• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ECML Power Supply Upgrade

jthjth

Does anyone know what the status of upgrading the power supply north of Berwick is? The TPE trains are still running through on Diesel power, which if I understand correctly is due to power capacity issues on the line. I’ve never really understood this restriction, as the Lumo trains, which turned up at around the same time, are running on electricity, and both operators turn up on the line very infrequently compared to the LNER services.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Does anyone know what the status of upgrading the power supply north of Berwick is? The TPE trains are still running through on Diesel power, which if I understand correctly is due to power capacity issues on the line. I’ve never really understood this restriction, as the Lumo trains, which turned up at around the same time, are running on electricity, and both operators turn up on the line very infrequently compared to the LNER services.
I believe it’s because the track access for the Lumo service was approved by ORR some time before the TPE extensions, although the Lumo service didn’t appear for some time after approval it probably had first dibs - apart from being approved as a full EMU operation.

There’s quite a lot of physical progress on the SFC feeder station equipment at Marshall Meadows, but no idea what the realistic timescales are for completion. There’s about 4-5 km of overhead supply line upgrade from 2 x 132 kV single phase to 2 x 132 kV 3 phase needed, from the Berwick DNO substation at High Cocklaw. Planning permission for that was given in summer 2021.

Last edited:

Jan

Can SFCs at consecutive feeder stations be synchronised so that their outputs are in phase with each other?

Can this be used to reduce the need for neutral sections?
Discussed at length earlier in this thread, but in theory yes. You’d still need facilities to isolate sections for maintenance of fault finding though.
Load Break switches at insulated overlaps could have potential(*) to work.
Don't ask me about the specific intricacies, but somehow it already works in the 15 kV 16.7 Hz countries, where full-on neutral sections are much more of a rarity as compared to classical 25 kV 50 Hz electrification.

td97

Established Member
Don't ask me about the specific intricacies, but somehow it already works in the 15 kV 16.7 Hz countries, where full-on neutral sections are much more of a rarity as compared to classical 25 kV 50 Hz electrification.
A bit like this
It was a pleasure to welcome Robert Cairns to Hambleton Jn today. He became the first Network Rail engineer to operate the world's most powerful SFC, feeding 27.5kV to the feeder station that will feed both ECML and Transpennine routes (North, South, East and West)! It rounded off a week of firsts for UK rail. Monday started with the first short circuit tests of the complete integrated railway protection system with all features enabled. The project remit demanded safety by design and specifically, fault clearance to be as fast as practicable. The complete railway electrification is designed as a system from the distribution topology, through switchgear and protection, to the SFC supplies to form an integrated digital power supply. This enables consistent, effective fault clearance in as little as 9ms, meaning a more reliable and safer railway, with fewer dewirements. Every short circuit test effectively cleared in 9-13ms. By comparison with the same event in the same place on a "conventional" electrified railway, fault energy is reduced >99%. Then yesterday we commenced high power validation of the SFC, feeding continuous power in a cycle through the two 75MW SFCs to prove its performance. The SFC maintained exactly 27.5kV as load increased, improving journey times, reducing losses and drastically increasing the capacity of conventional, low-cost OLE. The consequence is more capacity and faster journeys on ECML with half the substations, half the live conductors over the track, simpler protection and distribution, and much less to go wrong or maintain out on track. Not to mention the years of passenger disruption avoided! There was one more first in that test. Although not yet permitted in service, for the power testing we applied temporary software and paralleled two SFCs for the first time in the UK. Controlled supply from multiple grid infeeds further reduces energy losses, further increases capacity on simple low-cost OLE, and eliminates neutral sections. Sadly we have to return to "island mode" next week, but the future is clear. This is a quantum leap forward for UK railways, delivered by REAL alliance; designed, integrated and optimised for Network Rail conditions in Siemens' UK SFC design centre, supported by global experts. We are recruiting converter designers and managers now as we gear up for the exponential growth of SFCs on 25kV railways: get in touch if you want to be part of bringing railways into the digital power age!

