• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh Tram developments

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kylemore

Presumably termination at the West End is necessary because there is no turnback facility at St Andrew Square?

If this is the case perhaps it would have been more sensible to provide one from the start at this location with the present scenario in mind.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Presumably termination at the West End is necessary because there is no turnback facility at St Andrew Square?

If this is the case perhaps it would have been more sensible to provide one from the start at this location with the present scenario in mind.
There should be one there, but never has been. Princes Street or St Andrew Square should have got a crossover before.

This is a temporary move as the construction workers need time and space to remove the old stop. Once the old stop has completely gone (I’m thinking track will have been laid where the stop was as well) then the trams will run in service to St Andrew Square, then out of service to York Place to reverse, reverse at the crossover, then back to St Andrew Square to resume service to the Airport.

davetheguard

Established Member
York Place tram stop is now closed.

Am I right in remembering that there was never originally intended to be a stop at York Place anyway?

It was only provided as the "end of the line" when the route -now finally being built down the hill to Leith- was cut back.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Am I right in remembering that there was never originally intended to be a stop at York Place anyway?

It was only provided as the "end of the line" when the route -now finally being built down the hill to Leith- was cut back.
That’s correct, York Place was introduced as an idea when the northern half of the route was cut from the plan in 2011 (I think).

Roast Veg

Established Member
This is a temporary move as the construction workers need time and space to remove the old stop. Once the old stop has completely gone (I’m thinking track will have been laid where the stop was as well) then the trams will run in service to St Andrew Square, then out of service to York Place to reverse, reverse at the crossover, then back to St Andrew Square to resume service to the Airport.
Wishful thinking I suppose that this might occur relatively soon...

DanNCL

Established Member
I don't think this has already been mentioned - I understand Edinburgh Tram tickets will be accepted on rail services between Haymarket and Waverley for the duration of the closure of St Andrew Square tram stop.

TheAlbanach_

I don't think this has already been mentioned - I understand Edinburgh Tram tickets will be accepted on rail services between Haymarket and Waverley for the duration of the closure of St Andrew Square tram stop.
Haymarket to Waverley only. Not the other direction. I think on ScotRail only too.

DanNCL

Established Member
Haymarket to Waverley only. Not the other direction. I think on ScotRail only too.
It’s both directions, but indeed it does appear to be ScotRail only.

Edinburgh Trams said:
For customers interchanging with National Rail services at Waverley station, we have agreed a partnership with Scotrail to allow tram ticket holders to use services from Haymarket Station to get to and from Waverley.

och aye

It’s both directions, but indeed it does appear to be ScotRail only.

Really? It would have been quicker to transfer onto a Lothian bus (which is also owned by the council) heading towards Princes Street, than get a train from Haymarket.

That’s correct, York Place was introduced as an idea when the northern half of the route was cut from the plan in 2011 (I think).
I think the original revised plan for the final stop to be at St Andrews Square, but that an additional stop built at the turnback was approved by the council. If you dive into the Council meetings from that time, you should be able to find out the exact details.

Latest newsletter:

Last edited:

DanNCL

Established Member
Really? It would have been quicker to transfer onto a Lothian bus (which is also owned by the council) heading towards Princes Street, than get a train from Haymarket.
Tram and Lothian Bus ticketing is fully integrated, tram day tickets are already valid on Lothian Buses so I didn't mention it. That validity does of course still apply during this closure, even with the ticket acceptance on ScotRail too.

och aye

Tram and Lothian Bus ticketing is fully integrated, tram day tickets are already valid on Lothian Buses so I didn't mention it. That validity does of course still apply during this closure, even with the ticket acceptance on ScotRail too.
Ah that's good then. I was thinking that would have been crazy not to have used Lothian Buses. The ScotRail agreement seems like a bit of needless overkill, but hey if the option is there then it's all good too.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Not good if retail briefs are contradicting what’s being advertised to the public. Sadly doesn’t surprise me with the UK rail network though.

The ticket acceptance only applies in one direction (HYM - EDB) and seemingly is intended for tram passengers travelling from the airport connecting at the Waverley to rail services.

As to why is does not apply in the other direction I can offer no explanation.

DanNCL

Established Member
The ticket acceptance only applies in one direction (HYM - EDB) and seemingly is intended for tram passengers travelling from the airport connecting at the Waverley to rail services.

So if it’s only one direction, why are Edinburgh Trams suggesting it’s both? Sadly doesn’t surprise me that we’ve got such a situation, transport operators seem incapable of telling the public the truth these days.

Edinburgh Trams said:
we have agreed a partnership with Scotrail to allow tram ticket holders to use services from Haymarket Station to get to and from Waverley

I imagine the idea is that you get off an eastbound tram at Haymarket and catch a train to Waverley so you can catch another eastbound train from there. Probably only applies to paper tickets and not Ridacards, One-Tickets, First bus season tickets and so on which are also accepted on the tram.

I can't see it making much sense in the other direction. You'd need to buy a tram ticket from one of the closed tram stops and walk down to Waverley Station with its 10 minute transfer time then catch a train to Haymarket, up the escalators/stairs/lift and pick up the tram from there.

In general aren't Waverley tickets interchangeable with Haymarket these days anyway? I've never had any difficulty with barriers or gateline staff if using tickets marked for one station at the other. Therefore I imagine any westbound passengers arriving at Waverley can use their train ticket on another train to Haymarket rather than trying to buy a tram ticket.

InOban

Established Member
I think not. It will allow trams to run empty from St Andrews Sq as far as a reversing point , I don't even know whether this is in the same place as the previous York Place stop.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
I think not. It will allow trams to run empty from St Andrews Sq as far as a reversing point , I don't even know whether this is in the same place as the previous York Place stop.
It’ll be the same place as before. The only new infrastructure for now is the track where the stop used to be and beyond.

Will this allow Leith Street and York Place to fully reopen fully then?
I don’t think it will open when Trams start running to St Andrew Sq again but I don’t think it will be much longer after that. Unlike most of the city’s recent projects this looks to be ahead of schedule so I’d say let’s see where it is when the trams start running again and it might become a bit clearer.

Last edited: