• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh - starting short, break of journey, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave W

Hello,

Preamble: I'm off to Edinburgh tomorrow. My original plan was two nights in a hotel, followed by a night staying at a friend's house. Unfortunately said friend has contracted you-know-what, so I've had to book a hotel in Portobello. The nearest station is Brunstane (forget buses for a moment). I intend to traverse the Forth rail bridge on Saturday and then walk back across the original road crossing. This coincides with me "changing hotels".

Situation: I've bought an off peak return from Brunstane to North Queensferry. My intended itinerary is thus:

0941 Edinburgh-North Queensferry
1333 Dalmeny-Edinburgh
1823 Edinburgh-Brunstane

This combined ticket is £6.20 instead of £8.80 for a return to NQ and a single to Brunstane.

Questions: I'm almost certain an off-peak return can be broken in this way, but will I have any bother with this plan? Is there a gateline, are staff amenable and - since we're here - is there anything else I should know about using Waverley?

Thanks!
Dave

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
Hello,

Preamble: I'm off to Edinburgh tomorrow. My original plan was two nights in a hotel, followed by a night staying at a friend's house. Unfortunately said friend has contracted you-know-what, so I've had to book a hotel in Portobello. The nearest station is Brunstane (forget buses for a moment). I intend to traverse the Forth rail bridge on Saturday and then walk back across the original road crossing. This coincides with me "changing hotels".

Situation: I've bought an off peak return from Brunstane to North Queensferry. My intended itinerary is thus:

0941 Edinburgh-North Queensferry
1333 Dalmeny-Edinburgh
1823 Edinburgh-Brunstane

This combined ticket is £6.40 instead of £8.80 for a return to NQ and a single to Brunstane.

Questions: I'm almost certain an off-peak return can be broken in this way, but will I have any bother with this plan? Is there a gateline, are staff amenable and - since we're here - is there anything else I should know about using Waverley?
An Off Peak Day Return from Brunstane to North Queensferry is £6.20. Break of journey is permitted.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Oh yes - I misremembered it being a little more - edited in original post. Thanks for confirming BOJ is allowed!
You referred to "the combined ticket" which suggested some sort of split, so thanks for clarifying.

Status
Not open for further replies.