• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Elections 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascot

Established Member
That time again for the European Elections. Your views or anyone a Poll Clerk/Counting Assistant?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I did a postal vote for Bristol City Council elections (Lib Dems were only 9-or-so votes behind last time so every vote does count, whether you support or oppose them), but they sent me a paper for the European elections too. Obviously being a trustworthy individual ;) I haven't sent it off as I'm voting in person in Birmingham but I wonder if they'd ever find out?

Metroland

Established Member
Yep, will be voting, apparently only 37% of people vote, even lower in the Euro elections, so its no wonder we get some of the people we get!

For those unable to decide what to vote for:

http://www.politicalcompass.org/

Last edited:

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
That time again...

I came back from work to see a lib dem leaflet come through the door...it went straight in the bin! I am dumb when it comes to politics so no idea what its all about so I don't bother, all I know is that BNP are rubbish or something :lol:

Tom B

Established Member
I am dumb when it comes to politics so no idea what its all about so I don't bother

I trust you won't be complaining when politicians do something you don't like, then.

Fortunately, I managed to vote, after the DMBC managed to not print several postal votes. "Sorry, but you can't blame us, it's the printers fault". And who engages the printers :roll:?

Metroland

Established Member
I trust you won't be complaining when politicians do something you don't like, then.

Fortunately, I managed to vote, after the DMBC managed to not print several postal votes. "Sorry, but you can't blame us, it's the printers fault". And who engages the printers :roll:?

Well that attitude annoys me as well, or those that vote for the same as their parents, or vote for something because it sounds good. When politicians hold so much power to make you materially better or worse of, to solve crime, make policies that create crime, walk into other countries or send you to war, levy taxes, create a certain transport system, make sure the local hospital has enough money to look after a dying relative... And when there has been so much blood and suffering to get everyone a vote (women have only got the vote since 1928!) I find it quite unbelievable people don't vote!

If they are really not sure of their mind, they should take the test above and match it to the nearest party of your world view and then go off and check the various policies of each party before finally deciding.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Although it's worth pointing out that those tests aren't always a fair representation of one's views. I'm no expert psephologist, but there are a number of issues why one person votes the way they do; voting on a single issue or voting to remove a certain party, which wouldn't be reflected in such a test.

I'd also advise reading news sites such as the BBC and also looking around the parties' own websites to decide who you want to support.

anthony263

Established Member
Voting for the green party because they seem to be the only 1's with common sense, saying that i was tempted to vote for the BNP although i dont like some of their members racist atitudes

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I like the fact that the BNP are proudly claiming that they are not involved in the "expenses scandal." Erm... that would probably be down to the fact that they (fortunately) don't have any MPs or MEPs :lol:

me123

Established Member
I did a postal vote for Bristol City Council elections (Lib Dems were only 9-or-so votes behind last time so every vote does count, whether you support or oppose them), but they sent me a paper for the European elections too. Obviously being a trustworthy individual ;) I haven't sent it off as I'm voting in person in Birmingham but I wonder if they'd ever find out?

Happened to me as well; registered in Glasgow Anniesland and Coatbridge and Chryston.

I will be voting tomorrow. The expenses scandal will not deter me, neither will the absolute farce in Westminster at the moment. However, it probably has altered my opinions slightly. If I don't vote, I can't have my say.

I also have a local council by-election (I'm in Scotland, of course). On both elections, I know exactly who I'm voting for and it has been decided based on the merits of the candidates and parties concerned. (I won't reveal who I'm voting for; needless to say it's neither Labour nor BNP).

One of the main reasons I'm going to vote in Europe is to ensure that the BNP do not get a Scottish seat. I'm sure they won't. But it would truly anger me if they won a single seat anywhere in the UK; I'm tolerant of most political views but under no circumstances can I condone racism, facism and white supremacy.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Happened to me as well; registered in Glasgow Anniesland and Coatbridge and Chryston.
Did they send you two Council election papers for your different Wards and two European papers, or are both your wards not having a Council election (or is one in a different Council - sorry I don't know the geography of that area well).

Would have been funny if they'd got it wrong twice :lol:

me123

Established Member
Scotland (currently) have their council elections at the same time as the Scottish Parliament elections. Our ward councillor (Coatbridge North and Glenboig), however, has resigned so we're having a by-election on the same date.

At my residences, I received a form for European Elections-Scotland Constituency in a Glasgow secondary school.

At home, I received a form for European Elections-Scotland Constituency in my local primary school (10-12 miles from the above polling station!) and a further one for the by-election at the same date in the same polling place.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You mean you only have council elections once every 4 years? :o

me123

Established Member
Yup, only once in 4 years (in fact, the next isn't due until 2012!). One of the many differences in Scots Law regarding elections.

Mintona

Established Member
I was going to vote but I haven't been in the area for very long so I don't know it all that well, and I can't find my polling station :|

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I was going to vote but I haven't been in the area for very long so I don't know it all that well, and I can't find my polling station :|

If you are registered they should have sent you a card with the location - or do you mean you don't know where the place they have put on the card is?

thefab444

Established Member
If UKIP or the BNP ever do well in a General Election... I'm leaving. Will use my right to work anywhere in the EU whilst we are still a member.

Were I able to vote, I'd vote Lib Dem.

Mintona

Established Member
If you are registered they should have sent you a card with the location - or do you mean you don't know where the place they have put on the card is?

It is Dean Row Community Centre, but I can't find the bloody place! Just been out for a drive looking for it, no joy!

If UKIP or the BNP ever do well in a General Election... I'm leaving. Will use my right to work anywhere in the EU whilst we are still a member.

Ubergreed.

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It is Dean Row Community Centre, but I can't find the bloody place! Just been out for a drive looking for it, no joy!
That's pretty poor - you would have thought they should have at least put a postcode on it or provided a map!

Mintona

Established Member
That's pretty poor - you would have thought they should have at least put a postcode on it or provided a map!

Yeah, you'd think so. But nope. Ah well. Gonna go out for a bit of shopping soon, I will have another look.

Geezertronic

Established Member
They put a mini map on the back of the cards that we have? They should do it everywhere so it encourages people to vote.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
I have never voted, and never complained about MP things or whatever.

I am disconnected with the world sometimes, and mostly don't understand it all. Unfortunatley there's not much I can do about it, its part of my medical condition, being difficult to understand

Mintona

Established Member
I found it. Just near Tesco. Didn't have a clue what the building was until I saw it had "Polling station" on a board outside. Voted Conservative, but it doesn't really matter anyway.

Daimler

Established Member

Were I able to vote, I'd vote Lib Dem.

Agreed also. I haven't voted yet, but will be doing later on...

I still don't know who for!

CCF23

If i could vote,being only 14, i would vote Conservative although i agree with some view and policies of the BNP and UKIP i think (the BNP more so) go too far with their views. Hopefully Labour will get a bashing.:lol:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If i could vote,being only 14, i would vote Conservative although i agree with some view and policies of the BNP

What, like the racist ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.