• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East-West Rail (EWR): Oxford-Bletchley construction progress

100andthirty

It is correct that passengers won't be able to get in and out of the High Level station at Bletchley on to Saxon Street?

So, if you are on the platform nearest Saxon Street and want to leave the station you will have to: descend stairs, cross under the flyover, ascend stairs, cross the new bridge, cross the old bridge, descend stairs and finally exit through the existing booking hall?!
Yes, sadly. At every public forum E-W Rail are questioned about this and "not in our scope" is the answer. They were hoping for external funding for an Saxon St entrance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yes, sadly. At every public forum E-W Rail are questioned about this and "not in our scope" is the answer. They were hoping for external funding for an Saxon St entrance.

There is to be fair a fair bit to do to open one, it wouldn't just be a case of opening it. The road access for instance is the access to the Cemex factory for large, heavy lorries.

I think a fair bit of the redevelopment proposal is predicated on that closing and becoming a new main station entrance and car park on that side accessible directly from Saxon St, with housing being built on the existing car park on the other side. But as a regular user I'm a bit unconvinced - almost all the housing is on the current side, so this will be less convenient for almost everyone who presently uses the station and arrives by car. (A pedestrian and cycle entrance would remain on that side I believe).

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The passenger access bridge from the existing station to the new high level platforms is starting to go in at Bletchley
It started a fortnight ago, there’s a photo and discussion starting at #895. Post #899 reported both spans were in place.

zwk500

Veteran Member
It would be handy to have an exit on that side for accessing the stadium, but for a large influx of football fans and gig-goers you may well want them going out the other way anyway as it would be easier to manage.

On the other hand it might annoy our resident Fenny Stratfordian a bit :)
Having an exit on the east side would also be beneficial for transfer to the bus station. Unless that's planned to move in the next few years.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Having an exit on the east side would also be beneficial for transfer to the bus station. Unless that's planned to move in the next few years.

Yes, true, it is a triumph of poor integration, though the 4 now runs via the front of the station which is an improvement, though only in daytime (the timetable in the evening is too tight to do it).

I think the proposals I saw involved moving the buses closer to the roundabout which would mean access wasn't that hard, though, there's the little stairway down to the bridge (poor for accessibility though). The full size bus station isn't really needed, it's underused and has a bit of an ASB problem at times, a few on-street stops would be fine. Its size predates the construction of MK - it was rebuilt about 10 years back but basically the same as it was with a long bus shelter and I think 2 fewer bays. Probably prime for dumping a block of flats on it.

pjanvil

I saw the picture of it being put in place a couple of weeks ago but I was down there yesterday and it wasn't in place so I'm guessing they removed it again for some reason

Amos

I did hear a suggestion that the footbridge to the new high level station would eventually be continued to the bus station. I have no idea how true this is, and suspect that it would depend on who is willing to put their hand in their pocket.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I did hear a suggestion that the footbridge to the new high level station would eventually be continued to the bus station. I have no idea how true this is, and suspect that it would depend on who is willing to put their hand in their pocket.
It’s never been in the railway’s formal plans. There were a couple of discussions suggesting it ought to be, way back in this thread, but it’s pretty clear it’s not funded and not a current feature.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It’s never been in the railway’s formal plans. There were a couple of discussions suggesting it ought to be, way back in this thread, but it’s pretty clear it’s not funded and not a current feature.

I don't recall it featuring in the Council proposals, these were for a more pedestrian friendly public realm (it really doesn't need to be a dual carriageway for the traffic level).

alexx

From the Oxford Mail: Milestone for East West Rail HS2 linking Oxford with Cambridge

An enormous 600 tonne crane lifted the new bridge into position north of Aylesbury.

The bridge deck - which weighs the same as 25 double decker buses - will carry East West Rail services and the controversial high speed rail line which will run between London, Birmingham and the North will run underneath.

East West Rail co-chief executive Beth West said: “Local communities are now one step closer to enjoying the benefits of a new faster, more sustainable and affordable way to travel between all the communities from Oxford to Cambridge – and on across the country.

"East West Rail will connect thousands of people to jobs, families and friends with a reliable and safe service.

