• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Employee/Work Shuttles

Status
Not open for further replies.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Don't know if they still run, but the BBC had contracted shuttles between New Broadcasting House and White City Place (formerly the BBC Media Village), and between White City Place and Elstree Studios.

Last tender I can find is from mid-2018 with a proposed 5 year term, with potential for extension for a maximum of 2 years.
I believe that they were both scrapped in 2019.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I had a quick look online for the Ratcliffe on Soar employee buses but couldn't find anything. Before Covid I used to see one picking up at a nearby bus stop.

Established Member
12E is an interesting one. It does work around shift times but it is in the route group with the 12 which runs through the park hourly. It's kind of like the Deeside Industrial Estate 5, it just happens to go through Fradley Park and provide those links (even with the timings), it doesn't go out of it's way to serve the area. I think I would edge onto it doesn't count.
Boots buses, I can't see anything recent for them. I can see stuff for 2018 but nothing more recent. There was a news article last year which Boots replied that they have staff at bus stops in Birmingham to keep people distanced etc. If there is any proof on the internet of the current timetables and route, I am happy to include them. Each route which is included has current online presence. Some of the routes, the only trace of them is on bustimes when the bus tracks doing the route, I am happy to take that as proof but I can't seem to find that either for the Boots buses.
Just had a look for anything on the Boots services and I can't find anything other than the new article and old times. Looking at bus times on vehicle 16 the X11 journey seems to about match the X11 in the old times so they could still run.
16 - YN17 ONH – Midland Classic – bustimes.org

Aictos

Established Member
Can this count on the basis that it runs all day, not just shift times. Does Amazon have a lot of shifts there?

Thank you to everyone for your contributions so far.
If anyone is able to help on some of the 'available for public' situation, that would be a great help. I know that even on some closed buses, people can use them, just the original contractor isn't too keen on the idea or charging a high premium and not advertising it (like Bath Road Shuttle bus having a £6)

Yes it the CX can be added as it runs all day 7 days a week as you can see from the timetable.

Djb1

Bullocks run 2 hospital shuttles in Manchester between Manchester Royal Infirmary and Wythenshawe / Trafford hospitals.

It’s a 3 bus operation at peak times, and can be used by the public off peak.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Crosskeys coaches operate a staff shuttle between Ashford Station and tne Sevington Inland Border Facility, I believe this is a zeelo contract.

Link to timetable: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...0QFnoECCoQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3DjZCOqb2UR5H4USh1Nish
That looks like a Zeelo contract. Is it still running as I thought I did all of the Zeelo ones?

Bullocks run 2 hospital shuttles in Manchester between Manchester Royal Infirmary and Wythenshawe / Trafford hospitals.

It’s a 3 bus operation at peak times, and can be used by the public off peak.

Says it's suspended?

Djb1

That looks like a Zeelo contract. Is it still running as I thought I did all of the Zeelo ones?

Says it's suspended?
It’s the electric cross site shuttle that’s suspended. If you scroll further down the timetables are there. It has been running throughout covid.

Last edited by a moderator:

SeveerYeliab

Says it's suspended?
I can't confim that the posted timetable is correct, although I belive it is but the service is definitely running I saw one of crosskeys' stratas pulling out of the site yesterday with an A4 peice of paper saying Ashford International with the associated Zeelo branding

Flange Squeal

Established Member

MCR247

Established Member
I occasionally see Midland Classic busses parked up in Nottingham by Mount Street at odd times for what I believe is a Boots contract.

I’m not sure who runs them, maybe Skills, but there are Amazon buses to the East Midlands Gateway site, normally ex London presidents. I can’t see anything online about either though.

Also, perhaps slightly different but Boots also contribute to the costs of Nottingham City Transport’s 49 bus route that terminates at its head office and factory site.

cnjb8

Established Member
Can't find anything online for them.

Updated the 103 to 104.

Is the Park and Ride timetable the same now or is that just the old one from 2019?
I trust Sellafield buses are the same as the Walkers Shortbread ones above which have no online details other than just listing towns which the buses serve?

Added the 25
Legal and General Brighton is currently suspended as I think the Leatherhead buses are.

Is it meant to be a staff bus or general public bus? Hmm.

