• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Yorkshire Motor Services, now part of Go-Ahead

Eyersey468

Established Member
I do wish East Yorkshire could come up with something more original for non-EastRider services, the ‘Locals’ brand is starting to feel a tad bit overused.

Even if condensed down into a standard template now, Go North East is still keeping unique names and coloured brands like ‘Tyne Valley Ten’, ‘Country Ranger’, ‘Gold Arrow’ and ‘The Angel’ still kicking about; all we have are ’Locals’ and ‘EastRider’, the brilliant if blandly-named ‘East Yorkshire Coaster’ and whatever the hell Route 66 is now.

I get the idea of “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” and not blowing money on branding for every route, but I’d hoped we’d get a fancy 56/57 livery on takeover in 2018. Frankly, I’m now expecting ‘Hull Locals’ within the year!
Don't put the idea in their heads

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Andyh82

Established Member
Considering how traditional EYMS was before the Go Ahead takeover I would have thought ‘locals’ was a fairly radical brand for this area

If they had won the York 12 a few years back it would have been branded ‘East Yorkshire service 12’

peri

Hullian111 said:

I do wish East Yorkshire could come up with something more original for non-EastRider services, the ‘Locals’ brand is starting to feel a tad bit overused.

Even if condensed down into a standard template now, Go North East is still keeping unique names and coloured brands like ‘Tyne Valley Ten’, ‘Country Ranger’, ‘Gold Arrow’ and ‘The Angel’ still kicking about; all we have are ’Locals’ and ‘EastRider’, the brilliant if blandly-named ‘East Yorkshire Coaster’ and whatever the hell Route 66 is now.

I get the idea of “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” and not blowing money on branding for every route, but I’d hoped we’d get a fancy 56/57 livery on takeover in 2018. Frankly, I’m now expecting ‘Hull Locals’ within the year!

Surely they couldn't resist 'Lercals'!

Hullian111

Considering how traditional EYMS was before the Go Ahead takeover I would have thought ‘locals’ was a fairly radical brand for this area

If they had won the York 12 a few years back it would have been branded ‘East Yorkshire service 12’
Damn, you raise a good point.

Maybe I'm thinking with rose-tinted glasses about buses never spotted, but I still remember how stand-out the 103-105 brand was. At least in the case of the fairly minimal 45 and 46, the design differed significantly from the X46? But maybe a return to 'York City & District' with the old livery would've been interesting to see.
Don't put the idea in their heads
Unfortunately, they have precedent.

Eyersey468

Established Member
Unfortunately, they have precedent.
To be fair regarding Hull and District,H&D was one of the companies that EY was formed out of in 1926 so it wasn't new branding. As an aside as far as I know to this day EY still have the rights to the Hull and District, Lee and Beulah etc names.

BoroAndy

I wonder how long it will be until the remainder of the fleet have been reliveried. I think there are 4 double deckers still in Scarborough and are looking very aged on the road compared to the rest.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eyersey468

Established Member
I wonder how long it will be until the remainder of the fleet have been reliveried. I think there are 4 double deckers still in Scarborough and are looking very aged on the road compared to the rest.
I would think by the end of the summer we will be about there in terms of painting. 810 is out of body shop, there is another Gemini in body shop though I'm unsure which one

Hullian111

Well, I photographed Scarborough’s (allegedly, it likes to get moved around) 757 on Tuesday for the first time since 2020, and its still in the exaxt state it was left in - old livery, Scarborough Locals stickers slapped onto EYMS fleetnames.

Given how the four Scarborough YX08 FX* Geminis entering Hull service for a bit after repaint, I speculate 757 may be finally here, after a year away from Hull, for its repaint into Scarborough Locals livery it has been waiting for for three years now?

Or, well, once again, its covering for a missing vehicle, or something else some young enthusiast who doesn’t work for the company wouldn’t know about. Strange how 757, though, has reappeared at roughly the same time ex-London E200s 284 and 285 have come in to Hull from Scarborough.

Eyersey468

Established Member
Well, I photographed Scarborough’s (allegedly, it likes to get moved around) 757 on Tuesday for the first time since 2020, and its still in the exaxt state it was left in - old livery, Scarborough Locals stickers slapped onto EYMS fleetnames.

Given how the four Scarborough YX08 FX* Geminis entering Hull service for a bit after repaint, I speculate 757 may be finally here, after a year away from Hull, for its repaint into Scarborough Locals livery it has been waiting for for three years now?

Or, well, once again, its covering for a missing vehicle, or something else some young enthusiast who doesn’t work for the company wouldn’t know about. Strange how 757, though, has reappeared at roughly the same time ex-London E200s 284 and 285 have come in to Hull from Scarborough.
757 can't be far off a repaint, there aren't many buses left in the old livery now. By the end of the summer we should be about there in terms of painting into the new livery

Eyersey468

Established Member
Bustimes suggests it was out on Wyke College services this morning, but if this is true, called it! No wonder Scarborough 763 is down in Hull too, then.
The body men had only just started working on 757 when I saw it earlier so it's quite possible it did a Wyke service this morning

Seehof

East Yorkshire are doing very well since they took over the 12s in York. A good regular hourly service with very good loads and smart buses. Well done to them!

