• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eatery suggestions and reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

richw

Veteran Member
We seemingly have discussed accommodation in great detail, but the other important part of a trip to me at least is somewhere decent for breakfast/lunch or dinner.

As part of my trip this weekend could anyone recommend me a decent place for a breakfast near London Victoria?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
No suggestions for Victoria, apart from Burger King and Bread Box on the station.

Good idea for a thread here, I'm going to post a local couple:

The Glass Tandoori, Commerical Road, Hereford

As the name suggests, it's an Indian restaurant. One of the only (if not the only one) place in the country where you can look through the glass and watch them cooking the food. I've been 3 times and love the food, which is reasonably priced, with a decent selection of drinks which are priced fairly well too. The waiters and waitresses are brilliant and friendly too, and should you wish you can have takeaway too. I've not done a takeaway order yet, so can't comment on that side of it. They also do British food as well. Highly recommended place!

The Beefy Boys, Old Market, Hereford

Another favourite in Hereford, where I've been twice so far (would have been 3 but the other occasion the wait was way too long to fit our timescales) and as the name suggests it's a burger place. All locally sourced beef, and these burgers are amazing. As are the bacon fries! It's not cheap food (same for the drinks!), but the quality is amazing and therefore worth every penny! Really good and friendly staff, and even when it's busy the wait for food is very reasonable. It opened in December 2015 I believe, or was it November, and it's been very popular ever since. The wait for a table can be a bit heavy, especially at the weekend, but fair games to them they can turn tables over quick. They also do takeaway, again I haven't yet tried that but I will soon. Highly recommended place, I can't wait to go again!

Anyone needing advice on directions from the station (either rail or bus) in Hereford, do feel free to PM me in advance and I'll detail them. Beefy Boys is within a 10 minute walk, Glass Tandoori about 7 minutes from the rail station.

I believe Blindtraveller will be here soon to do a review on a local takeaway to him, I don't have the details but it was a good place.

I don't tend to do non-fast food places on a trip, so don't expect a lot of input from me on this thread. However I'll make sure to note anything useful!

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Edinburgh: Lots of pubs, restaurants etc but a long time fave has been the restaurant in BHS on Princes Street.

Carlisle: The Griphin, Court Square. 1 minute from station, good pub grub. La Pergola, Castle Street, italian with Takeaway offered, authentic qualitty food.

Aberdeen: Sizzlers on Guild Street, eat in or take away, on Just Eat too, open long hours and fantastic breakfast.

Inverness: Café on the Bus Station takes a lot of beating

Keighley: ASDA Café 2 mins from train and bus stations

Blackburn: Tesco Café 2 mins from station

Mallaig: not cheep but great chippy 30 secs from Platform
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Any chance of this being stickied?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I forgot The Griffin in Carlisle, yes an excellent place for food indeed! Literally, as Blindtraveller says, a 1 minute's walk from the station and does excellent home cooked food. Very reasonably priced too!

urpert

Essendine or between Étaples and Rang-du-Fliers
The best coffee at Victoria (both espresso and filter) is from Knot Pretzels next to P7. They have a branch on the bridge at Clapham Jn too.

FCB at Denmark Hill is top class for both coffee and bakery things.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
And if you're in SET land, Fee & Brown is a superb cafe about 1.5 minutes walk from Beckenham Junction.

richw

Veteran Member
We had breakfast this morning in Eds diner in the upper floor of the Victoria station shopping complex, which I enjoyed thoroughly.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I may as well sling this one in here in case anyone wants a really cheap meal in Brum for lunch.

Meal Deal - Very close to Birmingham New Street and it truly is a meal deal. £1.74 for a baguette (with a filling), fries and a drink or the same with a Panini or Baked Potato for £1.99. Service is very quick and I recommend it.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Agreed on Meal Deal, Birmingham. If one needs directions, ask me or Fishquinn. Dead easy to find when you know the route, only a 2 minute walk from New Street (tram stop side)!

I haven't yet looked at the other thread, perhaps they should be merged now? This sector of the forum is proving very popular these days, a good chance an eateries thread will get well used. More so if maintained like the Frequently Requested Diagrams thread!

Condor7

I can highly recommend Mrs Millers café at Culgaith on the Settle & Carlisle line, literally right next to the line by a level crossing. If that was not good enough the food is fantastic, all home cooked, but very popular and while we have usually got a seat once we were told they were full.

Also just up the road from their at Langwathby station there is the Brief Encounter Café in the actual station building. I had one of the nicest sausage sandwiches I have ever had. Open I believe Wednesday to Sunday.

backontrack

Established Member
Unfortunately there's no longer a station at Culgaith, so getting to the latter may prove difficult. Although, actually, there's a local campaign to reopen it.

Status
Not open for further replies.