• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Emirates from Manchester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering if anyone has flown via Emirates from Manchester.

Planning Manchester to Adelaide via Dubai in Feb 2015

Travelling economy

Just wondering what the conditions are like, seating, entertainment system and is their power to charge mobiles?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DownSouth

Established Member
I can't give any Emirates-specific advice, but I am a local and can advise that Adelaide Airport is a pretty efficient operation that usually gets the job done right and I'd be amazed if you have any issues there. Taxis from the airport are expensive, as is the 'Skylink' bus, but there is a regular AdelaideMetro (branding of integrated train/bus/tram system) bus route going to/from the city at regular intervals which is much cheaper but not as well advertised.

Feb 2015 in Adelaide = Cricket World Cup? Even if you're not coming for the cricket, January-March is the best time to fly in as there are volunteers stationed at the airport to help with advice for local transport and so on whenever there are major events like the Tour Down Under, Clipsal 500, Womadelaide and so on.

Feel free to hit me with any questions you have about getting around when you're here, decent places to eat out, or about Adelaide Oval if you're coming for the cricket – I go to lots of cricket and AFL matches there and I've worked behind the scenes on the stadium multimedia services during cricket season.

Jonny

Established Member
It depends on the 'plane that you get - Manchester to Dubai should get an Airbus A380 which is pretty good even in economy but Dubai to Adelaide might get a Boeing 777 which is a bit more compact; Still OK, just a little cramped. Power sockets - definitely on an A380, probable on a 777, at worst when I was on an Emirates 777 I needed an adapter (I happened to have one; the cabin crew might be able to help). Seatguru will make it clear though once you know the 'plane type.

Established Member
Jonny:1879302 said:
It depends on the 'plane that you get - Manchester to Dubai should get an Airbus A380 which is pretty good even in economy but Dubai to Adelaide might get a Boeing 777 which is a bit more compact; Still OK, just a little cramped. Power sockets - definitely on an A380, probable on a 777, at worst when I was on an Emirates 777 I needed an adapter (I happened to have one; the cabin crew might be able to help). Seatguru will make it clear though once you know the 'plane type.

3 flights a day do MAN-DXB. Two are 777's. I've just been to Australia on 777s and despite the horror stories you will find online, they are absolutely fine.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I did Manchester to Dubai with Emirates on a 777 (I think - wasn't a 380 anyway) a couple of years ago and most of the clientele seemed to be families, who from what I could gather were interlining on to further east. The return flight was a 380 and far fewer noisy children. So if that's the sort of thing that bothers you, you might want to look at a flight that doesn't make onward connections at Dubai.

The seatback entertainment was distinctly primitive on the 777 and pretty advanced on the 380.

Its A380 Manchester to Dubai and 777 Dubai to Adelaide.

Seatguru is saying no power on the 777 to Adelaide.

1hr 35min connection at Dubai is this easy doable ?

Established Member
[email protected].:1879364 said:

I did it no problem, including duty free

DownSouth

Established Member
The Adelaide flights usually have one of the newest 777-300ER fleet which does have at-seat power according to both the Emirates website and Seatguru.

1:35 at Dubai for an Emirates-Emirates connection should not be a problem unless your flight there is very late and the connecting flight couldn't be held any further because of the Adelaide Airport curfew. This could be far worse – you'd get put on the next Emirates A380 to Melbourne and then a Emirates/Qantas code-share 737 to Adelaide, arriving the following morning instead of late at night.

If you want a longer layover at Dubai, you could pick the previous Manchester-Dubai flight.

Crossover

Established Member
The A380 I think may leave Manchester around 14:30 - certainly that's the working it was on when I photted it a couple if weeks ago :)

Jonny

Established Member

It's a bit tight, but do-able - make sure to go straight over to the area where you're due to take off from, though.

My dad has done this route a couple of times. Wont use any one BUT Emirates now.

Did a similar flight with Qantas LHR to Mel which was OK
The return Syd to LHR A380 was a nightmare my opinion, seating is really cramped.

According to reports Emirates is a tad better I hope hence the shift.

welshpax

Just a bit of advice from someone who uses Dubai Airport a few times a month, your connection may not be doable at the moment. They are doing more work at the airport and a lot of the 777 flights I have had into the airport recently have been using remote stands at the far end of the airport. Even as a Business Class passenger with our own transfer bus it has taken me around and hour to get back to Terminal 1.

Add in the time it is going to take you to get to Terminal 3 and you may be quite tight or even miss the flight.

At least half a dozen flights that I have been on from DXB have left connecting passengers behind over the past few months.

If you need any tips about connecting at Dubai, let me know, both there and Abu Dhabi airports seem to be my second home at the moment!

DownSouth

Established Member
I'd still suggest giving Emirates a call and asking about whether such a connection time at Dubai is likely to be a problem, and then going for it if they advise it should be met.

As I wrote earlier, this is a case where the consequences of a missed connection are fairly minimal – instead of arriving in Adelaide late at night, it would be first thing the following morning after a later international flight and then a domestic hop on a Qantas 737 to Adelaide – remember that all Qantas flights are Emirates code-shares and vice-versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.