• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR - Trainee Mainline Driver - Kettering (02/02/24)

baz962

Established Member
This isn't quite true. There is only 1 transfer request to move out at the depot.

Whilst it was true when the depot first opened as plenty of people did transfer out due to the fact there was no 'depot commitment' of 3 years service, It's not the case now & hasn't been for a while.

The depot is expanding, 810 training is coming up & there is a want for a talent pool for trainees to cover courses right up to 2026.

Anyone who is successful (& I wish everyone good luck) could be in for quite a wait but it will be worth it when you join us
I thought it was more than just one. I know of at least two that wanted st pancras , although one of them is leaving to go back to their old toc.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RuralSquad93

I thought it was more than just one. I know of at least two that wanted st pancras , although one of them is leaving to go back to their old toc.
Yeah we've got one going back to their old TOC & one in for another depot. Currently there are none in for ST Pancras transfers nor is there any upcoming interest to my knowledge!

westcoaster

Established Member
Yeah we've got one going back to their old TOC & one in for another depot. Currently there are none in for ST Pancras transfers nor is there any upcoming interest to my knowledge!
I got in with a younger driver (Corby service) who was on his last day. He said he was moving back up north after gaining his key.

Has Kettering become the new Bedford. where lots would come, qualify then disappear.

Established Member
I got in with a younger driver (Corby service) who was on his last day. He said he was moving back up north after gaining his key.

Has Kettering become the new Bedford. where lots would come, qualify then disappear.

Yep. The pay has dropped behind and the work at Kettering isn’t brilliant.

EDIT: albeit I thought Bedford was dead man’s shoes!

Last edited:

Samzino

Those who weren't near Kettering, the knock backs have arrived :E

Received mine unsurprisingly, this fine early morning.

phosphorescent

Received an email today confirming I've moved to the next stage. Good luck to everyone with the results!

Tysoe

Same.

Next stage is EMR assessment day with interviews. Then stage 2 OPC assessments to follow

Aspen90

Know the company inside out - don’t be too overpowering and don’t be too quiet in the group tasks and you’ll be fine. Have good answers ready, with strong evidence based examples.

quantum_field

Know the company inside out - don’t be too overpowering and don’t be too quiet in the group tasks and you’ll be fine. Have good answers ready, with strong evidence based examples.
Hi,

Just wondering how the assessment day looks like? Group and individual exercises? Any examples what to expect? Thanks in advance.

Aspen90

Hi,

Just wondering how the assessment day looks like? Group and individual exercises? Any examples what to expect? Thanks in advance.
It’s the usual thing, introduce yourself, why do you want to be a driver, what do you do now etc. Then there’s a mix of group and individual tasks, think what skills and qualities are important for the role, you’ll need to do this as a group and as an individual where it’s a little more in depth, there’s quite a few breaks while they discuss candidates and then you usually have lunch. They will likely cut people after lunch and then depending on if they do it on the same day, you may have a driver manager interview. This can go on for 45-90 mins depending on how you get on.

Sorry, can’t be too specific as it needs to fair to all - there’s nothing to catch you out, just be yourself, don’t pretend to be what you THINK they’re looking for. Know the role and responsibilities inside out along with company info, routes, depots, rolling stock, etc.

Read up on non technical skills - this is a huge part of driving.

Hope this helps! Good luck all, it’s not a real job, it’s a paid hobby!

Tysoe

Well done to anyone who got through today. Was a strong group and disappointed to go out at this stage, probably down to a 3 minute interview. Seems a fairly impersonal process but there we go.

Good luck for stage 2 OPC for those that get there

Samzino

Well done to anyone who got through today. Was a strong group and disappointed to go out at this stage, probably down to a 3 minute interview. Seems a fairly impersonal process but there we go.

Good luck for stage 2 OPC for those that get there
Sorry about that man, was it the mmi or dmi?

Tysoe

Neither. Speed interviews. 3 questions and you get 60 seconds to answer them