I can't find anything for Amazon Maidstone and Medway. Arquiva I can find a 2016 timetable. Is this the same now and still ran? Similarly the Cambridge bus, I can't find anything recent for it.
Farnborough is now added.
Thames Travel, Milton Park, I would say doesn't count as the buses are all longer distance buses with other main purposes. They are diverted but do so at all times, not just for shifts.
Basingstoke is included.
Is Wessex Water a closed bus or open public bus?
Intercampus buses, is that another topic perhaps which could be looked at? It links employees/workers but at the same time, it's main purpose is for students, staff is just a bonus.
What would you class the 6X as? How much is funded by the NHS? IT looks like a route which has other purposes but is it similar to the Deeside Shuttles in that it is a local bus service but it's primary purpose is the hospitals?

Added. Are the 255 and 355 local bus services which are open for all?

I'll add them to my list. Thank you.

Cheers for them mate.
Do you have any more information on the Menzies bus or the BA staff bus timetables? I can see the routes on a National Express site but nothing more in depth than showing routes.

Swindon Nationwide are closed services aren't they?
Plymouth Citybus 21/21A I don't think I can include as they aren't specific works buses, Just local bus routes which happen to go past the contact centre.
Johnson & Johnson, any information online?
11X, it is a bus company shuttle I guess.
Battersea Power Station, does this still run? Looking online, their website has no reference to it.
Hinkley Point and Sellafield, any route or timetable information online?
Arriva Fastway I think is just coincidence.

Added these. Thank you.

Any details online?

Can this count on the basis that it runs all day, not just shift times. Does Amazon have a lot of shifts there?

Added into the list. Thank you.

Any details online?

I've included the 55 but I am unsure why it runs so often if it's only meant for the warehouses and distribution centres. Seems a bit odd.

Added in. Thank you.

6A, H1 & X3 have just been added.

Vodafone I think I will leave on hold for now until we get some confirmation it's future.

TVP I have included. While it is a business park, the park is a workplace and some kind of work shuttle bus since it's main use is for the workers on site. Green Park has been added as has the 600 for the RIBP.

Bracnkell, I have done a quick search and nothing has really come up for them.

Thank you to everyone for your contributions so far.
If anyone is able to help on some of the 'available for public' situation, that would be a great help. I know that even on some closed buses, people can use them, just the original contractor isn't too keen on the idea or charging a high premium and not advertising it (like Bath Road Shuttle bus having a £6)
It’s private I think so I don’t think there is anything online. I can’t find a photo but have seen it in person
I occasionally see Midland Classic busses parked up in Nottingham by Mount Street at odd times for what I believe is a Boots contract.

I’m not sure who runs them, maybe Skills, but there are Amazon buses to the East Midlands Gateway site, normally ex London presidents. I can’t see anything online about either though.

Also, perhaps slightly different but Boots also contribute to the costs of Nottingham City Transport’s 49 bus route that terminates at its head office and factory site.
Skills only have one ex London President. Do you mean Lothian?

MCR247

Established Member
It’s private I think so I don’t think there is anything online. I can’t find a photo but have seen it in person

Skills only have one ex London President. Do you mean Lothian?
I’m not certain it’s Skills but I thought it was an ex-London president. Maybe it was Lothian.

delt1c

Established Member
When I was a controller at Palmers Green in North London we had one afternoon journey on the 34 to the STC site, which it was ensured was always covered. Interesting point: although I controlled the route I never did travel the routes.

markymark2000

On Moderation
It’s the electric cross site shuttle that’s suspended. If you scroll further down the timetables are there. It has been running throughout covid.
Cheers, I've added it in.

I can't confim that the posted timetable is correct, although I belive it is but the service is definitely running I saw one of crosskeys' stratas pulling out of the site yesterday with an A4 peice of paper saying Ashford International with the associated Zeelo branding
It's already listed. Not one that I had forgotten. Thank you for the operator details.

First Solent operate route QA1 between the Queen Alexandra Hospital and a staff car park at Fort Southwick, albeit temporarily subcontracted to Xelabus to assist with staffing. https://bustimes.org/services/qa1-qa-hospital-nhs-fort-southwick-via-nhs-park-2

In regards to the existing spreadsheet, the contractor for the McLaren to Woking Station interchange-workplace route is Airsym. https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewisbus/51347726544
Thank you, I've added both of those in.

