• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Economy single Dublin to London Rail sail

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkhtele

Can any one give me the conditions of this ticket from the current manual, it appears to be flexible without restictions like an anytime single? I want to know am I tied to a particular train about 4.48 am or can I travel on the later 6.55 in Euston 10.38?
Thanks for your help.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lrd

Established Member
I think you may need to be reserved on a ferry, even though you don't get a reservation ticket, they use your ticket as a booking reference.

This is more for the opposite direction though, may still apply.

TEW

Established Member
You did used to get a reservation ticket for the ferry, although they could just check your details on the system anyway. Reservations are compulsory on the ferry.

tivoli

Although I have always reserved place on ferry, nobody ever seems to cross refer my name to any reservation, in fact I often feel I could give any name as no ID is asked for. I accept it may be different on very busy crossings.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
You did used to get a reservation ticket for the ferry, although they could just check your details on the system anyway. Reservations are compulsory on the ferry.

Indeed. A separate coupon is usually printed for the ferry - usually with the seat number maked as "X" only.

TEW

Established Member
I've never had the reservation coupon checked even when they used them anyway.

shotayo

I use the rail sail on the Holyhead and Fishguard routes weekly. It is my understanding that a Ferry reservation is essential to ensure the validaty of the ticket. However, it seems that some station just sell the ticket and do not bother to book the ferry part.

As far as I am aware, whilst you are not restricted to which train to catch.

MarkyMarkD

I e-mailed ATW about this and they said that there was no need to hold any evidence of the ferry reservation. It was via their website that I bought the ticket and then collected it from my local station's machines.

Virgin clearly had no expectation of seeing anything relating to the ferry when I travelled in either direction (and nor did Southeastern who probably see a lot fewer of these tickets than the guards on Euston-Holyhead trains which clearly connect with the ferries).

bkhtele

I did get a reservation for the ferry, but I arrive at 00.20, so I want to get some sleep and then get a convenient train rather than a very early one. My understanding that stopping overnight does not count as break of journey and that as long as I commence my journey again by 12 noon the same day that is allowable. Am I correct?

Lrd

Established Member
I did get a reservation for the ferry, but I arrive at 00.20, so I want to get some sleep and then get a convenient train rather than a very early one. My understanding that stopping overnight does not count as break of journey and that as long as I commence my journey again by 12 noon the same day that is allowable. Am I correct?

That is fine. I got the 1700 ish ferry Belfast - Stranraer, Up to Glasgow, sleeper to London, then the 0735 ish train to Southampton, all with no problems.

Flying Snail

Established Member
Although I have always reserved place on ferry, nobody ever seems to cross refer my name to any reservation, in fact I often feel I could give any name as no ID is asked for. I accept it may be different on very busy crossings.

The check-in staff at the ferry terminal asking for your name has nothing to do with reservations or tickets. The ferry operators are required to compile a complete manifest of passengers (and crew) onboard for every crossing. This is a legal requirement dating back to the aftermath of the Herald Of Free Enterprise sinking where one of the issues that emerged was that nobody actually knew exactly who or how many people were on-board.

Reservations are part of the system but under normal conditions are not required as the ferries are usually well under max capacity. During the ash cloud carry-on they did insist on reservations and put in place quotas effectively stopping rail retailers selling the tickets in many cases.

The issue of BoJ on those tickets is not clear, even the restriction code description contradicts itself. What you are suggesting is covered by the Overnight exception anyway and in practice you are very unlikely to have any trouble with a BoJ one those tickets anyway.

As an aside I would say that getting a few hours sleep somewhere more suitable than the floor of Holyhead ferry terminal is a very good idea as well, it was bad enough when there was a near 2 hour wait for the train, now that there is a 5 hour gap it is something best avoided if at all possible.

bkhtele

Thank you for the advice, I have managed to pick up a £12 travel lodge room in Holyhead 1 mile from station - quick taxi required!

Flying Snail

Established Member
Thank you for the advice, I have managed to pick up a £12 travel lodge room in Holyhead 1 mile from station - quick taxi required!

Good price. I have stayed there a few times, it's OK. Most importantly it seems to be pretty quiet, no pubs, clubs or takeaways within earshot.

No taxi necessary unless you have heavy bags. It is a 5 minute walk at good pace, nowhere near 1 mile as long as you go the right way.

To walk there;
Leave through the railway (platform 2), not the ferry treminal entrance or footbridge.
At the far end of platform 2 exit to the station approach road. At the top of the approach road turn right, you will see the travelodge now in front of you to the left but there is no pedestrian access in that direction.
Turn right again at the traffic lights. Cross over this road at the pedestrian lights and walk back towards the travelodge on the adjacent lower road.

tivoli

The check-in staff at the ferry terminal asking for your name has nothing to do with reservations or tickets. The ferry operators are required to compile a complete manifest of passengers (and crew) onboard for every crossing. This is a legal requirement dating back to the aftermath of the Herald Of Free Enterprise sinking where one of the issues that emerged was that nobody actually knew exactly who or how many people were on-board.

That makes sense, but if no ID is asked for, is it anymore than head counting?

Status
Not open for further replies.