• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East West Rail project [to be] examined by Transport Committee [on March 6th 2024 from 09:30]

Thank you for pointing out what "mean" is. But I already know what mean (average), median and mode are. Afterall, I did leave school educated to O' Level standard :D
Although the definition given is incorrect - the mid point is the median. Which is likely, in this case, to be lower than the mean which will be skewed upwards by the most expensive properties.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Steve Harris

Although the definition given is incorrect - the mid point is the median. Which is likely, in this case, to be lower than the mean which will be skewed upwards by the most expensive properties.
Indeed. I was going to point this out, but I couldn't be bothered. I'm glad I'm not the only one who knows the difference between mean and median though.

fishwomp

Indeed. I was going to point this out, but I couldn't be bothered. I'm glad I'm not the only one who knows the difference between mean and median though.
I think we can all agree: we just don't care!

So, can we stop talking about house prices and start talking about railways.

Anyone looking for a non-rail mathematics channel can ask the mods to create one... But I know I will not read it.

Steve Harris

I think we can all agree: we just don't care!

So, can we stop talking about house prices and start talking about railways.

Anyone looking for a non-rail mathematics channel can ask the mods to create one... But I know I will not read it.
No one is forcing you to read posts.. If you like it or not housing has had a link with railways for over a century now. And one of the aims of EWR is to unlock housing growth outside Cambridge !!

So housing is applicable to most (but not all) EWR threads if you like it or not !

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It might be good to cool the temperature down in this thread a little if possible?

Thanks ;)

DaveN

East West Rail have published a press release about the reaction to the funding announced in the budget. This is at https://eastwestrail-production.s3....dget-2024-EWR-Announcement-V02-AH-edits-4.pdf

Business leaders welcome plans to fast-track East West Rail’s Bedford to Oxford service
• Construction work on the Marston Vale line between Bedford and Bletchley will be brought forward, enabling services to Oxford to begin in 2030
• Level crossing works, track and signalling upgrades, plus safety and accessibility improvements brought forward on MVL, supported by £240m from existing funding
• Fast-track news comes as final track laid on first EWR stage between Bicester and Bletchley

Business leaders have hailed the news that works on the Bletchley to Bedford section - the Marston Vale Line (MVL) – of East West Rail will be bought forward. The Government reaffirmed its commitment to delivering EWR in full in the 2024 Spring Budget by announcing that £240m in existing funding would be made available to fast-track works on the MVL. These works will enable passenger services between Oxford to Bedford (EWR Phase 2) to start by the end of the decade as a supplement to services on the first phase of the project between Oxford and Milton Keynes/Bletchley, which are due to start next year.

It later says
The accelerated works will bring forward level crossing works, track and signalling upgrades, as well as safety and accessibility improvements to allow a one train per hour service between Bletchley and Bedford.

Presumably they mean between Oxford and Bedford.

So this looks like they going back to the original plan of doing the Marston Vale Line improvements before work starts on the Bedford Station area works.

Andyjs247

I’m not sure I would describe these as ‘accelerated’ works. At one stage it was EWR going to be open in 2017 then it was pushed back to 2019.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I hesitate to get involved with this but some things need challenging

Bedford is not a cheap place to live, it is far too close to Milton Keynes and commutable to London.
it is cheaper than MK!

Part of the E-W plan is to facilitate much more house building in the area and especially along the Marston Vale line. it has a chance to help improve Bedford and help development and enhancement by making it a better place to live.

As you say Cambridge is REALLY expensive. With good transport links via E-W Bedford can become an attractive place to live in the way it isn't now.,

The only shortcomings for me are no East-north curve on EWR anywhere,
Where would the curve go and for what purpose?
I am also concerned about the parking at Bedford,
Just double or triple deck the car park. it has been done elsewhere.
Looking at just two websites - Here and Here most of those are above half a million. I drive past houses like these everyday. They are not for locals. Even if you go to the showrooms they tell you its for commuters to London. If homes along the line are built, I fear that they will fall into the higher price categories. Northamptonshire is where properties start falling. The scary thing is, they all sell out at those prices. Who buys them? who knows?
Who is buying them? Normal people with relatively normal jobs. Those people will be "locals" if not local enough for you. I am unsure how you define "local" but I hope we don't have to go all league of gentlemen here!

These look like standard green field expansion houses built with professional people in mind. it is the same all over the country.