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Wow. Fantastic news.
Its quite a site when you pass it on the train lots more kit. Not sure how it helps lower dewirements though but am impressed with that fault clearance time. Was 60-80ms back in the 80's.
SFC must be the way to go as connecting at 400kV is expensive and outage windows are very limited.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Its quite a site when you pass it on the train lots more kit. Not sure how it helps lower dewirements though but am impressed with that fault clearance time. Was 60-80ms back in the 80's.
SFC must be the way to go as connecting at 400kV is expensive and outage windows are very limited.
Useful at Marshall Meadows that’s for sure.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
During some types of faults significant amounts of heat can be dumped into a small area of conductor. For example a static arc will heat a short section of cable, which can cause it to get hot enough that it will fail under the tension applied by the weighting system.

Reducing the fault energy by 99% will likely eliminate this failure mode.

Snow1964

Established Member
It's good news that this is working, especially as it seems there is a plan in CP7 to renew parts of the aging 1960s switchgear on WCML

hwl

Established Member
SFC is also very good for connecting to 400kV as the phase imbalances due to loading are virtually nil (you can even use it to compensate for existing grid phase imbalances as part of normal operation, not sure if this is part of the NR spec but Germany, Austria and Norway already do this) and a reasonable degree of power factor correction can be (easily and cheaply) achieved. This turns rail from pain in the posterior large customer to an ideal one.

Some existing 400kV supply points have limitations due to phase imbalance rather than the typical 80MVA rating of the actual equipment so this could be quite useful to address those locations and supply areas.

However, it is best to keep in mind that the SFC fan club slightly over claim on the reduced costs of SFC installations as they include the cost reduction benefits of changes to switch gear rules (simplification) which would also apply to an extent to new conventional installations (but strangely they don't work up a conventional new installation specification for accurate cost benchmarking because the % cost reduction is noticeably smaller. ;) )

SansHache

If the SFC maintains the supply voltage at 27.5kV then the regenerative braking facility on all trains in the section will be disabled. Current standards require that regenerative braking is inhibited if the line voltage exceeds 27.5kV.

AM9

Veteran Member
If the SFC maintains the supply voltage at 27.5kV then the regenerative braking facility on all trains in the section will be disabled. Current standards require that regenerative braking is inhibited if the line voltage exceeds 27.5kV.
I would imagine that the conflict would be sorted before a full scale roll out. If the additional efficiency of +10% line voltage is to be established over a large area of operations, the regen. settings can be adjusted.

snowball

Established Member
I assumed the 27.5kV was chosen so that with several trains in section the voltage at points furthest from the nearest feeder would be not too far below 25kV.

notadriver

Established Member
Not sure if this is relevant to the conversation - I’ve observed line voltages as low as 22Kv on the TMS.
I also believe lner do not normally run 10 car sets north of Newcastle due to current power restrictions?
I also believe a 9 car LNER Azuma set with 5 motored vehicles is faster than a 5 car Lumo set with 3 motored vehicles north of Chathill.

stuving

It seems to me that this was part of a set of acceptance tests, done over the full range of voltages and powers and with power flow forwards through each SFC. Running at full rated power and the upper limit of 27.5 kV is the most demanding case, so that gets reported. Of course the SFCs will put out whatever voltage you enter in the relevant computer screen, subject to rigorous checks by the control software. And that output voltage could also be based on feedback from monitored voltages along the track.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Thats 27.5kV at the feeder station busbars not the train pantograph and unless its directly outside the FS of course.

Nominally it was 26.5Kv when i was involved with ECML first time around and 27.5Kv was an upper limit with 22kV as the lower limit for the stock to work to under normal feeding conditions.

ABB125

Established Member
A bit like this

I note that the quote says "half the substations" and also "half the live conductors over the track".

