• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Lancs Railway - 2020 Spring Steam Gala Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Hill

Folks

A late addition to our Spring Steam Gala this coming weekend. Delighted to announce GWR Pannier tank 6412 will be running. Huge thanks to the South Devon Railway.

In addition, we have following:
  • Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Loco 752 running as 51456 - Her first fare paying passenger train since 1982, after a long restoration project
  • Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Class A 52322
  • Hunslet 2890 0-6-0 "Douglas"
  • LMS Stanier Class 5 4-6-0 44871
  • BR Standard Class 4 2-6-4T 80097
  • MSC 32 "Gothenburg"
Other attractions include:
- Observation Saloon will be out each day for a one-way flat fare of £5 to include a tea of coffee
- Cafe and on-board buffet
- Two real ale pubs at Bury and Rawtenstall
- Shop and various stallholders offering merchandise

Click her to book your tickets in advance:
http://www.eastlancsrailway.org.uk/events-activities/2020/3/spring-steam-gala.aspx

Further dates for your diary:
- Visit of Britannia (Easter Weekend)
- Summer Diesel Spectacular (2-4 July)
- Autumn Steam Gala (9-11 October)
- DMU Weekend (7-8 November)

Kind regards,

Mark Hill, Commercial Manager, ELR.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
Thanks for sharing Mark. The summer diesel spectacular appeals to me. Any more details on that?

Excellent line by the way!

sprinterguy

Established Member
Will The Trackside bar at Bury be open as normal on Sunday? As the Gala event page only mentions opening times for Friday and Saturday, which got me wondering as that's the day I was thinking of potentially popping up there.

alexl92

Established Member
Looks like a good lineup!

I think 34092 might still be undergoing winter overhaul?

So gutted they never left MSC 32 in the lovely dark blue livery it carried for a short while last year. All the photos of it in that livery were either in really low light (sunset etc) or reproduced in a tiny corner of a magazine - if anyone has any clearer photos I'd love to see them!

Spartacus

Established Member
Looks like a good lineup!

I think 34092 might still be undergoing winter overhaul?

So gutted they never left MSC 32 in the lovely dark blue livery it carried for a short while last year. All the photos of it in that livery were either in really low light (sunset etc) or reproduced in a tiny corner of a magazine - if anyone has any clearer photos I'd love to see them!

Is this the one? https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/49/MSC_No._32_at_Bolton_(Geograph_5950438).jpg

alexl92

Established Member
That's the loco & livery but not seen a well-lit side profile!

Bevan Price

Established Member
Went to the gala on Saturday 7 March -- all seemed to be running very well - congratulations to the ELR.
However, somebody seemed to be trying to confuse us over loco identities. "2890" was pretending to be 52322, whilst the real 52322 was disguised as 52345. Not working, but on display at Bury Bolton St. was an ex-L&YR Aspinall "Pug" 0-4-0ST pretending to be 51241.

alexl92

Established Member
Went to the gala on Saturday 7 March -- all seemed to be running very well - congratulations to the ELR.
However, somebody seemed to be trying to confuse us over loco identities. "2890" was pretending to be 52322, whilst the real 52322 was disguised as 52345. Not working, but on display at Bury Bolton St. was an ex-L&YR Aspinall "Pug" 0-4-0ST pretending to be 51241.

Having the Pug in BR livery to match the Aspinall Class 23 I can understand, likewise having the A-class renumbered... but does anyone know why 2890 was renumbered as 52322?! Surely a different number of the same class, or a hypothetical BR number would have been more logical?

geoffk

Established Member
The Pug was LMS 11243, so should really have been 51243. I was told that a 51241 front numberplate was available and had been used for a charter at Goole, where this loco was shedded.

Status
Not open for further replies.