• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East-West Rail (EWR): Consultation updates [not speculation]

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Is there a risk the re-alignment could be descoped as part of an HS2 cost saving exercise, and thus the line closed, with freight to Calvert being redirected?
It wouldn't save enough to make the smallest of dents. It would also make a chunk of E-W redundant from the start with a double junction laying un-used.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DelW

Established Member
Four photos of progress with the Bletchley flyover rebuild on a Twitter post here:

Does it look as if the concrete wall units are hollow, presumably they get filled with a continuous concrete pour once up to full height?
The precast system in use here (and at Launton) seems to be one that has been developed by Laing O'Rourke for Highways England, which is described here (scroll down to "Modular Abutments"):
Essentially the precast "boxes" are permanent formwork for insitu concrete poured within them.
Modular abutments
Recognising that standardised precast deck beams have been used for decades, the focus of this work has been a modular system for abutments, wing-walls and piers. It is based on precast shell units that are two metres high, 1.75 metres deep and form a two-metre horizontal grid. The units can be stacked to create the required height of abutment or wall, with matching sloping L-wall units to form wing-walls.
A challenge for off-site construction is forming the connections between prefabricated units, particularly given the high forces present in bridges. The shell system provides a relatively thin precast wall around internal voids, and delivers a high-quality factory-formed finish. The structural strength is provided by in-situ concrete poured within the voids.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The precast system in use here (and at Launton) seems to be one that has been developed by Laing O'Rourke for Highways England, which is described here (scroll down to "Modular Abutments"):
Essentially the precast "boxes" are permanent formwork for insitu concrete poured within them.
Brilliant - thanks for finding that detail. I suppose as in the article a real advantage of it is that the exterior finish to the visible blocks is of a repeatable factory made quality - and highly accurate sizes.

DelW

Established Member
Brilliant - thanks for finding that detail. I suppose as in the article a real advantage of it is that the exterior finish to the visible blocks is of a repeatable factory made quality - and highly accurate sizes.
That's certainly an advantage, plus moving a proportion of the work indoors should reduce the likelihood of weather delays. I'm not surprised it's Laing O'Rourke involved, since factory-based construction has been one of Ray O'Rourke's objectives for years.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
That's certainly an advantage, plus moving a proportion of the work indoors should reduce the likelihood of weather delays. I'm not surprised it's Laing O'Rourke involved, since factory-based construction has been one of Ray O'Rourke's objectives for years.
They did all the platforms for Metrolink Phase 3 that way.

alexx

Some updates from Bicester: everything's looking quite a bit different in Charbridge Lane - the cranes have gone, as have the concrete posts it seems. The Jarvis Lane footbridge also appears to have made an appearance in the past few days.

Facing towards Bicester Village. The Jarvis Lane bridge can be seen in the distance.

Attach filesIMG_2549.jpgIMG_2548.jpg

And then towards Bletchley:
IMG_2547.jpgIMG_2545.jpgIMG_2546.jpg

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Some updates from Bicester: everything's looking quite a bit different in Charbridge Lane - the cranes have gone, as have the concrete posts it seems. The Jarvis Lane footbridge also appears to have made an appearance in the past few days.

Facing towa
Well, it’s quite intriguing how those concrete piles have now gone. Whatever they were for, at least the problem suggested in post #4756 is no longer there...

ironstone11

Well, it’s quite intriguing how those concrete piles have now gone. Whatever they were for, at least the problem suggested in post #4756 is no longer there...
The 'concrete piles' were steel tubes which were to prevent the bored holes for the piles falling in. As the holes are filled with concrete the tubes are pulled out and at the same time the reinforcing cage is lowered into the hole. They are not always used for this type of piling. It depends on ground conditions and water ingress.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The 'concrete piles' were steel tubes which were to prevent the bored holes for the piles falling in. As the holes are filled with concrete the tubes are pulled out and at the same time the reinforcing cage is lowered into the hole. They are not always used for this type of piling. It depends on ground conditions and water ingress.
Oh right, I think I’ve seen those in use somewhere before, so as they’re made of sections having part of the tubes sticking out of the ground at certain stages will be quite normal practice.

