• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Electric Trucks and Lorries For Use Making Deliveries in Towns and Cities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annetts key

Established Member
This week, the Fully Charged Show on You Tube features the fully electric Volta Zero 16 tonne delivery truck.

Have a watch here:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
This week, the Fully Charged Show on You Tube features the fully electric Volta Zero 16 tonne delivery truck.

Have a watch here:

That’s a very impressive thing. I really like the way it’s driven from a lower central position with equal visibility all around too.

miami

Established Member
That truck really should have a groinal attachment.

But yes, this type of technology, combined with overhead electric charging on motorways, converts the vast majority of freight to fully electric, and it's great to see progress rather than naysayers.

squizzler

Established Member
According to a new report commissioned by Possible the real future of urban delivery is by cargo bike. Better still they are available now:

Using GPS data, we compare routes taken by Pedal Me cargo bikes in London with routes that vans would have to take to deliver the same parcels.
We find that the service performed by the Pedal Me freight cycles is an average of 1.61 times faster than the one performed by van. Moreover, in the 98 days of work sampled, Pedal Me helped save a total of 3,896 Kg of CO2 and over 5.5 kg of NOx, showing that cargo bikes can serve their customers better than a van without generating many of the externalities currently associated with urban freight.

The Tesla Volta lorry seems to fit into the new fashion by logistics operators to consider delivery vehicles of the correct size for the rounds they perform and gods to deliver, in conjunction with rail freight to consolidate the trunk haul.

miami

Established Member
in conjunction with rail freight to consolidate the trunk haul.

Which passenger lines do you propose to close to cope with the extra freight?

In 2019 there were 154 billion tonne-kms transported by road. 66% of this, or 100 billion tonne-km, is on the strategic road network.

There's 15bn tonne-km done on rail.

To move just half of that strategic road traffic to rail, 50 bn tonne-km, you'd have to more than quadruple rail freight.

Status
Not open for further replies.