• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh Tour Operators: Bright Bus, Lothian (Majestic, Three Bridges) etc.

vla50

They've all either had Euro4 engines from new (E400s) or have been refitted to Euro4/5 Cummins ISB engines (Tridents & DB250s) prior to First buying them. I believe some if not all have additionally had exhaust upgrades to Euro 6.
That's interesting to hear however would cost be a difference on older buses compared to newer ones?

I have absolutely no problem with the stock that BBT are currently operating, if anything it makes the service more exciting and interesting in terms of variety and from an enthusiast view, I really like them however with some of the stock turning 23 next year would it have been more idyllic to have perhaps brought some newer stock (such as Enviro 400s that are entering the market now) and convert them to open top with some of the older T/V registered Tridents/ALX400s/DB250s being displaced to be used as tester stock for some other tours, perhaps the Aberdeen/Stirling tours that I've heard about (though not official in terms of Stirling however I think there was something about Aberdeen)? IIRC some of the stock would need to be upgraded for Aberdeen though.

Nothing personal about BBT though because as I've said I'm a fan.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordan Adam

Established Member
That's interesting to hear however would cost be a difference on older buses compared to newer ones?

I have absolutely no problem with the stock that BBT are currently operating, if anything it makes the service more exciting and interesting in terms of variety and from an enthusiast view, I really like them however with some of the stock turning 23 next year would it have been more idyllic to have perhaps brought some newer stock (such as Enviro 400s that are entering the market now) and convert them to open top with some of the older T/V registered Tridents/ALX400s/DB250s being displaced to be used as tester stock for some other tours, perhaps the Aberdeen/Stirling tours that I've heard about (though not official in terms of Stirling however I think there was something about Aberdeen)? IIRC some of the stock would need to be upgraded for Aberdeen though.

The age of the vehicle wouldn't make any difference in regard to the cost of exhaust upgrades, it's the engine fitted and the Euro emissions it meets that does. The engines fitted in to the DB250s are 6 cylinder Cummins ISBs that meet Euro 4 (before any exhaust upgrades), the exact same unit as that fitted in the Enviro400s, so the costs for upgrading both types theoretically would've been equal. First didn't have to pay for these engine upgrades as they were done while the vehicles were still at their previous owners.

My own view always has been that vehicle age doesn't matter and is somewhat irrelevant, it's the condition of the vehicle that matters. In the eyes of the public a 20 year old bus can look 5 years old and a 5 year old bus can look 20 years old depending on how well (or not) it's presented.

cnjb8

Established Member

The age of the vehicle wouldn't make any difference in regard to the cost of exhaust upgrades, it's the engine fitted and the Euro emissions it meets that does. The engines fitted in to the DB250s are 6 cylinder Cummins ISBs that meet Euro 4 (before any exhaust upgrades), the exact same unit as that fitted in the Enviro400s, so the costs for upgrading both types theoretically would've been equal. First didn't have to pay for these engine upgrades as they were done while the vehicles were still at their previous owners.

My own view always has been that vehicle age doesn't matter and is somewhat irrelevant, it's the condition of the vehicle that matters. In the eyes of the public a 20 year old bus can look 5 years old and a 5 year old bus can look 20 years old depending on how well (or not) it's presented.
A new open top service can be risky, so it’s better to use older vehicles. It’s the same with First South West and their new ventures

vla50

A new open top service can be risky, so it’s better to use older vehicles. It’s the same with First South West and their new ventures
I mean I'd completely ditto your sentiment, yes of course older and more elderly vehicles should be used on new ventures in order to test their success however in my opinion though I have no problem with the stock BBT use on the A1/A2 but I would argue that perhaps some more buses could be bought but then the elderly 22 year old buses (or how many would be needed for these new ventures in Stirling/Aberdeen that were talked about) and that could then test their success as even at 22 they can still operate tester services.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I mean I'd completely ditto your sentiment, yes of course older and more elderly vehicles should be used on new ventures in order to test their success however in my opinion though I have no problem with the stock BBT use on the A1/A2 but I would argue that perhaps some more buses could be bought but then the elderly 22 year old buses (or how many would be needed for these new ventures in Stirling/Aberdeen that were talked about) and that could then test their success as even at 22 they can still operate tester services.
In terms of Bright Bus, they have bought and converted newer vehicles in order to support the expansion of the operations as well as enabling two vehicles to head south to Exeter. Whilst I think they operate as a pool, you can argue that they started one route with depreciated vehicles and having established that, they are doing the same with another route.

It may be that when they review where the trading is, they will look to invest more in a newer fleet. However, we should remember that open toppers generally (and this applies in part to BBT), whilst they are old and are working hard, aren't doing the miles that a regular service bus is. No early starts, no evening services, and a number mothballed for half the year. Clearly elderly vehicles can't continue for ever, even if the duties are lighter than a regular service life, but the economics will dictate their replacement.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
While i get your point keep in mind also that they're not just your bog standard 22 year old buses, they have had quite extensive upgrades done to them and are generally still in perfectly good condition, it's not like they're running round tired worn Euro 2 deckers with exhaust fumes comparable to that of the Russian Aircraft carrier Admiral Kuznetsov. As i mentioned before when it comes to older buses age is kind of irrelevant, it's condition that matters.

