• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Electric train Liverpool-Manchester

Status
Not open for further replies.

Green Lane

Hi all,

Very fortunate that back in January I happened to have booked this week off work. So with the class 319s starting in passenger service from last Thursday (If I remember correctly). Tuesday 10th March was the day I would take the trip to Manchester and back.

My full album for the day is at https://www.flickr.com/photos/121958154@N04/sets/72157650842833307/ although it is mostly non-rail as I tend to photograph many buildings etc.. for Wikipedia among other things.

I left the house relatively late around 09:45am for a walk down to Birkenhead Central, where after waiting about three minutes I took a train to Liverpool Central. On the way I observed the progress of the renovation at Hamilton Square station, which I hadn't seen for a few weeks. (Although I work in Liverpool, on a day-to-day basis I usually get the bus). Looks like a lot more work had been done since last visit.

Next I had about an hour and a half to walk around Liverpool city centre, which I used to bag a few more grade II listed buildings for Wikipedia, mainly in the Duke Street/Chinatown area. Brilliant weather for it, but had to wait a bit to get some clear shots since as Hanover Street is currently closed due to roadworks, a lot of traffic is being diverted up Duke street including a number of frequent bus routes.

Strolled in to Lime Street main line station at around 11:30 or therabouts where I bought a £12.30 day return to Manchester stations.

About a minute after buying my ticket, it was announced that there was a platform alteration, my train the 12:15 to Manchester Airport had changed from platfrom 1 to platform 2. Not being able to see the train from this part of the concourse, I momentarily feared the electric service might have been cancelled.

However, my fears were immediately allayed as I went straight to platform 2 and took my first photo of a 319 (319363) at Lime Street:-

16606009789_bdddb959c7_c.jpg

I then walked down to the front of the train (see album for more shots):-
16790950872_6b87437b96_c.jpg

Around about this time a 4-car mixed-set DMU (156+142?) also came in to platform 2 but then went out again at 12:00. It was right up to the very end of the platfrom more or less.

The 319 set off about three minutes late by my reckoning, but we really did shoot through Broad Green and Roby at the sort of speeds the like of which I have never personally witnessed on the line. It was noticeably fast. (Well maybe the Blackpool North service also goes this fast too, but that one doesn't have to stop at Wavertree Tech Park, whereas the 319 currently does).

Then, a quick interior shot as some passengers vacated their seats in the vicinity of Newton-le-Willows:-
16790836721_f8d1502585_c.jpg

On arriving bang on time, I alighted at Manchester Oxford Road where I took some more photos of the unit:-
16604570600_44c21fde08_c.jpg

It was initially cloudy in Manchester as the 319 had overtaken the eastward-moving sunny weather. However, the clouds would soon blow away to the east and by mid-afternoon it would also be sunny in Manchester too.

In Manchester, I had about three and a half hours on this occasion, so first thing was a stroll over to a station I have never visited on foot before - Ardwick (The least used station in the City of Manchester? I read that somewhere, not sure if it still true!). The Entrance on Blind Lane:-
16790644522_6975eb0a2f_c.jpg

A couple of rail workers were just leaving as I arrived and they mentioned to me about the high frequency of trains passing by. They were completely correct about that. I think there must have been a train passing about every 30 seconds either through the station or on the adjacent tracks. In fact two trains passed me simultaneously as I approached the plaftorm. I like it here!

16606683278_e7e12788e7_c.jpg

I sat in those seats in the background to eat my sausage roll. Whilst doing so a Piccadilly-bound 142 waited in the platform for a minute or so (on a red signal).
Also another Northern electrics service went past whilst I was at Ardwick. Again it was 319363:-
16794204295_fa9b6e2f44_c.jpg

After about probably 15 minutes at Ardwick and many passing trains later, I embarked on the rest of my planned walk for the day to the univeristy of Manchester, plus some streets in the city centre I had not visited before.

Finally, I nipped across the Irwell for a few snaps in Salford before walking to Piccadilly via the Arndale Centre.

