• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh to North Berwick Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotrail158713

Established Member
Does anyone know if there’s a reason why services on this line are half-hourly all day on a Saturday, but hourly the rest of the week? As a frequent user of this line it has confused me, and I couldn’t find anything giving any sort of reason why.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I thought it was because other operators have fewer services on a Saturday so there is more spare room on the line for ScotRail services?

scotrail158713

Established Member
I thought it was because other operators have fewer services on a Saturday so there is more spare room on the line for ScotRail services?
That’s what I initially thought, but there’s not actually less services on a standard Saturday. If anything there is more as all LNER services start and finish at Waverley, instead of some finishing at Newcastle.
It may just be to do with unit availability.

bramling

Veteran Member
That’s what I initially thought, but there’s not actually less services on a standard Saturday. If anything there is more as all LNER services start and finish at Waverley, instead of some finishing at Newcastle.
It may just be to do with unit availability.

Increased demand compared to weekday off-peak for day trips to the seaside (and perhaps day-trips into Edinburgh in the other direction)?

pgfb1306

It certainly used to be due to freight paths on the ECML getting in the way on weekdays which weren't there on Saturdays, allowing the half hourly frequency to operate.

Status
Not open for further replies.