I think it's safe to assume the Aberdeen/Stirling tours are not happening this year.

BobScott

Bright Bus has stopped running their A2 Britannia Tour. I don’t know if this is an end of season finish or if it’s permanent.

Ricky Kane

Does anyone have any information on the new tour service Lothian planning to start?

Registration numberPM1007722/17
Licence NumberPM1007722
Variation number0
StatusRegistered
Service number.Cobbles Tour
Service typeNormal Stopping
Start pointLawnmarket Edinburgh
Finish pointLawnmarket Edinbugh
Via
Date received18 Feb 2022
Effective date03 Apr 2022
End date
Supported by subsidies?No
Local authorities covered by routeThe City of Edinburgh Council
TAOs covered by routeScotland

Last edited by a moderator:
How many open top vehicles are needed for all the tours during the summer (out of the whole fleet of open tops)?
Just thinking an open-top, running as an extra, on something like the 26 would be quite nice in warm weather, along Portobello then along the coast.

Edit: referring to Lothian Group vehicles and Lothian Group services, not First vehicles.

Last edited:
Glorious on the 124 as well.
I'd agree, but I'm not sure what the maximum speed allowed is on an open-topper with passengers on board? If it was 30 then it'd probably loose time against the regular timetable on the 124 outwards of Prestonpans.

Ooh I've had an idea! :idea: I wonder if a fully-open topper would fit under the bridge at Newcraighall and would therefore be able to work a 30? :p

mb88

I'd agree, but I'm not sure what the maximum speed allowed is on an open-topper with passengers on board? If it was 30 then it'd probably loose time against the regular timetable on the 124 outwards of Prestonpans.

Ooh I've had an idea! :idea: I wonder if a fully-open topper would fit under the bridge at Newcraighall and would therefore be able to work a 30? :p
Not sure there is a different maximum speed for an open topper as opposed to a regular bus. Certainly nothing in law anyway. Companies may have their own rules I suppose.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
How many open top vehicles are needed for all the tours during the summer (out of the whole fleet of open tops)?
Just thinking an open-top, running as an extra, on something like the 26 would be quite nice in warm weather, along Portobello then along the coast.
They've done it before, so I cannot see why they can't do it again this summer: (Not mine, forgot to mention this)

No idea why this was moved into this thread when it was refering to open tops operating Lothian services.

Last edited:
Not sure there is a different maximum speed for an open topper as opposed to a regular bus. Certainly nothing in law anyway. Companies may have their own rules I suppose.
Oh really? I thought there was a lower maximum speed for passenger safety. That's fine if there's not though.

Auld reekie

They've done it before, so I cannot see why they can't do it again this summer:
Great photos.

scosutsut

There was a circular service that ran with open top buses from North Berwick a few ago as well. It appears you could get tour-only tickets, or combined travel from Edinburgh on the 124 or X7. It was something I always intended on trying when it ran but I never did get round to it.
Yep, sadly it did not take off, the two former Airlink Scanias converted to open top for it now reside with First Kernow.

stevenedin

On the Ensignbus report it has this:

E400s LJ09CBF / CCE / CAX : First Scotland East (converted to part open top)

Looks like Bright Bus Tiurs may be getting newer buses.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
On the Ensignbus report it has this:

E400s LJ09CBF / CCE / CAX : First Scotland East (converted to part open top)

Looks like Bright Bus Tiurs may be getting newer buses.
Photos posted on the FirstBus Enthusiasts page show at least two of them at Caledonia depot in the base Bright Bus Tours livery.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
You might want to look out for Cobble's Tour from tomorrow
230-234 branded for it. 235 which was yellow has been painted back into the Edinburgh Tour colours. The tour seems to be similar to the Edinburgh tour but is much shorter and also starts at Lawnmarket. It runs every 15 minutes between 9am and 6pm. The branding is rather strange but again looks quite smart as can be seen here: https://mobile.twitter.com/Barberstig/status/1510522955759079427 (not my photos.) The 2 ex city sightseeing buses have received blue moquettes replacing the old sightseeing ones and they do look rather odd on the buses. The ex-edinburgh tour fleet still have the backwards facing front seats upstairs too.

Volvodart

Established Member
Bright Bus has stopped running their A2 Britannia Tour. I don’t know if this is an end of season finish or if it’s permanent.

There is a variation registered for 30 May 2022, presumably it is coming back then.

overthewater

Established Member
Its a bit weird they are planning on bringing this tour back when the current bus network doesn't even have enough drivers.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
@overthewater said:
Its a bit weird they are planning on bringing this tour back when the current bus network doesn't even have enough drivers.

As said by others before, there Is quick cash to be made on bright bus tours which probably isn't there in such abundance on the regular service network. And to be fair, whilst Lothian do do an excellent job I did both routes one after the other last October with visiting friends and I really do think that first have got the edge here.

The commentary is excellent and the fact that some of the vehicles are showing their age adds something to the experience, for me anyway and quite a few others as well. My friend who is a bit of a petrol head despite being female (sorry that sounds very sexist but nevermind), commented that she's not seen such an elderly bus in revenue earning service for a while but enjoyed the experience.