• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Effective way to use forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

scot80

To check for information on this forum instead of repeating the same questions, is there any tips how to search for a specific topic as there are so many threads some probably dated. Looking for telephone interview tips/suggestions any help on how to do this would be greatly beneficial, is there any quick search tolls we can use on this?

Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crossover

Established Member
Google is the best one to use - this forum gets indexed frequently and the built in search is next to useless

In Google do (without quotation marks)
'site:railforums.co.uk <search term>'

scot80

Google is the best one to use - this forum gets indexed frequently and the built in search is next to useless

In Google do (without quotation marks)
'site:railforums.co.uk <search term>'

Yeah the built in search is frustrating at best, cheers guys

PG

Established Member
Based on information from here and there I'd hazard a guess it doesn't use Sphinx since the forum runs on vBulletin Version 3.8.8.

I'm sure someone with a far better understanding of these things will be along soon to correct/confirm this :p

jon0844

Veteran Member
There are many mods to improve vBulletin searching but Google works fine, and works now.

infobleep

Veteran Member
If only one could get Web links from Google to redirect to Tapatalk on my mobile. That is what I use to read and post on this excellent forum.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Most of the time a link opens Tapatalk (Android) automatically. Even for forums I'm not a member of (and it's then quick and easy to register).

infobleep

Veteran Member
Most of the time a link opens Tapatalk (Android) automatically. Even for forums I'm not a member of (and it's then quick and easy to register).
I can't seem to get that to work for his forum using Chrome on my Android Lollipop OS. May be I'm doing something wrong or different.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Try clearing the defaults? Maybe once you were asked and chose Chrome over Tapatalk, and selected Always not once.

infobleep

Veteran Member
As far as I'm aware, I've never been asked for this forum as opposed to Tapatalk in general.

Anyway I'm not going to clear my defaults in case it affects loads of others. Not sure if I can clearly individual defaults as opposed to everything Chrome redirects to.

Thanks for your suggestion though.

jon0844

Veteran Member
You can clear defaults individually (per app), and resetting them is easy. If it needs doing, you'll be asked. If it doesn't, you won't!

Try thia though. Settings/Apps/Downloaded/Tapatalk/Clear defaults.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.