• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Emergency speed restrictions to TSR

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainmania100

Established Member
Hi
How long does it take for an ESR to be changed to a TSR, of ever / necessary?

My understanding was that if an ESR was still active by the next weekly operating notice, the ESR gets changed to a TSR and included in the WON.

But I've had a ESR dalek erected on my local line for weeks and it hasn't been changed.

Only reason I ask is I'm receiving TSR data from the network rail open data platform for my local area (Kent Sussex) for personal interest reasons, and the file is empty each week (whereas other routes like Anglia are well populated).

Interest in knowing under what conditions an ESR is changed to a TSR because ESRs aren't included in the files and presumably not in the WON either

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Boodiggy

Simply depends on how quickly the people responsible for the ESR submit the required paperwork to have it published in WON as a TSR.

theironroad

Established Member
I'd imagine there is a timeframe laid out in the regs, but its fair to say that some ESRs stay in place for months and don't convert to TSRs.

mr_moo

TSRs need to be formally published, and any train delays caused by the TSR need to be calculated. There's a period of consulation required before a TSR gets approved, and routes have allowances built into the timetables to allow for a certain number of seconds or minutes per route section for TSRs to be implemented without affecting overall timetabled running times.

ESRs are supposedly just that - 'Emergency', and thus just get implemetned when needed for something that's broken etc, with trains suffering delays potentially and not beng able to do much about it.,

This all means of course that the creaton of a TSR needs careful thought, and thus the process of conversion from ESR can take time. It also means that, occaisonally, it's easier to leave an ESR as an ESR if someone can't be bothered to go through the process of conversion, and/or knows it will be rejected, so they don't bother in the first place, but that's never happened of course because that's not how the system works...

There is indeed a timeframe but it's not quite as simple as changing when published of course.

dk1

Veteran Member
Can be months if at all in certain cases. Usually no more than a week or two if it’s known to be ongoing & published in the WON.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Indeed,but that requires a 'Network Change' process to be followed, which has no maximum timeframe for acceptance... (I know, I'm trying to get one agreed right now...)
There are ways you can force it through. The Network Change coordinator should be able to help you there.

Status
Not open for further replies.