"The bridge installation over the Calvert cutting is a really important milestone in bringing EWR to life."

alexx

The content of the Oxford Mail story was reported before Christmas in an HS2 thread but it seems not to have been mentioned in this thread until now.
I feel like the Oxford Mail story is somewhat lacking in accuracy, not to mention the missed opportunity to quote the length in football pitches to go with the "weighs as much as 25 double decker buses" (which I thought was usually a height reference, but...)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I feel like the Oxford Mail story is somewhat lacking in accuracy, not to mention the missed opportunity to quote the length in football pitches to go with the "weighs as much as 25 double decker buses" (which I thought was usually a height reference, but...)
But they must surely get bonus points for “controversial” high speed line? :rolleyes:

Trainee9

I saw the picture of it being put in place a couple of weeks ago but I was down there yesterday and it wasn't in place so I'm guessing they removed it again for some reason
Does anyone know what is going on with the footbridge to the Bletchley high level station? I also saw pictures of an assembled bridge, but a more recent post on the RM forum shows just one bridge section in place.
From a bus going around the nearby Saxon St/Buckingham Rd roundabout, I glimpsed some 'hoops' like those on the top of the footbridge sections, but could not make out from the very restricted view where they were positioned. Whatever it was appeared to be parallel to the viaduct.

Amos

Does anyone know what is going on with the footbridge to the Bletchley high level station? I also saw pictures of an assembled bridge, but a more recent post on the RM forum shows just one bridge section in place.
From a bus going around the nearby Saxon St/Buckingham Rd roundabout, I glimpsed some 'hoops' like those on the top of the footbridge sections, but could not make out from the very restricted view where they were positioned. Whatever it was appeared to be parallel to the viaduct.
Only one section of the new footbridge is in place,from the new high level station across the Cemex depot.Further sections have been taken off lorries and are stored on an access road down the side of the viaduct. I have no idea when the next sections will be placed, but I am down there quite regularly and will keep an eye out.

Neen Sollars

Only one section of the new footbridge is in place,from the new high level station across the Cemex depot.Further sections have been taken off lorries and are stored on an access road down the side of the viaduct. I have no idea when the next sections will be placed, but I am down there quite regularly and will keep an eye out.
All about priorities I guess. There is no rush to install the bridge because it will not be used for a couple of years. Is there any suggestion that HS2 at Calvert is behind schedule and may delay the opening of EWR Bicester to Bletchley?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
All about priorities I guess. There is no rush to install the bridge because it will not be used for a couple of years. Is there any suggestion that HS2 at Calvert is behind schedule and may delay the opening of EWR Bicester to Bletchley?
Not AFAICT. With the EWR bridge deck over HS2 in place before Christmas I think construction of the higher EWR embankment in the vicinity of HS2 will be imminent.

I think the footbridge progress is slightly puzzling as it has previously been reported as being installed.

Neen Sollars

Recent walk around Bletchley HL on You Tube by AP, (thanks AP). You can start 1 m 30 secs, and there is a sound mute facility if you wish. This video gives a good perspective/indication of how you could access the HL station (and indeed the LL) from this side of town. Footpath up the left hand side of the drive, and perhaps steps closer to the traffic island leading to a pedestrian crossing with the footpath into the station closest to the abutments. Not the most salubrious of settings though. The stored over bridge is visible.

Thanks to Aerial Musing on You Tube. Super drone footage of Compound B5 near Newton Longville off Whaddon Road. Drone looks first looks east towards Calvert, then west towards Bicester.

Last edited:

Dr A.Johnston

Another short update from Aerial Musings on YouTube re Bletchley High level station

A whisper suggests tracks through Winslow by 18th Feb not withstanding any strike action.

jfowkes

A whisper suggests tracks through Winslow by 18th Feb not withstanding any strike action.
Is it likely that strike action would affect?

Not knowing anything, I would have guessed that new construction (as opposed to operations and maintenance) would be mostly or entirely outside the scope of strikes.

Neen Sollars

Another short update from Aerial Musings on YouTube re Bletchley High level station

Super video thanks for posting. Is the HL Station pedestrian access from the road crossing being constructed by the orange men? The aggregates plant is very busy. A couple of laid up Class 230`s seen in the background around the Marston Vale line curve.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Super video thanks for posting. Is the HL Station pedestrian access from the road crossing being constructed by the orange men? The aggregates plant is very busy. A couple of laid up Class 230`s seen in the background around the Marston Vale line curve.
There is no road level access. The only normal access is via the footbridge. The doors visible are for fire escape only. I attached a TWA drawing extract in post #273.

Last edited:

AlbertBeale

Established Member
There is no road level access. The only normal access is via the footbridge. The doors visible are for fire escape only. I attached a TWA drawing extract in post #273.

Is there currently no way at all of accessing Bletchley station other than from the west of the low-level part? Is there any way from east of the low-level (albeit still west of the new high-level platforms)?

12LDA28C

Established Member
Is there currently no way at all of accessing Bletchley station other than from the west of the low-level part? Is there any way from east of the low-level (albeit still west of the new high-level platforms)?

The station entrance is on the west side and has been for as long as I can remember (40 years or so). I believe there is, or certainly was a private industrial aggregates facility on the east side which runs the full length of the station.

You could access the station via the walking route from Bletchley Depot but I suspect that's not what you meant.