In this context, does "substation" mean the grid supply point where the SFC is located, or something else? If it's something else, why is this only an option when using SFCs?

For half the number of conductors, in a typical OHLE setup, as far as I'm aware there's essentially only the contact wire and the catenary wire which are live. For autotransformer wiring, there's another live wire, is it this that the quote is referring to, which to me implies that SFCs can't be used with autotransformers?

stuving

I note that the quote says "half the substations" and also "half the live conductors over the track".

In this context, does "substation" mean the grid supply point where the SFC is located, or something else? If it's something else, why is this only an option when using SFCs?

For half the number of conductors, in a typical OHLE setup, as far as I'm aware there's essentially only the contact wire and the catenary wire which are live. For autotransformer wiring, there's another live wire, is it this that the quote is referring to, which to me implies that SFCs can't be used with autotransformers?
That's a bit of Siemens marketing for their SFCs dropped into the text rather awkwardly. I think it's about an idea I have come across, which goes like this:

SFCs can feed into a long run of OLE without section breaks, so they don't need to be in pairs and can be spread out with half the spacing of transformer feed stations. That bit I can follow, but I have not seen a justification for the second bit. That says the power feed is so much better that the ATs and thus the ATF are not needed.

SansHache

Thats 27.5kV at the feeder station busbars not the train pantograph and unless its directly outside the FS of course.

Nominally it was 26.5Kv when i was involved with ECML first time around and 27.5Kv was an upper limit with 22kV as the lower limit for the stock to work to under normal feeding conditions.
Agreed, the problem arises when the trains are regenerating at the remote end of the section from the feeder. The voltage at the train pantograph rises to a voltage higher than at the feeder, as the power flow is from the train to the grid (assuming no other trains are drawing load in the section).

With the conventional feeder stations on the WCML, an off-load voltage of 27kV can result in trains at the far end of the section inhibiting regenerative brake as the voltage at the pantograph rises above 27.5kV.

Setting the SFC feeder to a regulated 27.5kV implies that regeneration will only be possible if there are other trains drawing power in the section. The train operators may not be impressed when their electric bills go up.

AM9

Veteran Member
Agreed, the problem arises when the trains are regenerating at the remote end of the section from the feeder. The voltage at the train pantograph rises to a voltage higher than at the feeder, as the power flow is from the train to the grid (assuming no other trains are drawing load in the section).

With the conventional feeder stations on the WCML, an off-load voltage of 27kV can result in trains at the far end of the section inhibiting regenerative brake as the voltage at the pantograph rises above 27.5kV.

Setting the SFC feeder to a regulated 27.5kV implies that regeneration will only be possible if there are other trains drawing power in the section. The train operators may not be impressed when their electric bills go up.
That sounds logical, - but how is the power that a train draws monitored? Would the export of power be separately recorded, and would a inhibit of such export because the supply cannot handle it be noted in order that the train operator gets credited with the 'offer' of exported power?

Elecman

Established Member
That sounds logical, - but how is the power that a train draws monitored? Would the export of power be separately recorded, and would a inhibit of such export because the supply cannot handle it be noted in order that the train operator gets credited with the 'offer' of exported power?
Import /Export metering on the traction pick up equipment

td97

Established Member
Chathill TSC is reportedly now in service
In the early hours of Wednesday 13th September, the REAL team entered Chathill TSC into service.

The 7th PSU site to be entered into service in the past year and the boundary between York ECR, England and Cathcart ECR, Scotland, Chathill commissioning came with a unique level of complexity.

Construction works first began at the Chathill site in September 2021 culminating in the completion of works during the scheduled 2023 week 24 possession window and consequential section proving, soak testing and final entry into service on the 13th.

