• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East-West Rail (EWR): Oxford-Bletchley construction progress

12LDA28C

Established Member
Six class 196 units were included in the WMR order for use on EWR and those units are in the process of being introduced into service and bedded-in on WMR routes.
Drivers have been recruited and are in training.
The line will be signed off for route learning some time this year.
Work to increase capacity at Oxford station so that trains can reverse at Hinksey (rather than reversing in the bay platforms) if required is in progress. This will also help with the planned extension to Cowley if that goes ahead.

All this coming together over the next few months, so I would say that this is fairly good long term planning.

Except of course that passenger services should have commenced a month ago in line with the original plan so clearly planning and reality are two different things...

The risk then is of course that there is an unexpected last minute delay in finishing off the civil engineering and you’ve got trained drivers and “millions of pounds worth of new trains sitting doing nothing” for 12 months and, in the case of the drivers possibly jumping ship through boredom.

Then those drivers would be kept occupied driving existing routes, they wouldn't be sat around doing nothing.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

vuzzeho

Slightly off-topic question - when the 230s stopped running, why didn't LNWR extend the platforms on the Marston Vale line to take 196s, so they could run on that line while waiting for EWR to run? Then, the 196s would have experience in Bletchley, and driver training would've been done.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Slightly off-topic question - when the 230s stopped running, why didn't LNWR extend the platforms on the Marston Vale line to take 196s, so they could run on that line while waiting for EWR to run? Then, the 196s would have experience in Bletchley, and driver training would've been done.
It isn’t in LNWR’s remit to extend any platforms. The EWR project would have done that work IF the Bletchley to Bedford part of their overall project had ever been given the funding. At the time the TWA order was approved DfT were still wittering on about a separate mini-TOC to run EWR, the decision for Chiltern to run it was yet to be made. As it is the TWA order included a number of ‘non track’ infrastructure changes between Bletchley and Bedford, including certain platform lengthening, level crossing closures, new bridges etc etc, but nothing has ever started.

Elecman

Established Member
Not upto LNWR ( think you mean WMT) but Network Rail/EWR but no agreed funding from DFT/Treasury

DavidGrain

Established Member
The 196s were not available when then the 230s had to be withdrawn because of lack of maintenance capability. The 153s which had previously operated the line were no longer available as they had gone to TfW. Also remember that Marston Vale is a diesel operated line whereas Bletchley is an electric train depot. I don't know if the operator has had to revert to sending the current stock to Tyseley for servicing.
Chiltern drivers will operate the 196s not LNR drivers so driver training will still be necessary.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Also remember that Marston Vale is a diesel operated line whereas Bletchley is an electric train depot.

Not sure what you mean by this - Bletchley has always been responsible for maintaining the DMUs used on the Marston Vale line, so it's not just an 'electric train depot' by any means.

Chiltern drivers will operate the 196s not LNR drivers so driver training will still be necessary.

Whether Chiltern is the preferred operator for the Bletchley-Bedford section of EWR remains to be seen.

JamesT

Established Member

12LDA28C

Established Member
Comments on threads about the Marston Vale line previously suggested that the Class 150/153 units were maintained at the Tyseley depot in Birmingham. E.g. https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...-running-19-02-24.242143/page-19#post-6333588

Light maintenance was done at Bletchley which has been the case with DMUs at least since the days of maintaining first generation units on the MV as well as the Class 115s on the Chilterns. Bletchley even used to do light maintenance on diesel locos in the 1980s.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Except of course that passenger services should have commenced a month ago in line with the original plan so clearly planning and reality are two different things...
Indeed best part of one billion pounds has been spent on the current phase according to last years NAO report so you would expect the DfT ready to make use of the assets as soon as possible. Given they want another 12mths they might as well have wired it up at the same time.

vuzzeho

The 196s were not available when then the 230s had to be withdrawn because of lack of maintenance capability. The 153s which had previously operated the line were no longer available as they had gone to TfW. Also remember that Marston Vale is a diesel operated line whereas Bletchley is an electric train depot. I don't know if the operator has had to revert to sending the current stock to Tyseley for servicing.
Do the 196s have SDO? If the platforms are too short, then they could be moved there now and SDO used for the platforms that are too short. (this is all based off the fact that Chiltern hasn't been officially selected yet, and that Bletchley also maintains diesel 150s)

jfowkes

Indeed best part of one billion pounds has been spent on the current phase according to last years NAO report so you would expect the DfT ready to make use of the assets as soon as possible. Given they want another 12mths they might as well have wired it up at the same time.
Is wiring it possible in that timeframe? My understanding was that the passive provision for OLE was as minimal as possible. And I doubt any design work has been done...

12LDA28C

Established Member

Given that who wants another 12 months? The DfT?

Do the 196s have SDO? If the platforms are too short, then they could be moved there now and SDO used for the platforms that are too short. (this is all based off the fact that Chiltern hasn't been officially selected yet, and that Bletchley also maintains diesel 150s)

It's been well documented and discussed on here why longer trains such as 196s can't be used on the current MV infrastructure, and not just because the platforms can't accommodate them. A small matter of various level crossings and/or protecting signals being fouled for a start...

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Is wiring it possible in that timeframe? My understanding was that the passive provision for OLE was as minimal as possible. And I doubt any design work has been done...
Probably not but if there not using the line saves all the aggravation in the future - wishful thinking i know.

Nottingham59

Established Member
With just 100km round trip off the wires, the MKC - OXF route is perfect for Battery EMUs with a diesel range extender for emergency use.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Passive provision is by definition minimal! (Passive provision means not doing things that would make it harder in future, as opposed to the slightly more active 'for but not with' provision where early work is actively done).

AIUI Any bridges that needed to be rebuilt for EWR's spec (e.g. W12) were rebuilt for electrification clearances, but bridges that were clear for the spec were left even if not clear for OLE. I don't know for certain but imagine the signalling is all OLE compatible as that's now standard practice.
Probably not but if there not using the line saves all the aggravation in the future - wishful thinking i know.
Do you think a line is electrified by somebody who just turns up on a Tuesday morning? Number 1 question would be where the power is coming from - the WCML isn't exactly underused and I expect HS2's feeder station isn't anywhere near ready either.

It's frustrating that some of the bridges weren't done (aiui the number requiring work still is small) but actual electrification makes much more sense to wait until it can be fed either from Oxford & Bletchley simultaneously or from the HS2 feeder directly.

Last edited:

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Do you think a line is electrified by somebody who just turns up on a Tuesday morning? Number 1 question would be where the power is coming from - the WCML isn't exactly underused and I expect HS2's feeder station isn't anywhere near ready either.

It's frustrating that some of the bridges weren't done (aiui the number requiring work still is small) but actual electrification makes much more sense to wait until it can be fed either from Oxford & Bletchley simultaneously or from the HS2 feeder directly.
Of course its not going to happen for reasons you rightly cite so was being purely speculative in that 12mths they could have wired it up had they planned the job properly in the first place.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Another reminder that posts in this thread should be confined to East West Rail Construction Progress

An alternative thread for speculation surrounding the scheme can be found here:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
No. Initial service I believe is only planned to be hourly anyway.
It’s shown as half hourly in the approved track access application (TAA) though, which presumably, (bit of a stretch I know), means capacity exists for 2 tph?

You and I discussed this back in April, posts #1603/1604 etc, but other members may not have seen the linked TAA.