RM-Taylor

Following the post above with the news 758 is now in the body shop before repaint.

As it stands there are two B7s in old livery (698 and 710) - these won’t be repainted as they will be sold/transferred/scrapped/converted

10 B9s in old livery (714, 738, 759, 763, 766, 767, 772, 773, 774 and 775) - these will all get standard livery, along with 756 when the short-term full body advert contract expires

4 EvoSetti's in old livery (808, 811, 813 and 815) - 808 will go in to EastRider, the other three will go in to standard livery

317 forever

Established Member
Have many East Yorkshire buses been refurbished by Go-Ahead? I know of the Volvo B9TLs on routes 12/12 (Bridlington - Scarborough) at least.

Eyersey468

Established Member
Have many East Yorkshire buses been refurbished by Go-Ahead? I know of the Volvo B9TLs on routes 12/12 (Bridlington - Scarborough) at least.
There were the 8 Gemini 2s for Coaster, the 6 Centros, the 6 Evosetis at Withernsea, not sure if you can count 276-83 as they were refurbished before entering service, also unsure if 394 counts as that had to be refurbished after a bad accident with a tractor. I'm sure 889-96 got refurbished on purchase as well.

Hullian111

Speculation abounds - Withernsea depot could potentially be next to close:
Petition to save Withernsea’s bus garage - The Holderness Gazette
Beverley and Holderness MP Graham Stuart and South East Holderness ward councillors Claire Holmes, Sean McMaster and Lyn Healing are working together to save the East Yorkshire garage in Bannister Street following a fire in the building next door two months ago.

Ben Gilligan, managing director of East Yorkshire Buses, met Mr Stuart and the councillors and said a decision had not yet been made, but that he was mindful of the impact a prospective closure would have on the town.

Withernsea is an important part of East Yorkshire’s operations, with the X7 and the 75 two of the most used routes on the network.

Mr Gilligan said he was eager to stress that East Yorkshire’s preferred option was to keep the depot open, either as a depot or a bus park, neither of which would see services or jobs affected.

[...]

The future of the bus depot, which employs 30 people, has been subject to rumours since a fatal fire occurred at the property next to East Yorkshire’s travel office.
I've been hearing the rumours myself, and given how the upstairs of the travel office (the cream terraced house in this article) was seriously destroyed in the fire too, I strongly suspect it can't be run in its current state. Suppose we'll just have to wait and see what the company will do with it.

Eyersey468

Established Member
Speculation abounds - Withernsea depot could potentially be next to close:
Petition to save Withernsea’s bus garage - The Holderness Gazette

I've been hearing the rumours myself, and given how the upstairs of the travel office (the cream terraced house in this article) was seriously destroyed in the fire too, I strongly suspect it can't be run in its current state. Suppose we'll just have to wait and see what the company will do with it.
I asked one of the supervisors if there was any truth in the rumours, the reply I got was no comment......

Make of that what you will.

RM-Taylor

Any idea what is happening with 814? It’s been parked at the back of the railway car park for almost 2 months now

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Sounds like disappointing news from Hull

Proposals showing how Hull’s bus lanes would operate under peak time only operation have been published in a decision record today.

The plans are a response to Hull City Council’s transport survey carried out in summer 2022, when around 65 per cent of residents who responded were in favour of the restrictions returning.

Today’s decision means that the formal, statutory consultation on the detailed drawings can now begin.

Cllr Mike Ross, leader of Hull City Council, said: “The council has listened to the views of residents and we are pleased to be moving on with the next stage of the process.”

Residents, businesses and other stakeholders will have the opportunity to comment on the proposals later this month via an online survey and a series of stakeholder meetings and public events.

I assume they were 24 hour bus lanes but will now, it is proposed, move to partial operation

Eyersey468

Established Member
Sounds like disappointing news from Hull

I assume they were 24 hour bus lanes but will now, it is proposed, move to partial operation
No they weren't 24 hour, the hours of operation are currently 7am to 6.30pm Monday to Saturday

3RDGEN

The Lid Dem council were elected on this policy in May 2022 and gained in the recent 2023 local elections so it's what the Hull electorate wanted, as per the 65% who responded in favour of the survey.

EYMS have cut the services by around 40% so can't expect to keep their own road lane for most of the day.

Eyersey468

Established Member
The Lid Dem council were elected on this policy in May 2022 and gained in the recent 2023 local elections so it's what the Hull electorate wanted, as per the 65% who responded in favour of the survey.

EYMS have cut the services by around 40% so can't expect to keep their own road lane for most of the day.
Where does the figure of 40% come from? I was told by a senior member of management we are running about 80% of pre Covid mileage