• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Embargo on recruiting new staff in BR 1979/1980?

GP Wilson

Hello
When the Conservative Party won the General Election in 1979, did they place an embargo on British Rail from taking on new employees.
Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WesternLancer

Established Member
Hello
When the Conservative Party won the General Election in 1979, did they place an embargo on British Rail from taking on new employees.
Thanks
In those days I doubt govt would have been that involved in what would have been seen as a matter for the BR Board to decide based on the resources they had. Treasury would have set payment subsidy levels to BR then BR left to make what they could of it.
Not as micromanaged as it has become today.

Do you have reason to think they might have had such a recruitment freeze however?

Gloster

Established Member
I can’t remember any such embargo and can remember some people being taken on to fill vacancies, although that might be just before or after such an embargo. As said above, BR was given an overall budget and left to get on with it, but it is possible that it might have trimmed back a bit in places after listening to the government’s pronouncements. There were always the equivalent of local embargoes in places where a cut in staff was expected: areas where manual signalboxes were being replaced by power boxes, depots that were going to lose a lot of work due to a customer closure, etc.

SargeNpton

Established Member
Embargoes on recruiting staff were BR's own decision. Often in advance of any reorganisations - of which there were many between the late 70s and early 90s.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
There was a strike in the steel industry that left many rail staff at particular locations idle for weeks and hammered BR’s cash flow, leading to a short recruitment freeze.

Not a ‘government decision’.

75A

Established Member
I joined the Southern region as a 'Track Worker' in September 1979 and my seniority date on the footplate was 4/2/80, so no embargo in the Brighton area at that time.

greyman42

Established Member
BREL were recruiting staff at that time and still taking apprentices.