Sorry, I can't find any details about them. Any routes that I include I would like to see some online presence no older than a year.

duncombec

ASD Coaches operate various staff buses for Amazon from Maidstone and Medway, but I don't know precise details of routes.

I can't find anything for Amazon Maidstone and Medway.
Amazon's website for staff buses has been showing "more info coming soon" for two years or more. They are private buses only open to staff, so no need for details to be made public - there aren't even any timetables on the bus stops at the distribution centre - I've checked! Routes do run from Kingsnorth to Chatham (may be a via point for the other two), Maidstone and Gravesend at least.

Kings Ferry operate a shuttle service for students and staff for intercampus travel for the University of Kent.

Indeed, intercampus buses (that include free staff transport) is a big category - there are lots if others in and around London, e.g. for University of Greenwich, University of West London, Kingston University, Imperial College London.

Intercampus buses, is that another topic perhaps which could be looked at? It links employees/workers but at the same time, it's main purpose is for students, staff is just a bonus.
Most are mixed use, Students and staff. There is also a small park & ride from Canterbury Christ Church to Polo Farm (Kings Ferry), and a whole network of buses operated by Centaur for the University of Greenwich (including hybrid i4 coaches to the Medway campus and electric deckers on the London service)

Also, there are some regular services that also provide staff transport such as Arriva's 6x between Maidstone and Pembury hospitals for which there is an NHS travel scheme arrangement. This probably falls out if scope, but I think the service used to be part subsidised for this purpose.

What would you class the 6X as? How much is funded by the NHS? IT looks like a route which has other purposes but is it similar to the Deeside Shuttles in that it is a local bus service but it's primary purpose is the hospitals?
6X is at least part NHS funded, as it replaced a private shuttle service. Currently limited to morning and PM peaks/shift changeover times, which is perhaps telling. The rest of the route has regular services.

There are also various work buses around Heathrow, both contracted to Heathrow itself (operated primarily by Menzies) and the BA staff buses (BA1/2/5, CR1, PR1, P&R) which was (probably still is?) run by National Express.

Do you have any more information on the Menzies bus or the BA staff bus timetables? I can see the routes on a National Express site but nothing more in depth than showing routes.
BA staff buses were run by Kings Ferry, now with Cobra, I believe. No public timetables as private services. I did find a tracking site at one point, but not sure where I found it now (and would only track when buses were in service, obviously).

• Arriva Fastway serves the Sainsbury's and Amazon LCY3 distribution centre by the Dartford Crossing

Arriva Fastway I think is just coincidence.

Arriva fast*track*, just to be pedantic. Go-Coach will also be running a new service AZ shortly. Not sure of the funding for AZ off the top of my head, but I think these are accidental rather than specific.

Crosskeys coaches operate a staff shuttle between Ashford Station and tne Sevington Inland Border Facility, I believe this is a zeelo contract.
Yes - there is also a Zeelo contract (the contractor was Grange Travel, may still be) between Dartford and Ebbsfleet Inland Border Facility.

Sorry, I can't find any details about them. Any routes that I include I would like to see some online presence no older than a year.
Your list, your rules, but it will be incomplete if you adopt this as a marker, at least initially. Many staff buses are just that, for staff. It's the same as many councils don't reveal details of their closed door school contracts, because they are only informed to relevant users.

Where did you find info on the First Essex runs to Amazon Dartford?

markymark2000

On Moderation
BA staff buses were run by Kings Ferry, now with Cobra, I believe. No public timetables as private services. I did find a tracking site at one point, but not sure where I found it now (and would only track when buses were in service, obviously).
The site which has what looks like tracking and stuff is a National Express site so unless the site got moved over with the contract, I trust it is the old site and now Cobra have taken over, nothing is online.

Your list, your rules, but it will be incomplete if you adopt this as a marker, at least initially. Many staff buses are just that, for staff. It's the same as many councils don't reveal details of their closed door school contracts, because they are only informed to relevant users.

