• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East-West Rail (EWR): Consultation updates [not speculation]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Do we know what the temporary connection looks like before this is implemented? My post wasn't intended to imply that we knew that, merely that there would have to be some sort of rail unloading facility before they, er, start unloading stuff off rail. For economy the contractor will want to build the permanent connection early rather than building and removing one or more temporary ones, but the logistics of the build may make that impossible.
The HS2 construction railhead at Calvert will be twice the size of the permanent compound. You get an idea for the size of the railhead from Google Maps, where you can see the scar of the diverted HP gas main along the northern boundary. Anyway, there will be north and south facing turnouts from the the railhead onto the HS2 trace. In fact, North Street will have a bridge over the north facing turnout, that once construction is complete will become redundant.

mwmbwls

East West Railway Company – Chair

“Looking for a new and exhilarating challenge leading a visionary UK based infrastructure delivery organisation? Excited by the thought of positively challenging industry norms and inspiring a team to surpass customer expectations? Then look no further than the opportunity to chair the Board of the East West Railway Company – a company at the forefront of the changing landscape of the rail industry, delivering a multi-billion pound rail link with services connecting Oxford, Milton Keynes, Bedford and Cambridge and places in between. The East West Railway Company (EWR Co) was set up as a company in 2017, and constituted as an arms-length body of the Department for Transport in September 2018. It was created to drive forward the delivery of the East West Rail project – a new direct line, providing much-needed East West connectivity to unlock the economic potential of the Oxford Cambridge Arc – supporting new jobs and communities, as well as reducing journey times, congestion and travel costs for residents and commuters.”

Time: 2 days per week.

Remuneration: £75,000 per annum.

Closes: 19 October

Given the amount of expertise demonstrated here - Surely one of us would be a shoe-in? If that is you can spare the time?

Class 170101

Established Member
Sounds like you need to be a member of the Conservative Party to get on or am I just being cynical.

peteb

Sounds like you need to be a member of the Conservative Party to get on or am I just being cynical.
Sounds like a job for Dido Harding! She's got a brilliant "track" record, old pals with Boris etc. What could possibly go wrong with Dido at the helm?

mwmbwls

Not quite - Conservative Home publicises many these appointments to what used to be called QANGOs in order to stuff them with party sympathisers. I think that it would be useful to appoint someone who understood what had gone wrong on earlier projects might be useful - Roger Ford?

Last edited:

CyrusWuff

Established Member
This does beg the question of where Rob Brighouse (current EWR Chair and former MD of Chiltern and Deputy MD of London Overground) is going.

Class 170101

Established Member
As long as Grayling doesn't get the job.

Hopefully he is too busy advising Hutchinson Ports.
Chris Grayling to advise ports operator in £100,000 role
Ex-Transport Secretary Chris Grayling has landed a £100,000 job advising the owner of some of the UK's top ports.
The Conservative MP is working for Hutchison Ports, which operates Harwich and Felixstowe among other terminals.
According to the MPs' register of financial interests, he will be paid for seven hours work a week for a year.

The Ham

Established Member
Gosh! That leaves him plenty of time to work for EWR. Who else can we get interested to ensure he doesn't?

We certainly would prefer someone that would push for electrification as soon as possible, if not at opening.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
I see that the last of the segments from the Bletchley Fly over has been removed. according to RMWEB
The cynic in me wonders whether the project will now get cancelled - once all the demolition work is complete and before any meaningful construction work begins.

mwmbwls

What are the next steps and timescales in this project? Are all the columns to be subjected to deep inspection?

S-Car-Go

75k for 2 days a week?! And there was I thinking drivers had it good on 60k for a 4 day week :lol:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
What are the next steps and timescales in this project? Are all the columns to be subjected to deep inspection?
They’ve already published planning drawings showing exactly which columns are going, and which remain (and some are strengthened).
I’d expect unless anything scary has suddenly become visible since the removals then they’ll move straight on to construction.

S-Car-Go

Was it random columns that needed strengthening? Or the ones around the station area where additional support would be needed for platforms, shelters , and footbridges?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Was it random columns that needed strengthening? Or the ones around the station area where additional support would be needed for platforms, shelters , and footbridges?
If you find post #3769 in this thread I attached a pdf showing exactly what’s being done pier by pier along the viaduct. There doesn’t appear to be any correlation with the station area, in fact it’s explained in the planning documents that the platforms are to be independently supported on brand new structure.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
This is post 3679 - I can't see the pdf attachment. Would you mind linking to it?
Sorry my fault, a typo it’s 3769:

mwmbwls

Am I right in thinking that the piers to be replaced were not conventional T shaped piers?