BTW If I bought one of those houses would I be local enough? I would be moving 20 miles.

track for 20mph operation and that continues through the depot.
it is 20mph because it is on a really ( and I mean REALLY) tight curve for a railway - the ricketiness or otherwise of the track is immaterial!
My house is a terraced 1962 build and neighbouring homes are going for 230k and up. Brand new homes have no gardens, bedrooms on middle and upper floors and lucky to have a driveway.
Mine is a 2 bed Victorian terrace worth at perhaps £275k. it has a small rear garden and faces straight onto the street and no parking.

The availability of affordable homes is a massive issue but not really pertinent to this debate - This area is prime commuter country and will always create a premium on house prices. At "home" in the north east my house ( a 2 bed victorian terrace remember ) is £60k. My old house just sold for less than that. I rented that house so must have paid for most of it! You can also pick up the same houses in the more grotty part of town for £40k and ones that need a refurb in those areas from about £35k

EWR hear other ideas and objections but act like anything left or right of said needle eye is impossible. People who act like that have zero sensitivity to the folk living In that area.
What do you expect them to do?
I live in Bedford I am not a forum user that sits 300 miles away that knows what is best for Bedford. From all the info at hand, the powers that be are listening to outsiders and muting the people in the affected areas.
Being a "local" doesn't give you any extra credence or weight in any consultation. I have been to local consultations on this project where I have told the representatives very firmly how stupid I think thier idea to close ( sorry merge) my station is.

What will they take from the session: Local community are unhappy with the proposal to close the station.

Again, what SHOULD be happening? I don't understand what you expect or suggest in this regard.

Last edited:

Nicholas43

East West Rail have published a press release about the reaction to the funding announced in the budget.
It doesn't inspire confidence that this press release is so badly written. 'The end of the decade' could mean 10 years from now, i.e. 2034; or the end of the decade 2030 to 2039. And they say nothing about how long the line will be closed while they are doing this leisurely upgrade. And they can't even explain clearly the proposed service when the upgrade is finished: we are left to guess 1 tph Bedford to Oxford, not told what stops these make (if any) between Bedford and Bletchley, not told whether they will do a hop to Milton Keynes Central, and not told whether this 1 tph will be the only service Bedford to Bletchley.

Last edited:

DaveN

It doesn't inspire confidence that this press release is so badly written. 'The end of the decade' could mean 10 years from now, i.e. 2034; or the end of the decade 2030 to 2039. And they say nothing about how long the line will be closed while they are doing this leisurely upgrade. And they can't even explain clearly the proposed service when the upgrade is finished: we are left to guess 1 tph Bedford to Oxford, not told what stops these make (if any) between Bedford and Bletchley, not told whether they will do a hop to Milton Keynes Central, and not told whether this 1 tph will be the only service Bedford to Bletchley.
I agree. There's also a new page on their website at https://eastwestrail.co.uk/news/lat...celerated-as-part-of-spring-budget-investment

Oxford to Bedford services accelerated as part of Spring Budget investment​

Following the final piece of track-laying on stage one of East West Rail, we’re delighted that work on the Marston Vale Line (MVL) between Bletchley and Bedford will be brought forward, enabling services between Oxford and Bedford to begin by 2030.

But it still isn't clear if 1tph Oxford to Bedford will be the only service between Bletchley and Bedford.

It also presumably means that they aren't expecting the rebuild of Bedford Station to start until 2032 at the earliest (that would means 2 years of running this service before it has to stop whilst the approaches to Bedford are updated - they'd look pretty silly if it was less than that).

Magdalia

Established Member
Thanks for this link. I then strayed into looking at some of the other "latest stories" and found this from 6 February.

Preparing for DCO (Development Consent Order)​

We’re continuing to develop our proposals, having carefully reviewed feedback from various sources such as the two non-statutory consultations, Local Representatives Groups, and community drop-in events. To further improve the development of EWR, we’ll be launching in the first half of this year, the first stage of our two-stage statutory consultation on the proposals for EWR.

It also includes a link to a DCO fact sheet which sets out the process.

a good off

If the line makes it through to Cambridge then I think a Denbigh Hall to Fenny Stratford chord is a no brainer, especially when DIRFT and Northampton Gateway are sending stuff to Felixstowe.

While we’re there, provide a south chord at Ely (creating a triangle) enabling trains from the Cambridge direction to gain the Soham, and double the Soham at same time. This would avoid Newmarket Tunnel and also allow the Newmarket line to remain single just for passenger traffic.

And electrify the whole bloomin lot from Didcot North Jn through to Ipswich too, including my Denbigh Hall chord!!

Last edited: