• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Electric trains over the Ordsall chord

Status
Not open for further replies.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I believe the Ordsall chord is electrified - but its service on opening was an extension of an existing Calder Valley service (diesel) through to Deansgate and Oxford Road, which was a temporary state of affairs until the current arrangement with the TPE Manchester-Redcar services (also diesel) could be implemented.

So does this mean that no electric passenger train has ever used the Ordsall Chord in service? What about empty stock movements, freight, maintenance etc.?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HST43257

Established Member
I believe the Ordsall chord is electrified - but its service on opening was an extension of an existing Calder Valley service (diesel) through to Deansgate and Oxford Road, which was a temporary state of affairs until the current arrangement with the TPE Manchester-Redcar services (also diesel) could be implemented.

So does this mean that no electric passenger train has ever used the Ordsall Chord in service? What about empty stock movements, freight, maintenance etc.?
Was there not a time in 2019ish that the full 5tph was running across the TPE NE network, with 2tph TPE around Ordsall including 1tph 802 from NCL?

If this is the case I assume they were on electric by this point but no clue

Geeves

Established Member
The Airport train has been an 802 plenty of times, not to mention all the diversions since it opened. Also for a while a 319 would finish at Oxford Rd and then come around the chord to stable in the sidings at Vic. A 769 came round from Oxford Rd on electric this week too :)

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
The Airport train has been an 802 plenty of times, not to mention all the diversions since it opened. Also for a while a 319 would finish at Oxford Rd and then come around the chord to stable in the sidings at Vic. A 769 came round from Oxford Rd on electric this week too :)
Class 802s worked regularly over the chord in electric mode before the TPE timetable was slimmed down - Airport Newcastle services (but not Redcar).

Last edited:

jfollows

Established Member
There was once a late Wilmslow-Manchester Victoria EMU but I think no longer in the timetable.

route101

Established Member
I've been on a TPE 802 from the Airport to Victoria that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.