• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eastleigh intermodel freightliner position

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pass9

Hi, just after some tips and advice if I get selected for interview for the IM freight position at eastleigh.
I'm with a toc at the moment (swr) , and I know FOC is not as secure as TOC but its what I want to do.
Whats the salary? Is there overtime if you want it? How long would traction and routes take?
Any information or contact details for managers at eastleigh would be hugely appreciated.
Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PickleTree

Are you an already qualified driver? I had a DMI for a FL trainee driver position at Eastleigh on Tuesday that was initially for intermodal, however I was advised during the interview that the need for drivers with FL at Eastleigh is on the HH side with the Mendip contract and not on the intermodal side.

Pass9

Are you an already qualified driver? I had a DMI for a FL trainee driver position at Eastleigh on Tuesday that was initially for intermodal, however I was advised during the interview that the need for drivers with FL at Eastleigh is on the HH side with the Mendip contract and not on the intermodal side.
Yes fully qualified, I've only just applied.
Whats the best one? HH or IM? I dont mind nights weekend etc, or overtime

Sorry what's DMI?

Regan

Hi pass9 salary £50,750 we have a 2% pay rise in january you will do 150hrs handling maybe less i haven't had a flat month since I started at Birmingham over 2 years ago if I was you go for the intermodal side not sure what the o/t is like at Eastleigh.

Pass9

Hi pass9 salary £50,750 we have a 2% pay rise in january you will do 150hrs handling maybe less i haven't had a flat month since I started at Birmingham over 2 years ago if I was you go for the intermodal side not sure what the o/t is like at Eastleigh.
Thank you for the info. Is anyone on here based at Eastleigh?

Crazyb

Sorry what's DMI?
I was never at Eastleigh, and left Intermodal some years ago. I'm not sure if it's one link there now, but they went to Brum, Stonebridge Park...I'm not sure if they go Bristol.

I think there are 2 depots....One at Eastleigh and one on the station....I'm not sure, but it was mentioned one depot was better than the other....Something to confirm with an Intermodal driver.

Traction is 66, 70 and I'm not sure if they have the jockey on the pilot or they use a 66 to shunt. I can't remember if 66's were 2 weeks for newbies, and 70's a week.

Years ago they used to lodge with us at Crewe and Leeds, but I don't think they do now.

I was at Intermodal from day one when the company kicked off. A few years later HH came on the scene, I think 5k higher but can't remember.

We wanted to keep our conditions, where's HH really didn't have any, hence we were the poorer drivers.

Years ago HH men used to earn millions, but under the current climate with the loss of work, I wouldn't know what they earn now, in respects of OT

Freightliner Intermodal is pretty much steady with OT, pending depot. I never had a flat pay there.

Intermodal is defo the better. If it wasn't, I would have moved to HH, but I like to know what I'm doing work wise, not at the last minute.

Like the guy said above, you can make your money up, pending the depot. You can get all sorts of payments, like moving off roster to cover another job, if your job was modded and if longer, you would get double time, plus a extra hour.

Intermodal will have time tabled work through out the year, so you will know what your doing

HH work did have bands, so you would only know if your working am, pm or nights.....Not sure if true, but am's started at 00:01, something to ask.

Look at the pension and see if you would go into a different pension scheme, or you would be in the one which all drivers are in. I think you will be, but you need to ask. Soon after I left, something kicked off with pensions and they had a vote on it...So double check.

I think Freightliner pension is in deficit, so something to also check.

You will lose your travel and any concessions you have.

Something to consider when moving to a FOC.....I dont want to put you off...lol

There was a guy at Basingstoke SWR depot that moved to Eastleigh....I don't want to mention his name on a open forum or through private message, but also his partner was on SWT, so maybe a ask if you don't get a proper response on here. I bumped into him at Paddington about 6 months ago, and he still enjoys Intermodal.

If you work on SWT, someone will know of him or her.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.