• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh & The Lothians Council Tender Services

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
The notice was added on April 3rd. The previous messages here were on March 7th. There was a similar discussion when similar occurred in West Lothian.
I wonder who the mystery 5th bidder is then? According to the link it says 5 bids received, but only 4 are listed. I would assume it’s Edinburgh Coach Lines?

I can’t really understand why Borders Buses have bid, but I guess nothing is too far fetched.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
I wonder who the mystery 5th bidder is then? According to the link it says 5 bids received, but only 4 are listed. I would assume it’s Edinburgh Coach Lines?

I can’t really understand why Borders Buses have bid, but I guess nothing is too far fetched.

Border Buses is an interesting choice but can't understand why they would have bidded personally as it's out their reach.

Guess we have to wait and see, I can see Lothian, Lothian Country, Edinburgh Coach Line or Prentice being the bidders

LBObserver

I recently took the opportunity of a first time in many years ride on the 13 after earlier noticing it being operated towards Lochend by ECLs Citylink Irizar coach. I boarded at the top of Broughton Road and got off in Princes Street. There were three people on when I boarded. Two more got on in Broughton Road, one in Rodney Street and two in Dundas Street. Two got off in Hanover Street.

I returned immediately as a late running 13 was coming along, a more usual Enviro 200. Three people who were tourists got off after checking with the driver how to get to Waverley Station. Four more who were dressed up for an afternoon out got off in George Street. This left me and two others. One got off in Dundas Street. Nobody else got on, not even at Tesco in Broughton Road before I got off at the next stop.

This was mid-afternoon so just a snapshot but I do wonder how many people regularly use this hourly service. In recent times Lothian have adjusted service 10 to run along McDonald Road after the tramline completion. Service 9 follows the 13 route between Rodney Street and Hanover Street. Service 36 connects Broughton Road with Queensferry Street by a different route. I would argue these would rule out needing a council subsidised route in those areas.

Albert Street/Dalmeny Street (one in each direction now on the 13) are no different in length from Iona Street or similar streets in other areas. The fact they, along with St Clair Street have been served by the 13 for decades is no reason to continue. Findlay Gardens is more recent but unsuitable for a frequent two way full size bus given the parking situation. There are many similar districts across the city without a bus service but plenty on nearby roads.

Maybe rerouting the 21 or 25 from Lochend Road to serve St Clair Street then Easter Road would work, but both are far more frequent than the 13.

Perhaps the 13 could divert at Easter Roaf and run to Dumbiedykes then on to George Street.

R Scandle

There may not be a 5th bidder, but 5 bids from 4 bidders with one of the bidders submitting both a compliant bid and alternative bid. If so then presumably Lothian Buses.

Last edited by a moderator:

overthewater

Established Member
Has anyone mentioned McGill's are not in the running? I take it Livingston depot will become a tour and airport depot only?

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I suspect McGill realises they wouldn't win it as they are far from flavor of the month in Edinburgh council's books I shouldn't think
It's nothing to do with being flavour of the month. If McGill's had submitted a bid, the council would be obliged to consider it in the same way as the others.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Maybe rerouting the 21 or 25 from Lochend Road to serve St Clair Street then Easter Road would work, but both are far more frequent than the 13.

Perhaps the 13 could divert at Easter Roaf and run to Dumbiedykes then on to George Street.

I think the problem is that despite all those points, the backlash that was received when the proposed rerouting of the 13 was immense, most people consider the 13 a lifeline link, probably for the Lochend - Bonnington connection.

Would the 13 in this diversion run the old 6 route to Hanover Street?

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
I think the problem is that despite all those points, the backlash that was received when the proposed rerouting of the 13 was immense, most people consider the 13 a lifeline link, probably for the Lochend - Bonnington connection.
I bet though it’s the classic moaning from the people that use it maybe a couple of times a month at a push. Time and time again a fair few of us have said there’s no point keeping it from Hanover Street to Lochend as it’s normally a fresh air bus, but the council caved in to a few moaners.

JKP

I bet though it’s the classic moaning from the people that use it maybe a couple of times a month at a push. Time and time again a fair few of us have said there’s no point keeping it from Hanover Street to Lochend as it’s normally a fresh air bus, but the council caved in to a few moaners.
I often see mid Tuesday afternoon journeys on this route when visiting my daughter at Belleview. Recently I saw half a dozen on the bus which to be frank is sometimes the same size load as on other Lothian routes in the area at that time of day. Only by examining ticket machine data should decisions be made on whether to continue the present routeing.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
I’m hearing there’s an article going about saying that the 4 bids above are actually the winning bids. I haven’t seen it to confirm but if true I wonder which operators have bid for what?

