• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Elizabeth line ticketing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
Regarding the use of London Terminals tickets on the Elizabeth line, the internal version of the National Rail website now states (my highlighting in the second paragraph):

Tickets with Origin/Destination London Terminals​

Fares for travel to or from ‘London Terminals’ are shown in Journey Planners and your Ticket Issuing Systems.

They are valid to or from any of the National Rail stations shown below served by a route or routes permitted for the relevant journey in the Routing Guide. They do not include travel between these stations on London Underground, Elizabeth line, Docklands Light Railway or London Buses services.

(Note: to forbid travel between Abbey Wood and Liverpool Street this should say something like "travel is not permitted on the central section of the Elizabeth line except on the interavailable route between Stratford and Liverpool Street")
Nothing in "internal" websites can forbid or prevent anything; non-public documents are in no way binding on consumers.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Nothing in "internal" websites can forbid or prevent anything; non-public documents are in no way binding on consumers.

I would imagine at some point a route of something like "Not valid via Custom House" will appear on tickets to London Terminals from the South East if they want to prohibit passengers from using a London terminals ticket on the Liz line.

(I did read somewhere that tickets to "Farringdon" as a destination will get "Via City Thameslink" in the routing field to force passengers on the slower route via City Thameslink (although I suspect someone will be very unlucky to come across an on-train RPI between Abbey Wood & Farringdon)

PeterC

Established Member
Fine, just don't accuse staff of "making things up" when they follow instructions

matt_world2004

Established Member
I would imagine at some point a route of something like "Not valid via Custom House" will appear on tickets to London Terminals from the South East if they want to prohibit passengers from using a London terminals ticket on the Liz line.

(I did read somewhere that tickets to "Farringdon" as a destination will get "Via City Thameslink" in the routing field to force passengers on the slower route via City Thameslink (although I suspect someone will be very unlucky to come across an on-train RPI between Abbey Wood & Farringdon)
Given how prelevent RPIs have been on the western and eastern end . They are probably more likely to run into a RPI on the Elizabeth line than other lines

miklcct

On Moderation
like the one from Reading to Farringdon, routed "Not Underground" which gained validity on the fast trains to Paddington as a result?

greyman42

Established Member
Regarding the use of London Terminals tickets on the Elizabeth line, the internal version of the National Rail website now states (my highlighting in the second paragraph):

Tickets with Origin/Destination London Terminals​

Fares for travel to or from ‘London Terminals’ are shown in Journey Planners and your Ticket Issuing Systems.

They are valid to or from any of the National Rail stations shown below served by a route or routes permitted for the relevant journey in the Routing Guide. They do not include travel between these stations on London Underground, Elizabeth line, Docklands Light Railway or London Buses services.

(Note: to forbid travel between Abbey Wood and Liverpool Street this should say something like "travel is not permitted on the central section of the Elizabeth line except on the interavailable route between Stratford and Liverpool Street")
That makes it sound as if a ticket from York to London Terminals would not be valid from Kings Cross to Moorgate on the Underground when it is. Or have I misunderstood the statement?

Haywain

Veteran Member
That makes it sound as if a ticket from York to London Terminals would not be valid from Kings Cross to Moorgate on the Underground when it is. Or have I misunderstood the statement?
I think it’s saying that there isn’t validity except where there is a specifically expressed inter-availability.

JaJaWa

Established Member
That's a little misleading, Elizabeth Line is toc like any other. As tickets issued at the new stations TVMs make abundantly clear...
No roundel in the background like London Overground tickets? Or do those no longer have that

miklcct

On Moderation
Has anyone tried to buy a ticket between Abbey Wood / any other stations in the South East and London Terminals? If so, what stations are listed as available in the confirmation email?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Has anyone tried to buy a ticket between Abbey Wood / any other stations in the South East and London Terminals? If so, what stations are listed as available in the confirmation email?
The stations listed as available will be purely dependent on the contents of the London Terminals data feed. Which has long been inaccurate and so, despite professing to clarify matters, only adds to the confusion.

Wolfie

Established Member
No roundel in the background like London Overground tickets? Or do those no longer have that
Seems to be mixed on the Overground based on what ticket stock they've loaded. I got a return ticket, one part had a roundel, one didn't.

bakerstreet

Thought I’d post this in relation to some of the understandable confusion - in this thread, and elsewhere.

