G46 7SG

d9009alycidon

Was at Eastwood Medical Centre this afternoon and noticed at least one lattice structure in place on the Clarkston side of the Neilston line bridge.