Volvodart

Established Member
I’m hearing there’s an article going about saying that the 4 bids above are actually the winning bids. I haven’t seen it to confirm but if true I wonder which operators have bid for what?
If it was Edinburgh Live, that article was deleted.

DunsBus

Established Member
I believe it’s the same article that’s been given to a few places. The author has since deleted it all.
An article that's been run and then deleted tells you all that you need to know about the standard of journalism these days - running a story that's based on assumptions without any facts. Journalists need to remember that two plus two does not equal five, which is exactly what's happened here.

Baileygirl

Do Edinburgh have school transport? The companies mentioned are more likely to do this type of work, rather than bus services.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Do Edinburgh have school transport? The companies mentioned are more likely to do this type of work, rather than bus services.
A small number of the Special Schools and Roman Catholic Schools have coach transport from areas that are further away. AAA Coaches have been the councils main source of coaches for at least a couple of decades now, which includes private hires to events etc. I imagine only schools in the far west of the city have a chance of having school transport, for example Kirkliston, South Queensferry and Ratho. Even then there’s a chance they might have nothing.

JKP

The Gaelic primary school in Leith is served by a number of school transport routes ranging from taxis to coaches as it serves not only the city but also the other parts of the Lothians.

Busman757

An email from our local councillors for Kirkliston has stated that the new 63 service will only run between Queensferry and The Gyle, running hourly. Stopped short of saying who the operator will be however.

stantheman

On Moderation
How many folk use the 68 ? Why is it to lose the old airport road with all the new houses there ? Maybe that junction with Maybury …bad enough in the old days , god knows what it’s like now

An email from our local councillors for Kirkliston has stated that the new 63 service will only run between Queensferry and The Gyle, running hourly. Stopped short of saying who the operator will be however.
What date do all these changes take effect from ?

stevenedin

How many folk use the 68 ? Why is it to lose the old airport road with all the new houses there ? Maybe that junction with Maybury …bad enough in the old days , god knows what it’s like now

I was on it once and at least 20 school kids got on the bus on Craigs Road going to Meadow Place Road so it is used by school kids as well.

Busman757

There was no date mentioned.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member

If that's all it is then it's at least better than nothing, an hourly service is still better than 90 minutes.

Hope Lothian Country take the helm on this.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
This may not necessarily end up being the case should an operator bid for another tender then merge the routes. However, an hourly service between Queensferry & Gyle is to be expected no matter what.

gavin1985

This may not necessarily end up being the case should an operator bid for another tender then merge the routes. However, an hourly service between Queensferry & Gyle is to be expected no matter what.
The fact the route is split is a bit crazy in my opinion. Considering the 26 from Clermiston all the way to Prestonpans. However Queensferry to terminate at the Gyle is rather short sighted.
Sure not every bus should go to Princess Street, but at least have it going further into Edinburgh.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
The fact the route is split is a bit crazy in my opinion. Considering the 26 from Clermiston all the way to Prestonpans. However Queensferry to terminate at the Gyle is rather short sighted.
Sure not every bus should go to Princess Street, but at least have it going further into Edinburgh.
I think you’ve forgotten that the 63 is a subsidised route though. As such there’s only a requirement to run the service to the subsidy requirements. Anything above and beyond this in terms of routing, frequency and hours of operation normally falls into the commercial arm. The overall subsidy would usually remain the same. Given the 63’s subsidy requirement now is only going to be between South Queensferry and the Gyle, where exactly would any route be best going and where is the incentive or necessity to do this? As has been said before, in an ideal world, the same operator will win the 63 and the remaining portion of the 20 (Gyle to Chesser) and operate the route as one through route. Ideal worlds are not often reality though. The current 20 is again two separate contracts, 20 (Gyle to Chesser) and then 20 extension (Hermiston Gait to Ratho).

The Ratho to City route if it does eventually get the go-ahead will be an interesting addition. This also could be best the route for covering Dumbiedykes and Holyrood as well; however it may still get its own service. The 13 in my opinion would have been better, but running via The Mound instead of the crazy idea proposed. I believe the aim though is for it to be either commercial or subsidised by one of the property developers currently building near Ratho. A similar suggestion was also made for West Craigs/Turnhouse, but a commercial service seems very likely for those areas in the coming years.