• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Class 170 updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LowLevel

Established Member
I saw it this morning still white. I believe 207/208 are also white

I'm not sure if this is mentioned but on 170419 I noticed that the former first class seats have been reupholstered using the same purple fabric as the other (standard class) seats. It may be the same on the other ex Scotrail units
Yes, the worst seats have been recovered on the 170/4 including the first class compartments.

LowLevel

Established Member
Some information finally available on refurb spec - new Fisa seats in the 170/5s which makes up about half the fleet, repaired, repadded and recovered seats in the /2s and /4s, 5G WiFi, new carpets, refreshes of pretty much everything else, more luggage stacks, new PIS, CCTV and forward facing CCTV fitting and various other background improvements.

Not a complete rebuild, but not too bad either.

158s will get seat covers and foams, new table tops, USB sockets where not already fitted, some repainting of panels etc and an upgrade to the PIS to work from Darwin with the expectation that the fleet will be life expired in the early 2030s.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Some information finally available on refurb spec - new Fisa seats in the 170/5s which makes up about half the fleet, repaired, repadded and recovered seats in the /2s and /4s, 5G WiFi, new carpets, refreshes of pretty much everything else, more luggage stacks, new PIS, CCTV and forward facing CCTV fitting and various other background improvements.

158s will get seat covers and foams, new table tops, USB sockets where not already fitted, some repainting of panels etc and an upgrade to the PIS to work from Darwin with the expectation that the fleet will be life expired in the early 2030s.

158s are good - I hope they'll go another 15-20 years yet.

Jamie153333

Great news and thanks for the update @LowLevel. Been a long time coming as some of the 170/5s are in terrible condition. Is there any indication as to when the 1st unit will go off for refurbishment and the timescales involved to complete the fleet?

Trainman40083

You might wonder if new seats in 170s will be thinner, thereby giving more seats.

Wolfie

Established Member

Sounds good. Any idea why the difference in seat application between the 170 sub-classes?

Halish Railway

Established Member
Sounds good. Any idea why the difference in seat application between the 170 sub-classes?
The Class 170/5s are fitted with the dreadful Lazzerini seats as ordered by Central Trains and Midland Mainline, whereas the other subclasses have the much more well designed Chapman seats as ordered by Southern and Scotrail.

The aesthetics and comfort of the Chapman and modified Fisa Lean seats are pretty similar so will provide a pretty similar experience.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
The Class 170/5s are fitted with the dreadful Lazzerini seats as ordered by Central Trains and Midland Mainline, whereas the other subclasses have the much more well designed Chapman seats as ordered by Southern and Scotrail.
As ever that is your subjective opinion on those particular seats, I personally find them some of the most comfortable on the network but I wouldn't espouse them to be qualitatively the best. As far as I'd be concerned is that seat-window alignment is retained as it is currently excellent on the 170/5s.

Trainman40083

As ever that is your subjective opinion on those particular seats, I personally find them some of the most comfortable on the network but I wouldn't espouse them to be qualitatively the best. As far as I'd be concerned is that seat-window alignment is retained as it is currently excellent on the 170/5s.
I certainly like the 170 seats.

Wolfie

Established Member

The aesthetics and comfort of the Chapman and modified Fisa Lean seats are pretty similar so will provide a pretty similar experience.
Ah, ok, TY. I have to say though that l used the 170s in the Central Trains, London Midland and West Midlands Trains eras and never had issues with the seats (unlike on many other trains). I guess that shows how subjective the whole thing is.

AJDesiro

Ah, ok, TY. I have to say though that l used the 170s in the Central Trains, London Midland and West Midlands Trains eras and never had issues with the seats (unlike on many other trains). I guess that shows how subjective the whole thing is.
They're like armchairs, definitely some of the best seats post-privatization, well-shaped with tonnes of padding. They did get a little bit worse for wear by the end of their tenure in the West Midlands though, presumably, this seat replacement reflects that.

The FISA LEAN isn't too bad, indeed the bases will wear in and provide decent levels of comfort, and the EMR variant may be the best one yet (I've only tried the 196 and 745/755 variants) at least, it should be, given all of the hype EMR have made about it.

One thing I must say about new train seats from the last few years is that they're much cleaner, with fold-down tables/armrests having much less space for dirt to accumulate. Tray tables on the LEAN are brilliant for this reason.

Wolfie

Established Member
They're like armchairs, definitely some of the best seats post-privatization, well-shaped with tonnes of padding. They did get a little bit worse for wear by the end of their tenure in the West Midlands though, presumably, this seat replacement reflects that.

The FISA LEAN isn't too bad, indeed the bases will wear in and provide decent levels of comfort, and the EMR variant may be the best one yet (I've only tried the 196 and 745/755 variants) at least, it should be, given all of the hype EMR have made about it.

One thing I must say about new train seats from the last few years is that they're much cleaner, with fold-down tables/armrests having much less space for dirt to accumulate. Tray tables on the LEAN are brilliant for this reason.
Your last para is very true. I had similar thoughts when sampling the seats in 196s and refurbished 350/1s yesterday....

43102EMR

Established Member
Only thing I can think of is the different leasing companies (at least in the case of the /4s) - not sure why the same seats aren’t being used for the /2s

QSK19

Only thing I can think of is the different leasing companies (at least in the case of the /4s) - not sure why the same seats aren’t being used for the /2s
Could it be because the /2s were refurbished only a few years ago hence no need to give them a full makeover? I have it in my head that they were refurbed in 2019 when with GA (but I stand to be corrected!).

tel

Any knowledge if the EMR 158s are to be put into the purple livery same as the 170s? Thanks

Tel

Trainman40083

Any knowledge if the EMR 158s are to be put into the purple livery same as the 170s? Thanks

Tel
I the original idea was that all the 158s would be replaced with Liverpool to Norwich worked by other operators. And that never happened. We have 158773/774 in interim livery. Not sure any more are planned.

Ethan1852

Tel

I the original idea was that all the 158s would be replaced with Liverpool to Norwich worked by other operators. And that never happened. We have 158773/774 in interim livery. Not sure any more are planned.

Somewhere it was mentioned they are to be repainted when they go for refurbishment.

Killingworth

Established Member
It's good to see 170201 and 170202 wee teamed together on 1R52 0635 Nottingham to Liverpool Lime Street this morning.

Unfortunately they started 22 minutes late and were diverted away from Sheffield and Dore round the Dore chord. Users from Hazel Grove will have had plenty of space on an on time train from there until Liverpool.

Fortunately TPEs 8.08 from Sheffield is 6 car today and on time.

43102EMR

Established Member
170208 is out today, still in GA livery but with the lower valance part now painted in EMR purple for some reason.
Probably to prepare for vinyl application - everything else seems to have been done bar that. Strange how the 170/2s are the only ones not to be repainted, does anyone know why?

Anonymous10

Established Member
Probably to prepare for vinyl application - everything else seems to have been done bar that. Strange how the 170/2s are the only ones not to be repainted, does anyone know why?
If ex TFW and GA I believe they received a full refurb in 2019 , may be the paint is still under warranty.

43102EMR

Established Member
If ex TFW and GA I believe they received a full refurb in 2019 , may be the paint is still under warranty.
I thought that was 2016/17? Anyway, yes I guess that could most likely be the case regardless.

MCR247

Established Member
Yes I believe the update is that it is staying at GTR as a 171