• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ECML delays - 16th feb 08

Status
Not open for further replies.

P156KWJ

Established Member
there were severe delays northbound on all NXEC, Hull Trains and Grand Central services along the ECML due to a NXEC Edinburgh train brake fault at potters bar / alexandra pallace, were there delays to stuff like FCC networkers too, cos i assume they took all the stuff on to the slow lines? but does anyone know why there were so many delays southbound because of an 'incident' at doncaster? i was annoyed with the train faliure, as i was waiting at grantham to see the hull trains 86101, which was 56 minutes late as a consequence.:( woth the wait in the end though :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BOSCH

Nice to see Natex reliability improving !!!:shock:(yes I know,people in glass houses etc etc !!)

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There were problems in the north too. The 1750 ex Glasgow Central-Leeds was delayed by 15 minutes due to trespassers in the Edinburgh earlier. However, due to slack at Newcastle, it was looking hopeful that we'd recover a bit of time.

Then, the signallers managed to pull off a huge cock-up. There was single line running from Heaton to a few miles south of Newcastle Central (a massive distance!) due to engineering works in the station. There was also only one platform in use. While we were rapidly approaching Newcastle station, the signallers put a Voyager into the station from the south, around 5 minutes early! This meant that while the Voyager was hanging around in Newcastle for going on 10 minutes, we were forced to wait at Heaton, gradually getting later and later. By the time the Voyager had cleared the section, we were around 30 minutes late. And, subsequently, we'd managed to make a northbound NXEC service 27 minutes late after it had been 5 minutes early!

So in the end, by putting the Voyager in ahead of us, they managed to make us even more late, heavily delay a train that was previously running early, but ensure that the Voyager arrived into Edinburgh early due to masses of slack :roll:. Had they put us in first, we may have delayed the Voyager a little, but with all that slack (and superior acceleration) it would have easily caught up. Meanwhile, the northbound NXEC train probably wouldn't have been delayed at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.