59CosG95

Established Member
Chathill TSC is reportedly now in service

From this, I believe the following Phase 2 sites are now upgraded:
  • Hambleton Jn SFC + FS (almost);
  • Colton Jn TSC;
  • York FS;
  • Hutton Bonville FS;
  • Durham FS;
  • Benton FS;
  • Chathill TSC;
  • Fenham TSC.
Still outstanding for Phase 2 are:
  • Doncaster North TSC;
  • Balne TSC;
  • The remaining part of Hambleton;
  • Tollerton TSC;
  • Dalton (MP)TSC;
  • Northallerton TSC;
  • Darlington TSC;
  • Aycliffe (MP)TSC;
  • Tursdale Jn TSC;
  • Chester-le-Street (MP)TSC;
  • King Edward Bridge TSC;
  • Stannington MPTSC;
  • Ulgham Crossing FS;
  • Shilbottle TSC;
  • Marshall Meadows SFC + FS.

As for Phase 1, I believe the outstanding works are:
  • AT Feeding Welwyn - Hitchin;
  • Commissioning of Digswell TSC (replacing the old outdoor switchgear TSL with an ASG building);
  • Modifying Biggleswade MPTSC;
  • Commissioning Little Barford FS;
  • Constructing the new Bretton FS (which AIUI needs a TWAO), and the associated decommissioning of Nene FS & Tallington TSC;
  • Commissioning Grantham North FS;
  • Commissioning Retford FS.
The last 2 still need further assessment from the DNOs (Western PD & Northern Powergrid respectively AIUI).

Also of note is that the final booster between Wood Green & Bawtry has now been removed.

Last edited:

td97

Established Member

Sonik

If you click the link to the post on LinkedIn this specific question was answered in the comments, well worth a read:

Essentially because the SFC is an electronically regulated supply it doesn't let the voltage raise on regen like a transformer would, so it's not really an issue to feed the section at maximum voltage, and I guess since there will always be some loss in the OLE between feeder and train the regen controls on the train will always see a slightly lower voltage.

The other very noteworthy point made is that the regulated voltage from the SFC also allows for savings in OLE costs, I guess because no allowance has to be made for voltage fluctuations at the feeder, allowing lighter gauge OLE to be specified than would be required with a transformer fed system. To me this has to be a huge benefit of SFC technology (besides reducing grid connection costs) and it also introduces the possibility of getting more out of existing wiring.

What's not to like!

Last edited:

AM9

Veteran Member
If you click the link to the post on LinkedIn this specific question was answered in the comments, well worth a read:

Essentially because the SFC is an electronically regulated supply it doesn't let the voltage raise on regen like a transformer would, so it's not really an issue to feed the section at maximum voltage, and I guess since there will always be some loss in the OLE between feeder and train the regen controls on the train will always see a slightly lower voltage.
That's not the issue. The decision to enable regen is taken by the traction control using the voltage sensed at the trains feed, and the voltage at the feed point is both unknown and irrelevant. So as soon as the regen is enabled, the voltage will rise depending on the current and the voltage drop from the train to the SFC, which if set at the maximum allowed voltage will result in a switch off. It would be an unstable system where no sustained energy recovery could take place. Any economy in the OLE that increases the voltage drop when feeding would make the system more unstable because the reverse feed would raise he voltage at the train even higher.(or more often).

HSTEd

Veteran Member
That's not the issue. The decision to enable regen is taken by the traction control using the voltage sensed at the trains feed, and the voltage at the feed point is both unknown and irrelevant. So as soon as the regen is enabled, the voltage will rise depending on the current and the voltage drop from the train to the SFC, which if set at the maximum allowed voltage will result in a switch off. It would be an unstable system where no sustained energy recovery could take place. Any economy in the OLE that increases the voltage drop when feeding would make the system more unstable because the reverse feed would raise he voltage at the train even higher.(or more often).
The SFC could be programmed to detect that regen is occuring and reduce the SFC voltage accordingly though.

The actual voltage drop required for such a system will be in the tens of volts. Which is well within tolerance on a reading of 27.5kV.