Where did you find info on the First Essex runs to Amazon Dartford?
I do get what you are saying however I would say even using the 'must be an online presence' rule, the list is pretty big as companies such as NETS and Zeelo publish timetables and others, like the Bristol AZ1/2/3 I have found through live tracking the buses which shows the routes but no timetables. Many shuttles I think are online somewhat because it's a good employee benefit and it pushes companies green credentials. Some are very closed contracts, others, Zeelo have said you don't need a staff pass however I haven't marked them as public yet as I am hoping someone who has more knowledge than me, will know if the bus stops in the workplaces or outside (of course you don't want to promote it as a public service if the bus drops you inside and someone gets on and becomes a security risk and that side of things kicks off .If it drops outside though and drivers don't care about staff passes, it's fair game).
Yes I am limiting it slightly but even the most hidden buses can have online presence. Even if it's photos on Flickr of the buses running and some basic information available. I am not saying it needs a 300 word essay with full timetables and pick up stops, it's just more helpful for adding the routes and helpful for others who may try to spot or use the buses.

First Essex to Amazon Dartford information is available in the London Service Permit booklet as they have applied for new permits for both routes.
AZ1: https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/lsp/0ed73071/
AZ2: https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/lsp/715289c8/

overthewater

Established Member
The Amazon contract information was on a website called myworkbus.com which has gone a but funny of late, However the information should be on two apps, - one of them being National express solutions.

Last edited:

Stan Drews

Established Member
There are also various work buses around Heathrow, both contracted to Heathrow itself (operated primarily by Menzies) and the BA staff buses (BA1/2/5, CR1, PR1, P&R) which was (probably still is?) run by National Express.

The Heathrow ‘Colleague’ shuttles (to/from the staff car parks) are operated by Transdev Airport Services, who won the contracts from Menzies, early in 2020.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
A number of journeys on Stagecoach Bluebird's 5/6/6A operate via Total Energy's Headquarters at peak times. There's also an additional late evening run on Friday for cleaners. Although the primary reason the 5/6/6A exists is to serve the town of Westhill and not workers buses, I've still posted this example as those journeys that divert are actually subsidised by Total.
Link to Stagecoach Bluebird Westhill & Kingswells Guide

mjc

First Potteries run a service 37 which runs a bizarre route one a day in each direction. It ends in the morning and starts in the evening at a New Look distribution centre timed for their shift changeover so while I have no insider knowledge I assume it’s for their staff, although whether there’s and funding etc in place I have no idea, not have I ever spotted it to see the loadings.

Falcon1200

Established Member
Oxford Bus Company run the 11X from the city centre to the BMW plant (doubling as an Oxford Bus Company staff shuttle)

The 11X runs on a very limited stop basis, very frequently, and uses mainly (but not entirely) the express coaches formerly on the now defunct Oxford/London route. When I used it earlier this year I was the only passenger !

CBlue

There are lots of local work services around Cambridgeshire although the only two that I knew of having online information was the Wellcome Trust's Genome Centre near Hinxton. It operated work services across the county, mostly contracted to Richmond's coaches of Barley. Granta Park nearby also has a shuttle operate to the rail and bus stations in Cambridge, operated by Young's.

volvob12

I’m not sure if it’s already been mentioned but Stagecoach West operator the SevernNet Buzz from Little Stoke to Tesco & Lidl at Severn Beach, which is described elsewhere on the website as a public bus service.

Stagecoach West also operate the public bus services to Aztec West Business Park from central Bristol. It looks as though it’s just the 3X at the moment - https://bustimes.org/services/3x-bristol-aztec-west.

It started as a private Orange staff bus many years ago and expanded to a mini network for the business park under Wessex. More recently under Stagecoach it was the 3A/B/C/X.

First Bristol also operate (although it’s not run since March 2020) the 22 staff bus between Bristol and Computershare at Bedminster Down. There’s only a handful of peak runs.

Last edited:

markymark2000

On Moderation
A number of journeys on Stagecoach Bluebird's 5/6/6A operate via Total Energy's Headquarters at peak times. There's also an additional late evening run on Friday for cleaners. Although the primary reason the 5/6/6A exists is to serve the town of Westhill and not workers buses, I've still posted this example as those journeys that divert are actually subsidised by Total.
Link to Stagecoach Bluebird Westhill & Kingswells Guide
Wow, a lot of buses go there. I have included it.

First Potteries run a service 37 which runs a bizarre route one a day in each direction. It ends in the morning and starts in the evening at a New Look distribution centre timed for their shift changeover so while I have no insider knowledge I assume it’s for their staff, although whether there’s and funding etc in place I have no idea, not have I ever spotted it to see the loadings.
Added in. Thank you.

