• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Electricity supply- no idea who provider is

Status
Not open for further replies.

adc82140

Established Member
An odd one this. Long story short I have won a court case against British Gas for failing to pay me the required export tariff from my solar panels. They failed to register my smart meter properly.

British Gas have now attempted to transfer my account between two of their divisions, which has resulted in the closure of my electricity account. They have transferred gas to a new account without issue. But there is no new account for electricity. I have just been issued a closing statement for the old account, but I have no new one. I've tried calling customer services, but they say electricity wise I don't exist.

Is there any way I can find out who exactly is supplying my power?

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

skyhigh

Established Member
You can choose who supplies your energy. This company is known as your energy supplier and they bill you for the energy you use. If you're not sure who your energy supplier is, you'll need to contact your energy network operator who can help you to find out.

Your energy network operator can can also help you with things like connecting your property to electricity or gas and moving your meter.

Hope that helps.

Gaelan

It’s worth noting that your “electricity supplier” is purely an accounting notion - you’re connected to the grid, and get power, even if the records are such that nobody thinks they’re your supplier.

tomuk

Established Member
Thanks both. I will call SSEN in the morning.
Do you know your MPANs for supply and export? The MPAN or meter point administration number is a unique number given to every supply (or export) point on the network. It will start 20 if your are in the Southern area it should appear on bills and other correspondance. Also useful in trying to identify your supply is the meter serial number printed on the face of the meter eg S23G12345.

A full explanation is given here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meter_Point_Administration_Number

Last edited:
If you don't know who your supplier is, receive no bills or request for payment from any company and you don't hear from anyone for a long period of time.....?

gswindale

If you're a residential customer and you haven't been billed due to your supplier's error, they can only go back 12 months (or at least they could when I had this issue 16 years ago!) Which meant in our case that the supplier in question couldn't bill us as by the time they'd managed to sort out the error on the account that had stopped them setting us up, we'd already switched and had been with a new supplier for over a year.

It was only when the red letter addressed to the previous owners arrived that they did anything about it!

tomuk

Established Member
If you're a residential customer and you haven't been billed due to your supplier's error, they can only go back 12 months (or at least they could when I had this issue 16 years ago!) Which meant in our case that the supplier in question couldn't bill us as by the time they'd managed to sort out the error on the account that had stopped them setting us up, we'd already switched and had been with a new supplier for over a year.

It was only when the red letter addressed to the previous owners arrived that they did anything about it!
Yes that was a new rule Ofgem brought in prior to that and is still the case for commercial supplies there is no 'statute of limitations'.

Elecman

Established Member
It is possible for the original supplier to ask the DNO MPAS office to Logically Disconnect an MPAN if the meter reader hasn’t located a meter for some considerable time. Hence you can have in effect an orphaned meter with no active MPAN so it cannot be traded. Over the last few years I have located about 30 such supplies on the railway, and had to get a supplier to ask the DNO to create a new MPAN and then change the meter to get the meter technical details applied to the newly created MPAN so that the supply could be billed.

Statute of Limitation does apply even to Commercial supplies and i have had to apply that to other supply gap sites where the supplier stopped billing an active supply for in some cases 10+ years with agreement on straight line consumption for the whole of the gap period and then only allowing them to bill at the correct rates of that flat consumption for each of the respective 6 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.