• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Class 170 updates

DB

In what way? It's not like Northern aren't operating their day to day service on very similar routes with classes 156 and 158 (and older-still 150s) with no scrapping in sight.

Indeed - and it's highly unlikely that the 158s will be scrapped anyway. If EMR get rid of them, they will likely end up somewhere else.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DB

I'd bet fifty quid on Northern, TBH :)

Certainly doesn't seem unlikely - although it's not clear what they'd replace. The narrow end doors make them less than ideal for some of the frequent-stop commuter flows which the 150s work (and the 150s are now Northern's oldest units).

Fincra5

Established Member
You need to read the EMR franchise agreement. It is very clear that the units only come if there is a replacement in place for GTR. The wording says "Fleet currently in use by the franchisee of the Thameslink, Southern and Great Northern franchise and must be free to incorporate into the franchise."

Exactly! Wait until GTR announce a replacement before anyone gets excited about 171s going North! The lease my transfer but they could be subleased back until SN have a replacement fleet.

Qwerty133

Established Member
In what way? It's not like Northern aren't operating their day to day service on very similar routes with classes 156 and 158 (and older-still 150s) with no scrapping in sight.
Is it really surprising that units that have spent the vast majority of the last 13 years on the Liverpool-Norwich route and many of which weren't looked after in their previous homes (and were selected by other franchises to get rid of) are mechanically in a worse state than those which spend a good proportion of their time pottering around rural lines or sat on platforms awaiting the peak?

ChrisC

Established Member
Is it really surprising that units that have spent the vast majority of the last 13 years on the Liverpool-Norwich route and many of which weren't looked after in their previous homes (and were selected by other franchises to get rid of) are mechanically in a worse state than those which spend a good proportion of their time pottering around rural lines or sat on platforms awaiting the peak?

I always thought that EMT under Stagecoach made a real good job of refurbishing and maintaining some of the dreadful stock that they inherited. With EMT the trains always seemed clean and well maintained. Have standards fallen since EMR took over the franchise? I would have thought the previous standards would have continued as most of the staff didn’t change. I’m not saying 13 years of intensive heavy use hasn’t taken its toll, I just wondered if standards of maintenance and general cleaning have changed with EMR.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Can I remind posters that this thread is for the discussion of EMR class 170s. If anyone wants to discuss anything else concerning other EMR rolling stock classes then they are welcome to do so elsewhere on the forum.

thanks

Chrisgr31

Established Member
Exactly! Wait until GTR announce a replacement before anyone gets excited about 171s going North! The lease my transfer but they could be subleased back until SN have a replacement fleet.

Yes my reading of "Fleet currently in use by the franchisee of the Thameslink, Southern and Great Northern franchise and must be free to incorporate into the franchise." is that the fleet will only move if it is free to move. We'll know the answer this time next year!

Mariner16

170417 named the key worker last week, the Y has already fallen off one of the ends.

Attachments

• IMG-20201103-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20201103-WA0002.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 172

ashworth

Established Member
170417 just about to depart Nottingham on the 0605 Worksop.

I presume that this unit remained on the Robin Hood Line all day yesterday. I did hear something sounding very different and much louder going up towards Newstead from Linby yesterday evening. Whatever it was did make quite a noise going up that long steady gradient between Hucknall and Newstead.

OTRail

I presume that this unit remained on the Robin Hood Line all day yesterday. I did hear something sounding very different and much louder going up towards Newstead from Linby yesterday evening. Whatever it was did make quite a noise going up that long steady gradient between Hucknall and Newstead.
I’m not surprised - from what I’ve been hearing the ex-Scotrail Eversholt units aren’t necessarily the most reliable...

ashworth

Established Member
I’m not surprised - from what I’ve been hearing the ex-Scotrail Eversholt units aren’t necessarily the most reliable...

These must be about 20 years old by now. They will have been worked very hard on the Highland Main Line to Inverness. Let's just hope they do prove to be reliable and that the East Midlands haven't once more been given stock in poor condition as happened last time around. Why do the West Midlands and so many other areas keep getting new stock for local services, when the East Midlands just get their 20 year old trains returned to them in a poor condition.

OTRail

These must be about 20 years old by now. They will have been worked very hard on the Highland Main Line to Inverness. Let's just hope they do prove to be reliable and that the East Midlands haven't once more been given stock in poor condition as happened last time around. Why do the West Midlands and so many other areas keep getting new stock for local services, when the East Midlands just get their 20 year old trains returned to them in a poor condition.
EMT, in all fairness, worked well with what they had. Some passengers wouldn’t be able to tell by the end of the franchise that almost half of their fleet were beaten up second hand stock. It’s more a case of whether EMR is able to replicate that with their cascaded stock.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Not least in part due to the existence of a devolved regional governing body with transport powers (and equiv predecessor bodies) that can lobby for investment effectively. The inability of the East Mids local politicians and councils to get their acts together in this regard does not help.

ashworth

Established Member
EMT, in all fairness, worked well with what they had. Some passengers wouldn’t be able to tell by the end of the franchise that almost half of their fleet were beaten up second hand stock. It’s more a case of whether EMR is able to replicate that with their cascaded stock.

That's exactly what I was thinking. EMT (Stagecoach) did a fantastic job of refurbishing and maintaining the rubbish stock that they received. If EMR (Abellio) do the same good job there will be no problems. It was just that I am not so sure that this will happen.

OTRail

That's exactly what I was thinking. EMT (Stagecoach) did a fantastic job of refurbishing and maintaining the rubbish stock that they received. If EMR (Abellio) do the same good job there will be no problems. It was just that I am not so sure that this will happen.
Judging by 417’s “nameplate” already wearing off it’s not looking too promising...

Energy

Established Member
I wouldn't get your hopes of given that the Y has already fallen of the Key Worker named 170 although Abellio do spend more money than others.