• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

edinburgh tram mock up photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

F Great Eastern

Established Member
What does everyone think of this project? Me personally from being in Scotland for 3-4 weeks in late January and Early February, I loved Edinburgh as it was one of very few capital cities with good public transport both rail and road, and free of traffic congestion, I just feel the trams are going to spoil that.

Established Member
Hate the bloody things!

And I'm in an area that's gonna be served by them...

Edinburgh council seem to have a fascination with having a public transport system based around novelty rather than practicality.
The trams are not needed. They serve a small population in the 3 miles to the North of the city centre, which is slightly pointless because all the building work has been abandoned, meaning the huge population which was going to be there now isnt, it doesnt serve the parliament because they located that at Holyrood instead, and I'm not sure it even goes out to the airport now. It's only going to be a single line as well, and they're running it along a main path through the city used by lots of walkers and cyclists, but now where the trams run along it, it's going to be at least halved in width in most places and if you look a this photo you'll notice that that's not going to leave much space for everyone else. It's also going to be taking up valuable lane space along an arterial road into the city (if the plans havent changed) clogging up an area of town that is already congested due to traffic coming from the M8, the A8, the M9 (via the M8 and A8 ), the A720, the A90 (M90 on the other side of the bridge) via the new M9 link, and the A902. For the airport link, we already have an express bus, as well as having what has been voted the best bus system in the UK. And if you really wanted a better way to get the airport, I'm sure you could have a single line coming of the line from Waverley to the Forth Bridge, which goes past the end of the runway, and run that up to the terminal instead. Cause much less chaos in the city, and might even be cheaper.

/rant
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
and free of traffic congestion

The council seem determined to put a stop to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.