• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR - Trainee Mainline Driver - Kettering (02/02/24)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anglian96

The salary increases to about 62k at STP once qualified for anyone interested

387star

On Moderation
Is Kettering a new depot? Don't loads of thameslink drivers live there?

It asks if you live 45 mins from Kettering in the initial question. If you say 'no' you cannot proceed further with the application

Ducatist4

Be aware that this is for a talent pool so you'll go though the whole recruitment process and potentially sit in the pool for up to two years with no guarantee of a job offer.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

It is not:

Kettering
Traction:
222, 360
Routes:
London - Corby, Nottingham and Derby

I'm also not sure London St Pancras is even included in this vacancy and may be an error - there's 5 references to Kettering and not a single one to St Pancras other than in the Location: London STP & Kettering

Class2ldn

Be a pay cut for TL drivers plus sundays are inside for EMR so with the extra on Sundays for TL puts them on about 70k.
Few on EMR that have sundays outside but used to be anyone starting now goes to sundays inside anyway including qualified drivers, not sure if thats changed at all.

baz962

Established Member
Be a pay cut for TL drivers plus sundays are inside for EMR so with the extra on Sundays for TL puts them on about 70k.
Few on EMR that have sundays outside but used to be anyone starting now goes to sundays inside anyway including qualified drivers, not sure if thats changed at all.
Sundays are inside and at st pancras is around 16 a year. Thameslink Sunday is an extra day a month on average for new drivers and actually takes them to 4.25 day weeks. EMR get 1.5 on all RDW and so if you did 12 extra days a year on average turn length adds around 5k a year.

Class2ldn

Yeah but its still less then TL so you wont find many from TL going to EMR even if the work is better.
Too many grabbers at TL lol.
Sundays are also enhanced for TL so for a 9h54 shift you're looking at £500 for the day.
£50 sign on for rest days as well so its a big money making machine there lol

Be aware that this is for a talent pool so you'll go though the whole recruitment process and potentially sit in the pool for up to two years with no guarantee of a job offer.
I was in the pool for Kettering last time, they extended it to 2.5 years then it expired. Luckily I had my passes which got me in at another TOC

Samzino

Ah so it was for Kettering only, Well that's interesting. Sent my app in thinking it was an error. :D

baz962

Established Member
Yeah but its still less then TL so you wont find many from TL going to EMR even if the work is better.
Too many grabbers at TL lol.
Sundays are also enhanced for TL so for a 9h54 shift you're looking at £500 for the day.
£50 sign on for rest days as well so its a big money making machine there lol
Oh I know. It's for trainees though. All RDW at EMR is enhanced , just booked Sundays aren't. Any 10hr turn is similar on RDW.

whoosh

Established Member
Fairly new. I think it opened around 2020. Training for the class 360 based there was done during the pandemic, I seem to recall.(Kettering also sign 222 Meridians).
Anyone new to the company goes into a Sundays inside link (roster). Kettering is one link and all drivers there have Sundays inside the working week.

Only 1 lateral move to another depot is allowed now at East Midlands Railway (after three calendar years as a productive driver) and if and when you move depots, "an amended contract of employment will be issued in line with the latest contractual terms."
Personally, I'm a little concerned at what's actually been agreed there. If you transferred depots and sick pay or pensions were worse terms for new drivers, would you have to suck it up?

RuralSquad93

This is talent pool only FYI .. The link has vacancies but they are scheduled to be filled by qualifieds transferring in already hired. There are a couple more training courses that have Trainee Drivers for Kettering on them also so it could be a bit of a wait however its a cracking depot ...

baz962

Established Member
Fairly new. I think it opened around 2020. Training for the class 360 based there was done during the pandemic, I seem to recall.(Kettering also sign 222 Meridians).

Anyone new to the company goes into a Sundays inside link (roster). Kettering is one link and all drivers there have Sundays inside the working week.

Only 1 lateral move to another depot is allowed now at East Midlands Railway (after three calendar years as a productive driver) and if and when you move depots, "an amended contract of employment will be issued in line with the latest contractual terms."
Personally, I'm a little concerned at what's actually been agreed there. If you transferred depots and sick pay or pensions were worse terms for new drivers, would you have to suck it up?
I believe it's the same at all depots. Probably only really applies if you are transferring in or out of st pancras and probably only really applies to the London weighting.

Colin1980

I believe it's the same at all depots. Probably only really applies if you are transferring in or out of st pancras and probably only really applies to the London weighting.
There'll be a raft of retirements across the depots once a pay deal is sorted.

baz962

Established Member
There'll be a raft of retirements across the depots once a pay deal is sorted.
I was referring to the post that said if you move depots that you will get a new contract with amended terms and conditions. Nothing is different between the depots except London weighting. No depot that I'm aware of has different sick pay etc.

Established Member
I was referring to the post that said if you move depots that you will get a new contract with amended terms and conditions. Nothing is different between the depots except London weighting. No depot that I'm aware of has different sick pay etc.

People who are in the Sundays outside are required to opt in if they move - the notice period has also been amended AIUI. Won’t really apply to anyone who has joined in the past few years since it moved from EMT to EMR.

baz962

Established Member
People who are in the Sundays outside are required to opt in if they move - the notice period has also been amended AIUI. Won’t really apply to anyone who has joined in the past few years since it moved from EMT to EMR.
Of course. But these trainees will be Sunday inside from the start and so if they qualify and eventually transfer between depots , nothing much will change. The other poster was referring to sick pay and pensions.

Aspen90

The reason it’s for Kettering only and is open to the public (very rare) is that there are a high number of transfers out in to other depots, so Derby and Nottingham as soon as people get their key. So the reason this time they opened it to the public with a 45min limit is that they want local people to show a bit of commitment to the depot and stick around as the level of transfer requests is too high and causing problems. You now have to stay at your base depot as earlier poster mentioned for 3 years before any transfer request will be considered.

RuralSquad93

The reason it’s for Kettering only and is open to the public (very rare) is that there are a high number of transfers out in to other depots, so Derby and Nottingham as soon as people get their key. So the reason this time they opened it to the public with a 45min limit is that they want local people to show a bit of commitment to the depot and stick around as the level of transfer requests is too high and causing problems. You now have to stay at your base depot as earlier poster mentioned for 3 years before any transfer request will be considered.
This isn't quite true. There is only 1 transfer request to move out at the depot.

Whilst it was true when the depot first opened as plenty of people did transfer out due to the fact there was no 'depot commitment' of 3 years service, It's not the case now & hasn't been for a while.

The depot is expanding, 810 training is coming up & there is a want for a talent pool for trainees to cover courses right up to 2026.

Anyone who is successful (& I wish everyone good luck) could be in for quite a wait but it will be worth it when you join us