• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Elizabeth line reliability issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes it is. Announcements that Oyster is not valid should not be played on services that operate wholly within the Oyster area.
Given that it is possible to connect from the same platform (especially given that the Reading services come from Abbey Wood), it seems perfectly reasonable to me to make this announcement.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

setdown

It's not the driver stopping it. The PIS stops itself and pauses before announcing the next station.
That's odd, every train I'm seems to cut it off at a different time, as if it was being cancelled manually.

Samzino

Had some delays today due to a broken down train heading on recovery mode from custom house. Service took a while to recover and then as it was an issue around Hayes and Harlington - Paddington further delayed things.

Minimum numbers at Bond Street and A fire alarm evacuation at Farringdon has added to the fun today.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Yes it is. Announcements that Oyster is not valid should not be played on services that operate wholly within the Oyster area.

But it's not the most pressing issue when we see constant calamitous breaks in the service to Heathrow (and elsewhere), ever since the last upgrade. It's starting to get into aviation articles about Heathrow, it was never an issue on the Piccadilly, the HEx used to go through periodic patches, but not like we have had since the integrated Liz running started.

And I don't want to say 'told you so' about the auto-reverse at Westbourne Park inevitably giving trouble, but ...

For goodness sake, there are three reversing sidings there. Surely that is adequate for the drivers to walk through a walk-through train and set up the opposite cab without this over-clever silly stuff.

It should be attached to Maidenhead and Reading services only. But it will advertise it within the Oyster area - you’d be surprised by how many people try to use Oyster and Slough. It might be added to more since services now run through.

As for auto-reverse, 24tph peak can’t be achieved without due to the turn around times. The other alternative would be double staffing the trains but you’d need a load more drivers to do it. Also provision should all trains have to be cancelled further West to turn them back (even though in reality they would be sent to Old Oak Common)

Last edited:

DC1989

Why do these new trains break down so much? I can't remember ever being delayed for hours on a district line (for example) at Barking because a train broke down at South Kensington

Samzino

Why do these new trains break down so much? I can't remember ever being delayed for hours on a district line (for example) at Barking because a train broke down at South Kensington
Well tbh they aren't as new as some think. Still about 6 to 7 years old and most of it is software. They're a frankenstien of a unit in that the software base was built on older electrostar software mixed with all the needed safety systems for 3 signal system operation and a the general requirements for COS running. Unlike the 720s and subsequent who got the latest software base for the actual train.

A lot of the issues are coupled are that part of that software is also outsourced so there are a few niggles that will be ironed out hopefully. Don't forget they still have to in that time of bug fixing be upgrading the units software too with updates. Was told by a tech this would all take 1 year or so.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

It’s not so much the train - although this particularly one yesterday failed over and over again, but the subsequent recovery from that, especially when the train fails at a major junction where all trains run through. As to why, well it’s a great question that I’m sure Alstom, Siemens & TfL are seriously looking into. It’s also often not a small failure but one where Plan A, B, C have failed. 345s are incredibly complex in their software which is a major issue, not to mention the various signalling modes they transition through - this was of course a major reason why Crossrail was delayed so the underlying problems which much lessened still exist to some degree.

Yesterday though the GEML didn’t fair too badly.

If you have a major infrastructure failure at say Tottenham Court Road for start of service and an hour so afterwards (this morning), you’re easily looking at 3 hours of delays as services are held in depots and need to be reinstated methodically after decimating the central section where all trains are supposed to run through. It’s a tube style service on heavy rail, not an easy proposition.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Part of the issue is transitioning between the various signalling systems. This is still an issue on the sub-surface lines of LU although not as pronounced any more given trains on the Met and District lines are only changing over once.

From a Control point of view you have the separation of infrastructure and operations which doesn’t really work on a metro/rapid transit service. This is then further complicated by the inexperience of both control teams who seem to apply an approach which again is not really suited to a high-frequency Metro service. An example of how a simple incident (e.g. a train sitting down in the Cos on the Westbound) can lead to a full suspension, I have witnessed a few times in the past year. This saw trains sitting down in platforms back to Abbey Wood, with trains then being held in platforms on the Eastbound also. A train then arrives at Whitechapel with nowhere to go; now causing a suspension of the Eastbound toward Stratford. On the Underground, Service Control would typically either divert the train to the other branch (not an option here as NR would be unable to accept it due to no paths avaliable), or detrain it and start stacking them up in the tunnel. Unfortunately in all instances I’ve seen, the train is just left there.

This is all compounded by a rule book, which whilst supposedly bespoke to the central operating section, takes most of its principles from the RSSB rule books used on the Main Line.

Samzino

Looks like a Swan or Big duck has decided to block a train(9R76). Quite a funny addition to the delays.