Confirmation on the status of the Elizabeth line from TfL

• The strike should not affect the new Elizabeth line, which is not a Tube service. However, services may be busier than usual, so check before you travel

Well, I say confirmation.

Many on here probably already know this.

But it is confirmation not on what TfL believes the Elizabeth line actually is, rather it is confirmation on what TfL is certain it is not.

So fortunately the ambiguity can continue in at least some form.

And will leave the general public maybe a little more or a little less confused than they were before!

From https://tfl.gov.uk/campaign/tube-strike#on-this-page-1

alistairlees

Established Member
Thought I’d post this in relation to some of the understandable confusion - in this thread, and elsewhere.

But it is confirmation not on what TfL believes the Elizabeth line actually is, rather it is confirmation on what TfL is certain it is not.

And will leave the general public maybe a little more or a little less confused than they were before!

I was wondering when soneone would spot that!

Kite159

Veteran Member

Although I wonder if some of the stations which are shared with LU will be closed meaning the Liz line trains won't call (i.e. Tottenham Court Road). Similar to Overground trains on the Watford DC line & other locations where the station is run by LU.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Although I wonder if some of the stations which are shared with LU will be closed meaning the Liz line trains won't call (i.e. Tottenham Court Road). Similar to Overground trains on the Watford DC line & other locations where the station is run by LU.
I think they probably have enough staff on their own to be open. There might be some closed corridors, but that's about it.

hkstudent

Established Member
I think they probably have enough staff on their own to be open. There might be some closed corridors, but that's about it.
Yeah, and Elizabeth Line is likely to keep a high priority in keeping it open, as they require minimum extra staff to keep the stations open (as the drivers and customer assistant on the Elizabeth Line side will not be on strike, but only the LU staffs)

matt_world2004

Established Member
Yeah, and Elizabeth Line is likely to keep a high priority in keeping it open, as they require minimum extra staff to keep the stations open (as the drivers and customer assistant on the Elizabeth Line side will not be on strike, but only the LU staffs)
Most stations in the core are staffed by LU staff iirc with the exception of Canary wharf , Abbey wood and Woolwich

JaJaWa

Established Member
Most stations in the core are staffed by LU staff iirc with the exception of Canary wharf , Abbey wood and Woolwich
Paddington isn’t either, it’s the stations with the “round / curvy” design not the “flat / boxy” design that are.

That's TfL's position and so I would expect problems at the barrier line upon trying to re-enter.

But it does not match the position under the NRCoT, namely that if Crossrail forms part of the shortest route, it is no different to any other line, hence break of journey is permitted on a walkup ticket. Accordingly if you were denied re-entry and were told you had to pay an additional fare, that additional fare would be recoverable from TfL.
The internal national rail website now contains the following entry:

Break of Journey​

Break of journey is not allowed on LU/DLR services, nor on Elizabeth line services between Paddington and Abbey Wood, irrespective of the conditions applying to the National Rail leg of the journey, except at jointly served stations on designated ‘inter-available’ routes.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

Break of Journey​

Break of journey is not allowed on LU/DLR services, nor on Elizabeth line services between Paddington and Abbey Wood, irrespective of the conditions applying to the National Rail leg of the journey, except at jointly served stations on designated ‘inter-available’ routes.
Which of course has simply been made up. Still, at least TfL's message is getting through... :s

Wolfie

Established Member

Break of Journey​

A Court wouldn't care in the slightest about internal industry documents.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

Break of Journey​

Completely unenforceable unless they update absolutely every ticket restriction. The Elizabeth Line is a National Rail service subject to the National Rail Conditions of Travel.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Well I think they say basically the same thing as the internal website…
They don't mention any restrictions on break of journey on Elizabeth Line services. Though that would be easy enough to change, if they wanted. I'm sure they'd wave it through with the justification "this simply reflects the practical position"!

miklcct

On Moderation
They don't mention any restrictions on break of journey on Elizabeth Line services. Though that would be easy enough to change, if they wanted.
The "easiest" way to enforce this is to change the NRCoT to exclude Elizabeth line service and refer it to TfL, making it no longer part of National Rail, like excluding onward travel by ship / etc.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
They don't mention any restrictions on break of journey on Elizabeth Line services. Though that would be easy enough to change, if they wanted. I'm sure they'd wave it through with the justification "this simply reflects the practical position"!
Yes, it’ll just get rubber stamped if asked for.

Status
Not open for further replies.