The original photo was removed but at the time they did look rather like concrete.

Trainee9

Interesting posts above about the concrete shell units and the steel tubes used for lining pile holes. I think I saw the large steel tubes being used at the piling for replacement piers at the Bletchley viaduct site.
Yesterday I had an informative conversation with an engineer just outside the Water Eaton worksite. A large yellow crane was on site and unloading long precast concrete beams from road trucks. A wall of concrete shell units has been erected on the west side of the tracks, part of the new box unit. This side is complete asides from sill beams and waterproofing, and work on the east side, in a more confined area, should start today (23 March). When the other wall is complete, some of the concrete beams will be placed across and the electric cables will be clipped to the undersides. The steel overhead line gantries will then be removed and the rest of the beams placed in position. The Twitter post linked above shows that the wall is curved, but this is not evident from a distance. The wall can be seen above the white fence in the attached photo (taken on 20th Mar)

101_0810.JPG.
Shell units will also be used to build three or so replacement piers.
I also found some pictures via the Twitter link a few posts above, showing what is happening at Pier 30 and Pier 17. This work is entirely invisible from outside the site. I wondered what was going on atop the embankment by the Buckingham Road. You may need to scroll down a bit.
https://twitter.com/LittleHKiwi

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Couple of relatively new videos on youtube, I think the second one covers the same bridge as the recent photos:

Clayton

On Moderation
You’ve got to say, this is really exciting! A new through route on the bed of a Beeching era closure - and one in Devon too! Can’t wait to gave a go on them. Along with HS2 they do demonstrate faith in the future of rail.

You’ve got to say, this is really exciting! A new through route on the bed of a Beeching era closure - and one in Devon too! Can’t wait to gave a go on them. Along with HS2 they do demonstrate faith in the future of rail.
Quite. If the answer wasn't 'he couldn't care less', I'd wonder what the response of Dr.Beeching would be to:

• Channel Tunnel
  • HS1
  • HS2
  • Waverley Line
  • East West Rail
  • Chiltern Line
  • Crossrail
  • Trans-pennine routes
  • Skipton-Colne
  • National electrification programme
  • Sheffield Supertram / Manchester Metrolink / West Midlands Metro / Edinburgh Tram / Croydon Tramlink / Nexus
  • Etc. etc. etc......

Ianno87

Veteran Member
According to a Tweet (https://twitter.com/HarstonVillage/status/1377190601880391680?s=20) by the Harston Residents' Group, a route option consultation will be being launched later today?

Here are the two critical slides for this area of the @eastwestrail consultation which will launch later today. No A428/Cambridge North Station option which @CamBedRailRoad
and @CambApproaches pushed for. And big changes for Harston and its neighbours.

For some reason, they seem to have missed that the northern approach option has already been considered in the last round of consultation.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Corrected for yoh

Quite. If the answer wasn't 'he couldn't care less', I'd wonder what the response of Dr.Beeching would be to:

• Channel Tunnel
  • HS1
  • HS2
  • Waverley Line
  • East West Rail
  • Chiltern Line
  • Crossrail
  • Trans-pennine routes
  • Skipton-Colne
  • Sheffield Supertram / Manchester Metrolink / West Midlands Metro / Edinburgh Tram / Croydon Tramlink / Nexus
  • Etc. etc. etc......

stuu

Established Member

• Channel Tunnel
  • HS1
  • HS2
  • Waverley Line
  • East West Rail
  • Chiltern Line
  • Crossrail
  • Trans-pennine routes
  • Skipton-Colne
  • Etc. etc. etc......
Given he was very supportive of electrification and modernisation, not at all surprised. He wasn't fanatically anti-rail, despite what some people believe.

None of this line nor Okehampton or the Borders line were closed in the Beeching era

jfowkes

According to a Tweet (https://twitter.com/HarstonVillage/status/1377190601880391680?s=20) by the Harston Residents' Group, a route option consultation will be being launched later today?

For some reason, they seem to have missed that the northern approach option has already been considered in the last round of consultation.
Wow, I didn't expect them to include a grade separated option where it joins the Shepreth Branch. I hope that gets approved!

