• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh to Cardiff

Status
Not open for further replies.

SammyJ

I hope this is the right place for this question apologies if not.

I read a thread yesterday where Yorkie suggested Manchester as a splitting point from Scotland to Cardiff - so i did this and got a return at a total cost of £47.00 return. (great advice)

My question is i have given myself 30 mins between arriving at Manchester and departing for Cardiff (the same going home too) and wondering is this enough time and what happens if the train is late, am i permitted on the next service or will i have to buy a new ticket?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

telstarbox

Established Member
You won't need to buy a new ticket as long as you have allowed the minimum connection time at Manchester Piccadilly which is 10 minutes. As you've allowed 30 minutes you will be fine to take the next train. This also applies to Advance tickets:

National Rail Conditions of Carriage said:
If you purchase an Advance ticket, you must use that ticket in the train specified when you book your ticket. However, if you miss this service because a previous connecting train service was delayed you will be able to travel on the next service provided by the Train Company with whom you were booked to travel without penalty.

The only point to note is that if the second ticket is TOC-specific eg "Arriva Trains Wales only", you would have to wait for the next train run by that TOC.

SammyJ

The Manchester - Cardiff and the Manchester - Edinburgh are all Advance Single tickets

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I hope this is the right place for this question apologies if not.

I read a thread yesterday where Yorkie suggested Manchester as a splitting point from Scotland to Cardiff - so i did this and got a return at a total cost of £47.00 return. (great advice)

My question is i have given myself 30 mins between arriving at Manchester and departing for Cardiff (the same going home too) and wondering is this enough time and what happens if the train is late, am i permitted on the next service or will i have to buy a new ticket?

You will be permitted to travel on the next ATW service. Subject, as telstarbox has said, to you allowing the minimum connection time at Manchester, which you have done.

You won't have to buy a new ticket and if anyone tells you that you do they are wrong! It might be a good idea, though, to get an endorsement from the guard on the first service if it is running significantly late.

Status
Not open for further replies.