The 11X runs on a very limited stop basis, very frequently, and uses mainly (but not entirely) the express coaches formerly on the now defunct Oxford/London route. When I used it earlier this year I was the only passenger !
11X is an interesting one. Where do I put it? It's also a thin line as if I include that, do then all other bus operator staff shuttles need including?

There are lots of local work services around Cambridgeshire although the only two that I knew of having online information was the Wellcome Trust's Genome Centre near Hinxton. It operated work services across the county, mostly contracted to Richmond's coaches of Barley. Granta Park nearby also has a shuttle operate to the rail and bus stations in Cambridge, operated by Young's.
I've added the Granta Park one. The Welcome Trust one shows as suspended.

I’m not sure if it’s already been mentioned but Stagecoach West operator the SevernNet Buzz from Little Stoke to Tesco & Lidl at Severn Beach, which is described elsewhere on the website as a public bus service.

Stagecoach West also operate the public bus services to Aztec West Business Park from central Bristol. It looks as though it’s just the 3X at the moment - https://bustimes.org/services/3x-bristol-aztec-west.

It started as a private Orange staff bus many years ago and expanded to a mini network for the business park under Wessex. More recently under Stagecoach it was the 3A/B/C/X.

First Bristol also operate (although it’s not run since March 2020) the 22 staff bus between Bristol and Computershare at Bedminster Down. There’s only a handful of peak runs.
Looking on their website, the Buzz bus has been stopped due to commercial routes. I can find evidence of the Lidl bus as it tracks on bustimes but I can't see anything about the Tesco bus online nor on tracking. Is this one definately still running? IF so, is it with another operator?

Aztec buses are added in.

The 22 I won't add in yet on the basis that it is currently suspended. IF it makes a return, please feel free to repost and I will include it then.

Thank you everyone for helping out with the list, it's really appreciated.

Contains Nuts

The 37 is a commercial route that serves Lymedale Business Park and is open to the public.

Also in the Potteries area is the E1 run by D&G for staff travelling to and from Alton Towers. This runs seven days a week from 5am until 2am with journeys timed around shifts.

Falcon1200

Established Member
11X is an interesting one. Where do I put it? It's also a thin line as if I include that, do then all other bus operator staff shuttles need including?

That's a good question, I'm not really sure why it runs as a public service at all ! Previously I believe the Oxford Bus Co used minibuses for their staff shuttle, why this has been upgraded to a public service with gross over-provision of vehicles is a mystery.

volvob12

Looking on their website, the Buzz bus has been stopped due to commercial routes. I can find evidence of the Lidl bus as it tracks on bustimes but I can't see anything about the Tesco bus online nor on tracking. Is this one definately still running? IF so, is it with another operator?

Aztec buses are added in.

I’ve just had a look and it appears what was the SNB (SevernNet Buzz) now runs as a few specific extensions on the 10 & 12 and the Aztec West to Bristol Parkway link is now a two peak trips each way on the 11.

Last edited:

danm14

Translink Metro route 93 in Belfast, Northern Ireland, may fit the description.

It runs once daily Monday to Friday in each direction, timed for a 9am-5pm working day, providing a service from the City Centre to an office park on Newforge Lane, which is one mile from the nearest other bus stop (for the 8a/b/c service) on Malone Road.

It is officially a public bus, but it always runs with the destination screen either blank or displaying "Private". The entire route is pick-up only on the outward journey. There is no matching set-down only restriction on the return journey, and the route appears on the stop flags and real time display like any other bus to the City Centre - but it will never pick up passengers.

Also, for some bizarre reason, on the outward journey, instead of picking up opposite the city's main bus and railway station like every other bus to South Belfast does, it is instead routed via the back streets behind City Hall and picks up at the Ulster Hall (a concert venue) around 250 yards away from the station. But like every other bus, it does serve the station on the return journey. I can't see any logical reason for this.

Apart from the slight detour on the outward route mentioned above, it follows the 8b/c route between the City Centre and the junction of Malone Road, Balmoral Avenue and Newforge Lane. It then runs the full length of Newforge Lane, whereas the other routes continue on Upper Malone Road then Finaghy Road to Erinvale Estate (8a/b) or Ladybrook Estate (8c)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.