ABB125

Established Member

jfowkes

This is the "next steps" consultation, right? Having picked option E as the broad route, this is to decide on more detailed options within that scope. It's not going to consider a northern approach again, for example.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
This is the "next steps" consultation, right? Having picked option E as the broad route, this is to decide on more detailed options within that scope. It's not going to consider a northern approach again, for example.

Yes, as I understand it; this is taking the Option E preferred corridor from the previous consultation and then developing more detailed options that follow this overall concept, e.g. different junctions at Hauxton, different station locations at Cambourne/St Neots South/Tempsford etc, but still within the same broad corridor.

snowball

Established Member
Surprised nobody has posted the link to the consultation yet:

I suppose I have to post a quote.

We want to hear your views on our developing plans

This consultation covers customer experience, railway operations and a range of infrastructure proposals. We are consulting you while our plans are still at a formative stage.

Consultation closes on 9 June 2021

ABB125

Established Member
This is the link to the actual consultation document: https://eastwestrail-production.s3....lic/EAS060_ConDoc_310321_Digital_MASTER-1.pdf

I've looked for a nice summary of the route options, but can't find one. Here's a map instead: :D

1617201446786.png

Also of note is that you can order printed copies of most of the documentation for free. I much prefer reading physical copies of documents, so I've ordered everything! :D

EDIT: I never realised just how much of a dog-leg approaching Cambridge from the south is; this map makes it clear.

BONUS EDIT(!): I'll make notes as I read it, to post on here a summary of the proposals.

Last edited:

alexx

Surprised nobody has posted the link to the consultation yet:

I suppose I have to post a quote.

Interesting that on the Oxford to Bicester section that they are looking at:
  • Improvements at Oxford, Oxford Parkway and Bicester Village stations to accommodate more trains and more customers
  • Proposals for one or more additional platforms at Oxford station
  • Improvements to the track in the Oxford area to increase capacity for EWR trains to approach Oxford
  • Alternative ways for vehicles and pedestrians to cross the railway at London Road in Bicester to improve safety, to enable a faster, more reliable train service, and to reduce traffic disruption
I'm curious what the station improvements are considering Oxford gained another exit not that long ago, and both Oxford Parkway and Bicester Village are quite long platforms already. Ditto for the track improvements in the Oxford area - changes happened not that long ago.

As for London Road, it's a bit of a mess really - and only being made worse by the barriers failing in the down position quite frequently. Not sure how long had failed for yesterday but Network Rail seemed to be on the scene pretty quickly.

coppercapped

Established Member
Interesting that on the Oxford to Bicester section that they are looking at:
  • Improvements at Oxford, Oxford Parkway and Bicester Village stations to accommodate more trains and more customers
  • Proposals for one or more additional platforms at Oxford station
  • Improvements to the track in the Oxford area to increase capacity for EWR trains to approach Oxford
  • Alternative ways for vehicles and pedestrians to cross the railway at London Road in Bicester to improve safety, to enable a faster, more reliable train service, and to reduce traffic disruption
I'm curious what the station improvements are considering Oxford gained another exit not that long ago, and both Oxford Parkway and Bicester Village are quite long platforms already. Ditto for the track improvements in the Oxford area - changes happened not that long ago.
SNIP
The approaches to Oxford from the Bicester direction were designed to cope with the two trains per hour in each direction Chiltern service. As a result some use is made of the Oxford - Banbury/Hanborough tracks. With the increase in services anticipated for both routes there is a need to segregate the traffic flows - there have been proposals published in the past but I don't have them to hand. However there have been studies done by Network Rail on the route capacity over the whole Oxford - Didcot section some of which was published in Modern Railways a month or so ago. As one of the proposals is to extend, possibly, the Chiltern service south through Oxford to Cowley it may well be that the Chiltern bay platforms will be extended as through roads through the site of the existing station building towards Kennington Junction. The replacement building would be over the lines — a little like the new Reading station — at the Botley Road bridge.

So significant changes are likely at Oxford.

Status
Not open for further replies.