Caught the same unit 319363 on the 16:55 from Piccadilly platform 14 back to Lime Street (After seeing the ATW loco-hauled/slam door stock stop there a few minutes earlier - that was nice to see).
Alas did not photo the above since it was approaching peak time and a little crowded on the Piccadilly through platforms.

I did deliberately sit in a seat more or less directly under the pantograph on the way back for the enjoyment of the electrical sound effects, which did not dissapoint.

Finally Merseyrail train back from Lime Street low level to Conway Park and then the short walk home, where I got back for about 18:15 or so.

Overall a great, enjoayble day. Everything ran like clockwork and of course great to ride on the 319 twice.

Hope you enjoyed reading! :D

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Reddish South is by FAR the least used station in Greater Manchester (except Denton). Ardwick has its uses for the Siemens 185/350 depot, whereas RDS's one train per week on a Friday morning is far from useable!

Green Lane

Reddish South is by FAR the least used station in Greater Manchester (except Denton). Ardwick has its uses for the Siemens 185/350 depot, whereas RDS's one train per week on a Friday morning is far from useable!

Thanks for the speedy correction. Sorry my mistake, I am pretty sure it was Manchester I read as in the City of Manchester, not sure why I typed Greater Manchester!

I have corrected this now. In fact it was Wikipedia where I read this, so stiil not 100% sure if it is factually correct.

Indeed, I posted my previous trip report to Reddish South and Denton on these very forums. :D

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sounds like you had a great day out, and good to hear positive views on the excellent 319s! Looking forward to seeing the 319s in the flesh at Lime Street next month, all being well!

Established Member
Green Lane:2105215 said:

Thanks for the speedy correction. Sorry my mistake, I am pretty sure it was Manchester I read as in the City of Manchester, not sure why I typed Greater Manchester!

I have corrected this now. In fact it was Wikipedia where I read this, so stiil not 100% sure if it is factually correct.

Indeed, I posted my previous trip report to Reddish South and Denton on these very forums. :D
I was stood at Piccadilly whole reading it waiting for the Liverpool train as well!
A 185 to Warrington though, but 319363 did pull in while I was waiting!

Green Lane

Sounds like you had a great day out, and good to hear positive views on the excellent 319s! Looking forward to seeing the 319s in the flesh at Lime Street next month, all being well!

Thanks, yes I like the 319s, but then again I like pretty much all trains. :lol:

It is good though to see the long-time fully electrified Lime Street station now being used a little bit more towards its full potential. First time I've ever seen the contact wire at platform 2 being used, so there is that novelty factor.

I am sure you will enjoy your next trip to Lime Street!

I was stood at Piccadilly whole reading it waiting for the Liverpool train as well!
A 185 to Warrington though, but 319363 did pull in while I was waiting!

Good stuff, yes 363 is the only one I have seen so far. Hopefully we will get to see some of the others in the not too distant future. Cheers!

Kristofferson

Now there's what sounds like an enjoyable, varied day out :) good to see some photos as well.

The 319s look a lot better than they used to on Thameslink!

Last edited:

Green Lane

Now there's what sounds like an enjoyable, varied day out :) good to see some photos as well.

The 319s look a lot better than they used to on Thameslink!

Thanks, yes I always enjoy taking the photos and also visiting places beyond the rail journey itself.

As for the 319s, indeed I have to say a superb job has been done with the "refresh" of these trains. You can practically see your face in them, they are that shiny.

Also, I forgot to thank the forum members who posted the times of the initial electric services in the "Manchester - Liverpool Electrification" thread along with the fact that they run weekdays only at present. Without this info I would have almost certainly have travelled on a DMU instead. The info proved to be spot on! So thanks all for that. :D

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Can only echo what everyone above has said, a most enjoyable & interesting read and great shots to accompany it, thanks for posting :)

Green Lane

Can only echo what everyone above has said, a most enjoyable & interesting read and great shots to accompany it, thanks for posting :)

Thanks for the reply. It is really enjoyable to make a short trip report, even when not travelling too far. It's amazing how many stations even in the local region I still haven't been to. Just wish I had time to write up more of my daytrips!