Trainee9

On the night of 10/11 Oct some work was clearly going on at the Bletchley flyover, and by Sunday morning the last three curved concrete beams had been removed from the piers near the end of Duncome Street. They could be seen in the concrete breaking area in the big Water Eaton Road compound. To the left, a large area had been cleared of equipment and bits of flyover. A day or so later the big blue crane had gone (job done?)
On Wednesday morning the concrete breaker was noisily attacking the northernmost of the uncovered concrete piers, near the Bletchley railway station. The pedestrian route to the railway station from the Brunel Centre had been re-routed across a now cleared section of Buckingham Road next to the Brunel roundabout.
101_0663.jpg101_0664.jpg101_0665.jpg

gallafent

East West Railway Company has launched a new community outreach / engagement website. Could be a good place to find information and make enquiries …

East West Railway Company (EWR Co), the company responsible for delivering the new East West Rail connection between Oxford and Cambridge, has launched a new Community Hub on their website, encouraging local residents to get involved in how their new railway is developed.

The Community Hub provides a new platform where people can ask questions, take part in surveys and discussions, and access information relating to their local area. There are clear labels to inform Community Hub users how their information and feedback will be used. The Community Hub will host a rolling programme of activity, inspiring local communities to get involved with all aspects of developing sustainable transport in their region. It launches this week with four fantastic features, encouraging people to:

• Improve journeys for everyone by telling the EWR Co Customer Experience team their best and worst travel experiences so EWR Co can get it right from the start
  • Feed into a definitive history of the Varsity Line by sharing memories about the line which once ran from Oxford to Cambridge
  • Learn about Preferred Route Option between Bedford and Cambridge, by exploring the dedicated document library
  • Help communities get better access to information by filling out a quick survey on what communications methods they like to use – and what doesn’t work!
In its drive to put community right at the heart of the new East West Rail connection, East West Railway Company has welcomed Claire Keith-Anderson to the team, filling a new role as Community Engagement Manager. Claire will develop the new online hub and seek to connect in innovative ways with local people, particularly communities who may not have traditionally got involved with the development of the new railway so far. She said:

“We’re looking forward to welcoming residents all the way from Oxford, Milton Keynes, Bedford, Cambridge and the communities in between, to this new online space; and we want everyone to play a part in bringing forward a new sustainable railway connection that will help to secure the future prosperity of the whole area.

“Over the past few months, due to Covid, we haven’t been able to be out and about, talking face-to-face with local people. I know this has been disappointing for our team, so we’ve invested our time and energy thinking about ways to reach out and listen to communities across the area whatever else is going on in the world. The Hub is a really innovative and exciting place for people to share information and ideas.“

The Community Hub has been set up in advance of public consultations planned for early 2021, giving communities a one-stop-shop on the East West Rail project. As well as the new online platform – communityhub.eastwestrail.co.uk - local residents can also contact East West Railway Company at any time:

Online: www.eastwestrail.co.uk

By email: [email protected]

By phone: 0330 1340067

By post: FREEPOST East West Rail

has launched a new Community Hub on their website

A good start would be to have the correct link in the press release (or to configure their DNS / webserver correctly).

At the moment you need to visit https://communityhub.eastwestrail.co.uk/ (without the www. at the beginning) to reach the site.

At the moment you need to visit https://communityhub.eastwestrail.co.uk/ (without the www. at the beginning) to reach the site.

(I contacted them and had an email back saying they're fixing it!)

Last edited:

Trainee9

Bletchley flyover works, 16 Oct:
The northernmost exposed pier has been demolished and nothing is visible. A large red crane has arrived at the end of Duncombe Street, in the same position formerly occupied by the big blue one. One of the adjacent horizontal lintels now has four large round holes in it which I did not notice previously. No obvious crane action on Saturday morning, so it is possible that a lift will take place on Sat night/Sunday morning.
101_0667.jpg101_0668.jpg101_0669.jpg

18 Oct, 11.30 am. There seemed to be crane activity during the night. This morning, the red crane is nowhere to be seen, and one of the piers is on the ground in two sections, cleanly cut off at the bases and in the middle of the horizontal beam.

Last edited:

Class 170101

Established Member
Possible location for station at Cambourne
Seems like Browne wants a new station but not one in the actual town.

Why do politicans want railway stations in the middle of nowhere? So after a few years they can say no one uses it and close the station and / or the line?

Status
Not open for further replies.