1688038354220.png

Update 12:52: Swan has so far held the service back 34mins and counting.

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Looks like a Swan or Big duck has decided to block a train(9R76). Quite a funny addition to the delays.

View attachment 138271

Update 12:52: Swan has so far held the service back 34mins and counting.
And MTR are trying to cover it up with the service still only advertising Minor delays on the Shenfield branch bexusee of the earlier signalling issue at TCR.

Samzino

Wonder if passengers would find it funny that they're being held hostage by a swan.
And MTR are trying to cover it up with the service still only advertising Minor delays on the Shenfield branch bexusee of the earlier signalling issue at TCR.
They will because saying a severe delay doesn't bold well penalty wise. They'll try keep it like that till its too far gone which honestly its getting close to the hour mark now. Well at least this still shows that Swans hold the majority rule.

Problem is that in saying minor delays it seem they aren't going into the contingencies fully which would at least have kept part of the cos running.

Last edited:

Samzino

1hr and 5mins
How many minutes now?
Longest Hostage negotiations I've ever seen with a Swan. Passengers on the platforms are getting erratic, they basically want the swan run over at this point but that won't happen as they've been told repeatedly. Swan apparently has Cygnets so that complicates things.

DEFarnes

Wonder if passengers would find it funny that they're being held hostage by a swan.

They will because saying a severe delay doesn't bold well penalty wise. They'll try keep it like that till its too far gone which honestly its getting close to the hour mark now. Well at least this still shows that Swans hold the majority rule.

Problem is that in saying minor delays it seem they aren't going into the contingencies fully which would at least have kept part of the cos running.
I'm at Stratford now and we are definitely being told over the PA about the Swan.

Samzino

I'm at Stratford now and we are definitely being told over the PA about the Swan.
Yeh its got down by now to the east since nothings really moving our side.

Small Update 13:25 Looks like at Woolwich two trains are going to be turned back to the Depot. I believe the two at Abbey Wood will probably head to the Depot aswell. Nvm that is now a confirmed move as one Abbey train has become 5P98 to plumstead sidings. They'll try and clear the eastbound for possibly I assume bi-directional running.

Thought they'd do that 30mins ago but seems its being done anyway alas.

Last edited:

JN114

Established Member
To be fair to Elizabeth Line, it isn’t really a reliability matter…

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
To be fair to Elizabeth Line, it isn’t really a reliability matter…
I disagree. It highlights the unnecessarily complex nature of the operation with various parties involved, the poor information provided to customers, and the slow speed of incident response.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've just been diverted into Liverpool St High Level on a service that was bound for Heathrow - lots of bemused passengers wondering where to go!

TomG

Seems to be major reliability problems on EL recently, maybe related to the recent software update. 3 failed trains I think today and yesterday.

Also today there was no passenger information systems working whatsoever when I was on it this afternoon, either above the platform doors or in the station entrances, which seems mad given there was live data on RTT available!
Its not unique (passenger info systems not working properly) to those trains. It sometimes happens on the new Greater Anglia trains as well. Over the years on various trains I have seen displays say the wrong destination, wrong stopping pattern and not updating the stops!

I saw an out-of-service 345 in platform 1 at Paddington around midnight last night. I thought they only used high-numbered platforms! (and platforms A & B, obviously)
Maybe it had had a falling out with the other trains and the fat controller had sent it into the tunnels to avoid further conflict with the trains on the upper level!

Samzino

After 1hr and 50mins the reading train that was first held has been reversed into Paddington again. Poor passengers. Line seems to still be part closure / severe delays

Samzino

Says EL services suspended between Abbey Wood and Heathrow.
HX is still running to Heathrow
I assume we'll have ticket accepted on the HEX but that will no doubt make them quite pack. I say good day however, they're getting some heavy action for the first time in a while.

DC1989

The communication on issues certainly needs improvement. Yesterday evening it advertised minor delays between Abbey Wood and Paddington, though it caused severe delays at Stratford going east. Not acceptable.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I disagree. It highlights the unnecessarily complex nature of the operation with various parties involved, the poor information provided to customers, and the slow speed of incident response.

A swan/animal could block a NR line for a long period also. Westbound trains have nowhere to go, especially as Westbourne Park was blocked. It seems a suspension was eventually advertised also.

You’d have to just stack the trains in the tunnel, potentially turn them around back towards Abbey Wood/Shenfield (at that time of day early turn drivers are meant to be booking off so might not be willing & there’s only so many crossovers), use the high level platforms (limited availability) or bin trains off to depots.

The only way to make it less complex would be run it in 3 parts again but the GWML and GEML timetables have changed already and it wouldn’t really what was advertised.

Samzino

Bidirectional running for 9R52 will be heading into woolwich as first service from Abbey Wood on Platform A

Status
Not open for further replies.