Bring on additional 319 services, and weekend services as well.

They look quite smart in Northern colours

Yes I agree it will be great to see more of the 319s in service and also they have indeed been made to look really smart in the new livery. I will certainly be travelling on them more once they are introduced on weekend services too.

tfesully

First time I've posted on the forums. And just to communicate overdue recogntion to Greenlane for his infrequent but always stimulating posts. The trips on the Wirral from a year or two ago were great travelogues

Green Lane

First time I've posted on the forums. And just to communicate overdue recogntion to Greenlane for his infrequent but always stimulating posts. The trips on the Wirral from a year or two ago were great travelogues

Welcome to the forums and thank you for the kind words. I am glad you enjoyed the trip reports! :)

fowler9

Established Member

I would like to second that. Those Wirral trip reports were brilliant. A place so close to where I live but seldom go. Loads of great photos and interesting facts. Glad you enjoyed the 319's. I enjoyed my first trip a week ago today when I went to watch the aircraft at Ringway.

Green Lane

I would like to second that. Those Wirral trip reports were brilliant. A place so close to where I live but seldom go. Loads of great photos and interesting facts. Glad you enjoyed the 319's. I enjoyed my first trip a week ago today when I went to watch the aircraft at Ringway.

Thanks for the comments! Yes I was almost tempted to travel all the way to the airport myself on the 319, instead opting to walk to Ardwick on this occasion. Although I had gone for a stroll around the airport (and walked on to Shadowmoss) late last year after the Metrolink Airport Line opened. That was my first time ever at Manchester Airport and although I knew it is a large airport, it was even larger than I had expected. It is great if you want to see some planes, trams, trains and even buses all in one go. No doubt I will be going back again at some point. Cheers!

Last edited:

fowler9

Established Member
Thanks for the comments! Yes I was almost tempted to travel all the way to the airport myself on the 319, instead opting to walk to Ardwick on this occasion. Although I had gone for a stroll around the airport (and walked on to Shadowmoss) late last year after the Metrolink Airport Line opened. That was my first time ever at Manchester Airport and although I knew it is a large airport, it was even larger than I had expected. It is great if you want to see some planes, trams, trains and even buses all in one go. No doubt I will be going back again at some point. Cheers!

Just thinking on the weather on the 10th was amazing. I was gutted, I asked for an early dart and couldn't get it. My rest day after working the weekend was the 11th which was not quite so good. Ah well. :D Manchester Airport is very big these days. Sadly on my trip I had been on lates the day before so got up pretty late. All the trans atlantic heavies and the ones to the Emirates had already left and I was on an early the next day so I had to head home before the later heavies flew. I saw a couple land though. The architecture in Manchester is beautiful, nearly as good as that in Liverpool, ha ha, always worth a visit.

Green Lane

Just thinking on the weather on the 10th was amazing.

Yes, Tuesday was the one good day, weather-wise over the last week. :)

I now realise I never made a "master thread" for all of my previous trip reoprts like some other members have done. To be honest in my case it wouldn't really work as I post so infrequently, chances are any such thread would become locked before I added the next trip report! :D

So instead, for anyone who may possibly be interested, here are all of my previous trip reports in one place:-

Glasgow trip

Kirkby Branch Line

Heswall

Reddish South to Denton - trip report

Ellesmere Port - Helsby line revisited

Chester to Runcorn (via Halton Curve) - trip report

Metrolink trip to Bury Bolton Street

East Didsbury Trip

Wirral trip reports

Sadly, I didn't seem to have time to write up my London trip reports (thought I did!) when I took trains on short journeys from many of the London termini. That took about three LM Great Escape tickets over three separate trips. Also my daytrips to the Pontefract stations, Cleethorpes, Hereford, Bristol & Stratford-upon-Avon, Cambridge etc.. seem to be absent without trace. I guess after the longer trips I was generally too tired the following day!

So mainly just local/regional ones listed above and with the exception of the Glasgow one which was the longest daytrip I had ever done distance-wise. Can't believe though it wasn't far off five years ago now when I did that one. Time certainly flies!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.